Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 NRA -- Strongly OPPOSE Rep. Paymar's Anti-Gun Amdt 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:54 pm 
Journeyman Member

I too, would like to take this opportunity to publicly acknowledge the great resource this forum is in keeping us all well informed on the legislative issues affecting our 2A rights as well as other issues pertaining to carry and firearms in general. My hat is off to Joel for creating and maintaining the forum. Having the likes of Prof. Joe Olson and David Gross as well as people like Joel, Andrew and many others keeping us informed is an invaluable resource that is greatly appreciated along with the work you all have done to secure and further our rights.

In short; THANK YOU!

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:58 pm 
The Man

You're welcome, of course.

Add plblark to the list, though; he ran much of what went on in St. Paul yesterday, and did a bang-up (so to speak) job, as well as doing great stuff on the Forum, and, well, lots of other great stuff.

Me, I'm glad I got there in time to watch the show. I know it's hard to break away at the last minute -- I too often can't -- but if you can, next time, please do. And not just for the others and all, but because, when it goes well, it's about as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Damn...I don't check into the forum for a few days and end up missing all this excitement.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Citizens for a "Safer" Minnesota's take on it:

Quote:
Dear lenny7,

Thanks to an outpouring of hundreds of emails from you, the House Finance Committee on Tuesday night voted to close the gun show loophole! Rep. Michael Paymar's amendment to the Game and Fish bill passed 12-11. (For more detail, scroll down.)

It's time to celebrate!! Join us Saturday, May 2, from 4:45 to 7 p.m. at the Urban League, 2100 Plymouth Ave. N. Minneapolis, following the day-long Promoting Peace in Our Communities conference. RSVP by replying to this email, clicking here, or visiting www.blahblahblah.com. (A donation is requested.)

We would like to thank the representatives who voted to close the gun show loophole: Reps. John Benson, Bobby Champion, Karen Clark, Mindy Greiling, Alice Hausman, Phyllis Kahn, Kate Knuth, Ann Lenczewski, Michael Paymar, Nora Slawik, Lyndon Carlson, and Paul Thissen. You can thank all of them at once by clicking here.

There is much more work to do. Your participation and support helps us to educate the public about gun violence prevention and work for sensible policy around guns. If you can't be with us Saturday, please consider making a donation by going to www.blahblahblah.com.

Thank you for all you do,

Heather Martens
Executive Director
Citizens for a Safer Minnesota
www.blahblahblah.com

More about the bill, debate and vote

The gun show loophole bill would require a background check before the sale of any gun sale at a gun show. Current law requires such checks only if the seller is a Federally licensed dealer. To become law, this measure will need to pass in the House and Senate.

Before the meeting, the NRA sent out emails claiming that only 1 percent of crime guns come from gun shows, a figure based on interviews with convicts. But during the committee discussion, Rep. Paymar made it clear that the ATF has identified gun shows as a major trafficking channel. Convicts who are not themselves gun traffickers have little understanding of the gun trafficking pipeline. From 2004 to 2006, the ATF made one arrest for every 1.6 gun shows investigated. (An excellent new report on no-check gun sales can be found at http://www.blahblahblah.org/xshare/pdf/ ... report.pdf)

Quotes of the day:

Rep. Al Juhnke, to Rep. Bobby Champion of North Minneapolis: "If I lived in your district, I'd vote for everything (gun regulation)."

Rep. Tom Hackbarth to one of our supporters by email:
"I do not support infringing upon a person's second amendment right; or any of their constitutional rights!"

The votes

Voting against were Reps. Laura Brod, Mark Buesgens, Pat Garofalo, Tom Hackbarth, Bill Hilty, Al Juhnke, Paul Kohls, Tom Rukavina, Ron Shimanski, Steve Smith, Loren Solberg.

Abstention: Rep. Steve Simon.

Absent: Reps. Tom Emmer, Larry Howes, Tom Huntley, Mary Kiffmeyer, Mary Murphy, Gene Pelowski, Joyce Peppin, Marty Seifert, Ryan Winkler, Jean Wagenius.

For more information, and to stay posted on what happens next with the bill, visit our web site, www.blahblahblah.com.

I changed all the websites mentioned. It probably doesn't matter here, but why provide the link.

No mention that the bill was tabled.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:32 am 

joelr wrote:
aofpol wrote:
Just showing up at committee hearings makes a big difference. That shows legislators:

-- You're concerned about a particular issue or bill
-- You're watching what legislators are doing
-- You'll report back to your people the legislator's decision, whether in-favor or against your cause
-- Your people will tell like-minded people about the hearing and it's results; that will influence future elections;

Good job on short notice last night. And great, great poster!

One thing I might suggest: Publish the committee vote results; who were the 12 in-favor; who were the 11 against?

Al Fingulin
For those who came in late .... there are three nonlegislators without whom most of you would not have your carry permits: Joe Olson, David Gross, and Al Fingulin. (There's lots of other important folks, like Lonn and John and Tim, and lesser players like me, all of whom were important, but if any one of us had gotten run over by a truck, the bill would still have passed. Without Joe and David taking point, and Alfred teaching us all how to do grassroots activism on this, it just plain wouldn't have happened.)

Showing up is half the battle. The legislators know that for six working guys to show up on short notice, there's dozens or hundreds that would pack the room if they had enough time, and that there's literally thousands and thousands who are watching, and just about all of them vote.

Honest: people like Joe and lesser lights like me don't often ask you to show up for a hearing or demonstration in St. Paul. We don't ask that lightly; but when we do, it's important. If you can't, you can't; but if you can, please do.

OK...the above is an answer to my question "What good does having 8 or 20 regular citizens [old, fat white guys] attend a stupid committe meeting do"

Some of those attending were central to passing the 2003 bill...that's important but this is good grass roots politics...

I just have this idea that PROPAGANDA IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN DIRECT POLITICAL ACTION.

And what I mean by PROPAGANDA is the bullshit that the anti-protestors are doing like having a "Die-In" on the capitol steps...or when Wes Skoglund wore a bullet-proof vest on the Senate floor during the 2003 vote.

PROPAGANDA

Propaganda is the dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of people. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense, often presents information primarily in order to influence its audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the attitude toward the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda.

That's the Wikipedia definition...I like that they got to the core of the issue..."Lying by omission"

My very thin point here is that it's frustrating to see the anti 2A opposition be successful at PROPAGANDA with their willing accomplices in the main stream media.

I liked the Pig Poster.

Just got my renewal permit in the mail (30 days from Hennepin County) and I am grateful to those who worked hard to allow me to enjoy the protection of a firearm.

Thanks to all for showing up at that committe meeting....Is there anything a little more "in your face" going on ???

....something like a poster featuring Heather Martens as the Wicked Witch of The West applying prohibition to Firearms.

or using the Images of Crime victims "in your Face" to the anti's...I've memorized the names of 5 Minnesotans who'd be alive if they would have defended themselves with firearms:

Dru Sjodin
Katie Pourier
Michael Zebuhr
Alan Reiter
Mark Loesch

I'd like to get ahold of the crime scene photos of the Mark Loesch Murder and pass them around at the Capitol...his skull was caved in with an Aluminum Baseball bat while out for an evening bike ride.

Rant over...

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:03 pm 

Is Dill's bill coming back up to committee? Or another similar one? I just got the following from my Rep (a member of the Finance committee) who was responding to my prior e-mails on Dill's bill:

Quote:
We are going to try to take this out again in Finance tomorrow. Stay tuned...

I've asked her for clarification but I thought I'd ask here too.

BB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.