Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 NRA -- Strongly OPPOSE Rep. Paymar's Anti-Gun Amdt 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 pm 
The Man

David Gross wrote:
Apparently, there's more to this parliamentary procedure and understandings of what various people will do under various circumstances and with their various principles and beliefs than I can process, personally. It appears to be a fluid situation at ALL times.
Yup. Remember in 2002, when we finally got our promised floor vote in the Senate -- seconds after Roger Moe was able to arrange for us to lose?
Quote:

As I understand it, Joyce Peppin's absence had to do with "family matters" and involving younger children. My guess is that's a "pass."
Yup.
Quote:
Who's the third person?
I don't see any vote from Emmer, or from Wagenius (she would have been against us), or Winkler; member list at http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/c ... comm=86106.
Quote:
Did Mary Kiffmeyer's walk perform as "bait" in a trap? Did they know that Steve Simon would abstain? When DO they count all these noses and know what it means? It's over my head. I know that I do feel a whole lot better knowing that I can trust some of our friends, for example, Tom Hackbarth and "Smiling" Steve Smith.
Yup, to that last. To the other questions, I don't know, and I'm not entirely sure I need to.

I didn't know what was going to happen when Steve Smith smiled at me when I walked in, but I was strongly of the impression that it was going to be good. That it was going to be this good came as a surprise.

Which doesn't mean that this pig of a bill can't come back to life and try to get in the House again.

Ever watchful, and all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:51 pm 

Forgive the side question from the politically ignorant, but what does it mean to "lay the bill on the table"? Is that the same thing as 'withdrawing the motion'? Several references above differentiate that phrase from 'tabling', which to me would mean to delay until later.

Thanks,
BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Friends,

As I mentioned in my last email, we had a temporary success when Rep. Paymar could not muster the votes needed to put his anti-Second amendment provisions on to another bill in committee several weeks ago. Unfortunately, Rep. Paymar has not given up in his effort to erode our Second Amendment rights.

Last night in the House Finance Committee, Rep. Paymar offered an amendment to the Omnibus Game and Fish Bill that would severely limit private citizens' ability to sell or transfer firearms at gun shows. Unfortunately, the amendment went on to the bill. I spoke against and voted against the amendment, but we were out numbered. Thankfully, Rep. David Dill, the author of the bill and a pro-Second Amendment legislator, decided to "table" the bill after the amendment went on so the bill did not get voted out of committee.

We need to remain ever vigilant on this critical issue. I can assure you that I'll continue to work on your behalf here in St. Paul.

Paul Kohls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:13 pm 
The Man

plblark wrote:
Did you notice when the security left? Once we left the room, so did they ...
Cool. I didn't notice them, but I'm grateful. After that time that Skogie tried to pick a fight with one of our folks on the steps, I'm always happy when the Exec Protection folks are around to protect us from flaky antis. I'm spoiled; it's gotten so that I expect it, and don't even notice it anymore.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Security at last night's Finance Committee hearing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:14 pm 
Yes, *that* David Gross

plblark wrote:
Did you notice when the security left? Once we left the room, so did they ...

Nope! I missed that entirely. As I recall, we were ALL extremely well-behaved: no cat-calls, jeers, or any other comments of any kind. My take on it was that we ALL observed the proceedings in an interested and respectful manner, having any discussions and exchanges of information in very muffled tones as befits Nice Minnesotans. When I looked over, several times, the security officer was also watching the proceedings.

We were clearly noticed by the Committee Members and had our necessary and legitimate impact. But there were no comments by the Committee as to our presence and our conduct. Again, Steve Smith and Tom Hackbarth were glad that we were there; and our presence caused them no anxiety or embarrassment. The Committee Members had to look at us to remember that we were there, and I, personally, made eye contact (and nodded to) with several of them as they looked around to observe our reactions to their comments/statements.

Our presence and demeanor was a "non-event" with a huge impact.

Post subject: Exec Protection folks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 pm 
The Man

I never mentioned this publicly before, but after the unpleasantness surrounding the repassage of the MCPPA, upon consultation with counsel (for those of you who missed it: there was a clumsy attempt to stop the repassage by framing me; it failed dramatically and quickly) and friend (same guy) I decided that it would be a good thing if I showed up at the House for the hearing and passage that some [deleted] had tried to sink.

There were a few moments of merriment involving the then-Speaker, Steve Sviggum, and at some point, Captain (then Lieutenant) Mary came over and introduced herself -- I'd never met her before, although she and David had talked on the phone the day before, and I'd chatted with her briefly -- and when I took my seat in the gallery, she found herself a very interesting sort of seat for awhile.

I think the antis glaring at me were trying to talk themselves into thinking all sorts of stuff, but I saw where Captain Mary's eyes kept going, and who she was watching, and I've rarely felt safer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:50 pm 
The Man

BigBlue wrote:
Forgive the side question from the politically ignorant, but what does it mean to "lay the bill on the table"? Is that the same thing as 'withdrawing the motion'? Several references above differentiate that phrase from 'tabling', which to me would mean to delay until later.

Thanks,
BB
Sure. A "withdrawal" is a more permanent action. Tabling a bill (here, in the US; in the UK it means the opposite) is to withdraw a bill from consideration.

Somebody with more knowledge of parliamentary practice in general and MN lege practice in particular should weigh in on this -- please? -- but my understanding is that after a Chief Author tables his bill in committee, it takes some fairly serious gymnastics to bring it back up again, per se, but less serious ones to bring the content of it up on the floor, as an amendment to a "germane" bill. (A "germane" bill is one that covers enough of the same subject that the new stuff is at least kinda sorta relevant.)

Now, if somebody were still planning on pushing the uncased stuff with the metro cutout -- or, say, a gun show "loophole" bill that's really backdoor gun registration -- there will be many opportunities for them to try to do so until the legislature goes home. Sorry; that's republican democracy, in action.

Fortunately, we have an NRA liaison here in Minnesota (well, often here in Minnesota) whose job it is to watch for such things.

(To be clear: I've not asked for nor have I received assurances from Chris that he won't try to slide the uncased stuff with the metro cutout into something else. It's a serious matter, as trivial as the casing issue really is, on which he and I disagree. I'll be downright irked if that were to happen, and doubly irked if it were to happen without sufficient notice, but that's another matter.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:51 pm 
The Man

... and, just to add on, if Dill untables his bill, he untables what it is -- complete with the Paymar amendment. I don't think he'll want to do that. I'm pretty sure that he oughtn't to want to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

This just in from Rep. Cornish:

Quote:
Please take me off your mailing list

Ah, yes, who was that person that advised me in somewhat strong terms that he is "one of the good guys"? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:32 pm 

Traveler wrote:

Quote:

Ah, yes, who was that person that advised me in somewhat strong terms that he is "one of the good guys"? :roll:

WTF?! I thought for sure he was a REPRESENTATIVE. I guess he thinks your just an annoyance instead of a constituent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:45 pm 
The Man

Traveler wrote:

Quote:

That would, I believe, be me. I think he is, but I don't think he's behaving very well at all at the moment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:

Quote:

Personally, I'd tell him that he's SOL as long as he's in office. If he doesn't want to hear from the citizens of Minnesota, he needs to find a new line of work.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

err... My e-mail thank you's and what they were for have been moved to strategy ...

I was in a hurry and sloppy, sorry - PLB

Last edited by plblark on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:29 pm 

plblark wrote:
moved to strategy

Which is where?

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am pleased that we won this battle for now. I hope everyone realizes how important this forum has become as a way to keep us informed. My own representative was surprised that I can become so quickly informed.
Thank you Joel and everyone else who takes part. My hat is off to all of you for another job well done.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.