Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Brooklyn Park SWAT raid on gun owner BBQ 
 Post subject: Brooklyn Park SWAT raid on gun owner BBQ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

This was posted over at http://talk.am1500.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=23480 on 4/15/2009
Quote:
Subject: Already had my Tea Party with MP-5's and a Full Tactical Team
I already had my tea party last night, approximately 20:00 hours. (8:00 PM, and I missed Sig Hanson fishing crabs too...) It featured roughly eight squads of Brooklyn Park police with MP-5's breaking up my porkchop picnic, cuffing me, my son, and son-in-law, and kneeling us down in my driveway in front of the garage, while my little grandkids cried and thought we were on an episode of Cops.

(The garage door was OPEN Mr. Mayor. Open.)

My son-in-law went into Falluja when they cleaned it out a couple of years back with the Marines and is now returning to Iraq with the Oklahoma National Guard. He's up dropping off the kids so he can go back down to Oklahoma for extended training before deployment. (My daughter, also a former Marine and Iraq vetran, is also now in the Oklahoma National Guard and so they have to go to training together and have to leave the kids with us a while.) In the course of the festivities last night, my son-in-law asked to have a look at the new rifle my son bought, and we also brought out an exotic Italian target pistol. Some arse-headed squealer driving past decided that we were threatening the neighborhood with our evil guns, sauteed mushrooms, chicken legs and pork products.

Of course, the rifle in question was an AK-47, which was ironically bought just down the street in Brooklyn Park at Mills Fleet Farm. AK's are evil to Mysterians, so obviously just seeing one in the neighborhood is cause in their minds to send out the cops for a full strip search and thorough beating of the owners. The dufus who tattled probably called in a panicked and highly inflated report of festering terrorism. I went by for the police report this morning to find the BPPD was all over the parking lot of the station apparently in the middle of some week-long FBI/Homeland Security based training. Hmm––wonder who instigated all that?

As we sat out in front of the garage last night, I had just barely got done listening to the old Mayor talk about that same issue on GL. We all had a laugh over it as I took a bite of porkchop. And gee, suddenly we noticed some earnest-looking cop taking a prone position with an assault rifle in my neighbor's bushes and some other cops pointing assault weapons at me from my mom's driveway on the other side of the yard.

The only possible rationale I can see for this extreme action is that by policy, Chief Davis of the Brooklyn Park Police Department treats the simple ownership of a firearm as probable cause for any sort of search or detention he cares to take up. If you can see a gun on the property, through a window, through the back woods, in the garage, in the back of the pickup, that's good enough to go in and jerk the resident of said abode around. Hell, you wouldn't even have to see one. You could just say you saw one and especially if you knew the residents were gun owners, you could send the Brooklyn Park SWAT Team over and roust the household. I bet they'd just turn the place over till they found some––and then what? Oh, yeah, sorry you're not a felon or wife beater and you can have a gun. Oh but you'll have to prove that to me in handcuffs any time I see you have one...or if some Obamite claims you have one.

What this means in practice, in spite of it being entirely legal to carry, pack, own, store, display firearms especially on your own property, any arsehole neighbor can call the police and they will obligingly threaten to kill you (which is what they are doing when they tell you to put your hands up and point a gun at your head by the way) and attempt to humiliate you in your own driveway on the pretext that just maybe you're a crack dealer or terrorist or something. Or worse yet, a Republican. The premise is simply that only criminals have guns. It's that simple. Basically, alleged gun possession is considered by the Brooklyn Park Police to be probable cause for search and seizure and detention. Whether that comes out of Chief Davis or through some new Homeland Security initiative is unclear.

I've something of a Rightie reputation in the neighborhood and my daughter and actually two sons-in-law are all ex Marines now in the Army Guard. (One son-in-law wasn't at the party because he's from St Paul and was already packing to head out with the Red Bull for Iraq today and we had his parties already.) So maybe it's just a convergence of all my war-vetran-in-the-window memorabilia combined with my known evil conservatism that targets me for such abuse. In that case it's obviously alright. Obviously I brought it all upon myself. I should hide my gun ownership like the dangerous mental defectives all gun owners are. It's the smart thing to do. Lay low. Maybe they'll take the Jews first and leave me alone...

But seriously. We have our rapidly-dissapointing-me president, Barack O'Bummer and his band of gun-and-conservative-hating-buttheads now running Homeland Security issuing instructions to guys like Chief Davis to be on the lookout for violent, radical Right Wing militias recruiting Iraq veterans into hate-cult death squads. Obviously, we domestic terrorists conduct these recruitment drives through the influence of Miller Lite and a good barbeque in plain sight of the public. We focus our efforts in clandestine hotbeds of citizen's militia activity, like Brooklyn Park.

Say what you will, but I never had a tactical team cuff me in my own driveway and take my guns away just on a lark when GW was running Homeland Security. See, that's what I call an actual abuse of power, not some theoretical possibility of totalitarianism I kept hearing George Bush was eventually going to get up to. Obama hasn't surrendered one lick of all that Imperial power the hateful Lefties kept crying about when they claimed ol' W was amassing it. He's just redirecting it. Face it. They hate guns. They hate conservatives. They hate people with religious convictions, and I mean absolutely hate. This whole Homeland Security farce, this fabrication, this demented, hand-wringing Wellstonite ultra-liberal paranoid delusion about some fabricated rise in hate groups with militant whiteboy gun squads killing off their beloved Barack Obama is entirely concocted from their own disturbed, partisan mental states. The "facts" they support this contention with are dummied up by the Obama administration far more gratuitously than the "evidence" for weapons of mass destruction ever was by Bush's CIA.

Mr. President. Has anyone pointed out that it's not the fat old Norskies showing off their gun toys at the family cookout who brought down those buildings in New York? Criminals don't let you know they have guns. Lawful citizens are the ones who have no reason to hide them. You've got it ass-backwards.

Which gives me pause to think:

A really cool Right Wing nutcase protest would be to have everyone sit in their front yard with a legal gun in plain view. Maybe we can pick a day like Memorial day. Leave the ammo inside. Don't weild it at anyone or anything. Just show us your guns ladies. They only have so many cops out there, and they can't roust the entire state without any probable cause just because some fuzzy peacenik neighbor doesn't like knowing someone in the hood has firearms. It would be like fireworks. And those are illegal. Sure, the little old granny-lefties will keep calling in those reports. But you can only chase down so many Roman candles.

The final irony however, was coming back in the house after it was over and finding the donation pledge for the Fraternal Order of Police I'd been filling out before the wife told me I had to start the grill. I'm still debating whether or not to put that check in the mail. Oh well. They were pretty gentle. And we talked guns a while after they took the cuffs off. They really thought this one was cool:

[Edited on 4/15/2009]
They're here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:27 pm 

And why isn't this worthy of a lawsuit? Don't police need at least a sliver of evidence of ill-intention before pointing a rifle at you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:30 pm 
The Man

djeepp wrote:
And why isn't this worthy of a lawsuit? Don't police need at least a sliver of evidence of ill-intention before pointing a rifle at you?
How much justice can the OP afford? (Forgetting that he'd lose.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Medals incoming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, I'd be seriously pissed. Brooklyn Park PD needs a little education as to what constitutes legal handling of firearms.

As for the statements that the President had something to do with it... :roll: ...I'll attribute those to (understandable) frustration.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

So, does anyone really know if Chief Davis is a liberal who now takes orders from the President?

It's at least possible that this was just the result of adly trained officers......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

If I recall correctly, Brooklyn Park is the suburb that attempted to ban all guns, squirtguns, and gun shaped toys last year via city ord.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:25 pm 

I believe that Chief Davis is pretty new to the office and young (under 40), and might respond to such reports with a little more apprehension and aggresiveness than an older Chief that grew up in a time where neighbors or family in the town owned and used firearms in a safe, legal, and responsible manner (except for Chaska's Chief 'Bling' or fmr Mpls police Chief Tony Bouza). Maybe it's also being in Brooklyn Park, which, along with Brooklyn Center, don't show up in the local news as with descriptions as 'Xanadu'-like or 'Lake Woebegonian', despite Gary K. growing up in the 'Park many years past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:57 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
If I recall correctly, Brooklyn Park is the suburb that attempted to ban all guns, squirtguns, and gun shaped toys last year via city ord.

Yes they did and now that you remind me, I need to go figure out if they fixed that or if I need to write more letters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:14 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:

WHAT??? I have lived "here" for 10 years and know nothing of this -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ronin069 wrote:
WHAT??? I have lived "here" for 10 years and know nothing of this -

Brooklyn Park bans firearms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

i knew that parts of what i thought were safer areas of BP (north of 85th) were seeing more crime and repeat burglarys but i did not know that things had gotten so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:39 am 
Journeyman Member

Pffft.

My significant other and I lived in the Villa Del Coronado apartments on Zane, just south of 85th, for exactly one year. We had lots of little incidents, like gunfire directly outside out window, people getting their ass beat in the entry way, cars flying through the parking lot 35 mph in reverse, loud parties, vandalized cars galore....you name it.

There was also this obnoxious barking dog, owned by someone in one of the houses that bordered the parking lot, that literally yapped for 4-5 hours a day non-stop. The BPPD were completely non-responsive, the times I called them...and there were a few, especially regarding that goddamn dog.

Sometimes, they'd just make a 20 mph fly-by of the area in their squad car....not even bothering to look into what was actually going on. I suppose I pissed them off by cutting into their donut-eating time.

That's not to say that VDC is a shithole complex, because there were some pretty decent people who lived and worked there. The big problems were caused by the 'urban gentlemen' from the adjoining neighborhood, which appeared to contain lots of run-down looking subsidized housing. I don't think I need to elaborate further.

After our experience there, I can't help but wonder why any decent person would actually want to live in that hellhole city, and I say that without sarcasm. And as far as I'm concerned, the Brooklyn Park city council can take their gun ban and ram it straight up their collective asses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:56 am 

My ex-wife lived just north of the Ville de Coronado complex in Kensington Estates for roughly 3 months. Talk about a place to be on edge. The complex pool was drained and locked up permanently (she left in July, so it would have been pool season) and the manager's office door had a drop slot that you could barely get a set of keys through if you were leaving the place and dropping them off. Garbage and toys were thrown on top of the garage unit instead of being taken the whole 50 yards to the dumpsters. Good thing she was shacked up with a burly ex-con to keep her safe :roll:
About a year after she left, the section where her apartment was burned up due to some resident breaking a gas line while moving a stove. My fears were not for her, but my stepkids that were there for a couple of months. Fortunately, nothing dramatic happened except for a domestic in the unit below her that she called in.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.