Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 NRA Statement regarding Hunter's "Convenience" bil 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am 
Wise Elder

Note: According to NRA's 2005 filing with the state Campaign Finance Board, NRA spent not a penny on lobbying in Minnesota in 2005, the year in which GOCRA/CCRN alone got the Carry Permit bill re-enacted in less than five weeks. The professional lobbyists at the capitol still refer to this as an "amazing feat."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
Note: According to NRA's 2005 filing with the state Campaign Finance Board, NRA spent not a penny on lobbying in Minnesota in 2005, the year in which GOCRA/CCRN alone got the Carry Permit bill re-enacted in less than five weeks. The professional lobbyists at the capitol still refer to this as an "amazing feat."

I think we were lucky the NRA wasn't involved. The result was a very good carry law. The NRA would have compromised the bill to death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:04 pm 
The Man

sigman wrote:
kimberman wrote:

I think we were lucky the NRA wasn't involved. The result was a very good carry law. The NRA would have compromised the bill to death.
Oh, no, they wouldn't have -- it was much worse than that.

After the Appeals Court decision in 2005, NRA wanted to hold off taking any action until the 2006 election. (And we all know how well that went here.)

Really.

If we in Minnesota had followed NRA's lead, we would not have the MCPPA today unless we'd managed to win at the MN Supreme Court.

Really. The NRA came in only late -- and, yes, they were of some help, -- once it was clear that we were going to get it done. I could tell you why they did, but I'd rather not at the moment. But it wasn't because of the wisdom of the staffers at ILA.

This is why some of us -- me, say -- get downright irked when we're told by the folks in Virginia that they know better than we do how to get things done here, and that our only job is to give them money and follow their directions.

I really had hoped that we'd be able to get this problem solved without going into such details -- and more -- in public, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that we're going to have to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Details
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

Well I would certainly like to know as the NRA is one gun group who gets some of my money and if they do not deserve it I will happily give it to another group that does.

"We are therefore persuaded that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment incorporates the Second Amendment and applies it against the states and local governments." Nordyke v. King 4/20/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Details
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm 
The Man

ScottM wrote:
Well I would certainly like to know as the NRA is one gun group who gets some of my money and if they do not deserve it I will happily give it to another group that does.
I'm not going to say that NRA isn't worth belonging to, or giving money to, 'cause that's not what I believe.

I will say that, demonstrably, a buck given to GOCRA will do a lot more good in MN than $500 given to NRA.

Last edited by joelr on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joel. Joel! Are you forgetting this gem?:
Quote:
Renegade gun rights outfits can only justify their existence by disagreeing with the NRA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:53 pm 
The Man

Traveler wrote:
Joel. Joel! Are you forgetting this gem?:
Quote:
Renegade gun rights outfits can only justify their existence by disagreeing with the NRA.
No. And I'm finding it difficult to restrain myself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

And to think I came within a couple inches of becoming a Life Member recently. Whew.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

While I, like many, have not always agreed with the NRA's position on legislation on Federal or State levels, and I do not agree with their apparent stance on this one. And the letters are going out to them in that regard. I do think that they have done allot for gun owners and are still a worthwhile organization. I also don't believe in putting all ones eggs (or ammo) in one basket. That is why I belong to and contribute to a number of gun owners rights organizations.

This is not in any way meant as a sarcastic question, just an honest inquiry, Where is the GOCRA, GOA on HF1238?

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:51 am 
Wise Elder

GOCRA always does what Kimberman (together with JoelR, Andrew, and the two Davids) tells it to do. :shock:

So, it is opposing the current version of the uncased/unloaded bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:47 am 
The Man

parap1445 wrote:
While I, like many, have not always agreed with the NRA's position on legislation on Federal or State levels, and I do not agree with their apparent stance on this one. And the letters are going out to them in that regard. I do think that they have done allot for gun owners and are still a worthwhile organization. I also don't believe in putting all ones eggs (or ammo) in one basket. That is why I belong to and contribute to a number of gun owners rights organizations.

This is not in any way meant as a sarcastic question, just an honest inquiry, Where is the GOCRA, GOA on HF1238?
Entirely fair question. GOA doesn't get involved in national issues. Since, as is no secret, Kimberman shaves Professor Joseph Olson, President of GOCRA (and also wears his clothes, drives his car, sleeps with his wife, etc., etc.) when Kimberman suggests that X is the position of GOCRA, x is the position of GOCRA.

GOCRA is taking the point on this; hopefully, enough legislators will get the point to kill this bad idea. As I'd probably put it, were I being a bit crude, "Nice voting record you have here, Representative. Shame if something were to happen to it. Perfect records break, you know . . . "

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 am 
Raving Moderate

joelr wrote:
GOCRA is taking the point on this; hopefully, enough legislators will get the point to kill this bad idea. As I'd probably put it, were I being a bit crude, "Nice voting record you have here, Representative. Shame if something were to happen to it. Perfect records break, you know . . . "

Thanks. Now I have visions of two large Italian gentlemen in ill-fitting suits campaigning for gun rights... :lol:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:53 am 
The Man

Jeremiah wrote:
joelr wrote:

Thanks. Now I have visions of two large Italian gentlemen in ill-fitting suits campaigning for gun rights... :lol:
Nah. All the Mafia can do is kill a guy.

We can make them live forever.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The official response
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm 

Here is a letter from NRA Lobbyist Chris Rager.

Quote:

As you are aware, Representatives David Dill (DFL-6A) and Tony Cornish (R-24B) have included uncased and unloaded provisions in the Omnibus Game and Fish bill (HF1238). The legislation is currently pending before the House Finance Committee. After reviewing the legislation, NRA is officially neutral on the uncased and unloaded hunting provisions.

The provisions would allow the vast majority of hunters in the state to carry uncased, unloaded rifles and bows in their vehicles while hunting.  Currently, there is a statewide casing requirement that is detrimental to all hunters.  Unfortunately, during the process, certain counties and cities were excluded from the scope of this provision (approximately 5% of the state’s land mass) and there is concern that this will lead to a “second class” of gun owners in the state and a possible precedent for future gun issues.

NRA views the cased gun and bow bill differently because it is an issue entirely incidental to the act of hunting and target shooting.  If the provisions focused on a fundamental issue related to the right to self-defense or general gun ownership/possession, rest assured the NRA would strongly oppose any limitation of firearm rights. 

While certainly not perfect, this bill does not create a second-class of gun owners any more than existing laws--as they relate to gun hunting inside and outside of urban jurisdictions in Minnesota.  A citizen walking down the streets of St. Paul with a loaded slug gun during deer season would be treated differently by the authorities than another citizen doing the same thing at the same time on public hunting grounds outside of Hibbing.

NRA has faced similar issues in other states.  A good example is handgun hunting.  There are a number of states that allow hunters to carry and use handguns for hunting. But, the states do not allow carry by others not engaged in the act of hunting.  Because firearms hunting in these states is generally disallowed in more densely populated areas, some could make the argument with regard to the Minnesota bill – that it creates second-class gun owners.  NRA would disagree here too.

Some suggest that this bill is solely serving the convenience of a few hunters.  NRA would contend that it is much more meaningful than this.  In the more rural areas of Minnesota where deer drives are common, hunting groups would be allowed to make the decision for themselves as to whether they have a cased or uncased policy while moving from one area to another in vehicles. 

Many hunters may, for legitimate safety reasons, choose to keep guns uncased so that the members of the group could visually determine whether the various firearms are “safe” (i.e. action open).  Also, individuals who have hunted in large groups where casing is required have all recognized that the most common instances of lost muzzle discipline are while people are going through the relatively awkward manipulation associated with casing.  This legislation could enhance safety in those areas where group/drive hunting is most prevalent by allowing hunters to keep things as simple as possible.

As you know, one of our recent campaigns across the country is to repeal unnecessary or harassing hunting regulations.  NRA knows that these are part of the problem associated with the decline in hunter participation.  The cased gun and bow law is certainly one of these regulations (it happens to be state law in Minnesota).  If NRA can remove this in the areas most commonly hunted, as is being done in the bill, we should.

Across the country, Americans have lost their rights incrementally.  NRA has taken the position that we will work to incrementally regain these rights if political circumstances prevent comprehensive action.  The fact is that no gun owner in the state is losing ground because of the bill, but the vast majority of those who hunt are gaining.  Of course, there will be no problems that are caused by allowing uncased rifles and bows in the majority of the state.  NRA will use this experience in the future to work to apply the provision state-wide.

Because this urban/rural distinction is being made only incidental to hunting, NRA does not believe that it will successfully be used in the future to make distinctions between the two with regard to fundamental gun ownership and self-defense rights.

The interests of NRA members, firearm owners, hunters, and outdoor enthusiasts in Minnesota—and nationwide—continue to be a paramount concern to the NRA. And the NRA will continue to work with Minnesota’s legislators and constituents to enact uniform state-wide uncased and unloaded provisions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 pm 

So...he just copy and pasted.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.