Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Data Practices Act Question 
 Post subject: Data Practices Act Question
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:13 pm 

Not sure if this is the right area for this - I'm interested in filing a request for some information, and I'm having a hard time figuring out if some of the information i'm looking for is going to be released.

I know, for example, that a written report would have to be turned over, but would a citizen also be entitled to the research/memos/documentation that this report was based on? Internal emails? emails or letters with outside agencies that they used in their decision making process?

If this is unclear, I'll clarify as best I can... does anyone have any experience with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

AR has a sample letter in the reference section: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=12077

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:44 pm 

I have seen the sample letter - I was looking for input on what they can hold back, and what they have to release. I don't want to spend the time making the request if they don't have to turn over what I'm looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Spend the time.

No offense intended, but how long does it take to write a letter, given that you have a template?

And, maybe with a little offense intended, why are you asking us to spend time answering your questions, even drawing out details, when you aren't even willing to write the damn letter? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:22 pm 

Quote:
Spend the time.

OK, I will.

Quote:
No offense intended, but how long does it take to write a letter, given that you have a template?

It isn't the writing of the letter that will take time, I'm more thinking about the process afterward if (as I suspect will happen) the request is not met in full.

Quote:
And, maybe with a little offense intended, why are you asking us to spend time answering your questions, even drawing out details, when you aren't even willing to write the damn letter?

I was asking, because I figured if someone had already made a request for working papers or internal correspondence from, say, the BCA and been slapped down even after trying to appeal a denial, I'd save myself the grief, and expense of fighting the same battle again.

I've always thought that it made sense to 'work smarter, not harder', but I'm sorry if asking a question which I couldn't find an answer to anywhere here on the forum or on the interwebs is a waste of your time.

Why bother having a forum if you're going to get pissy when people, you know, ask questions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Keep asking questions. Some of us respond differently than others. 99% of the time, you will get a real answer, at least as best as the group can offer, if you ask a legit question. I see your question as legit. Unfortunately, I have not tackled this issue and can not offer specific information. Someone will be along shortly to provide you with what you seek. :)

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:56 am 

The laws governing what they are supposed to turn over is here: https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/rev ... chapter=13

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

thePKOR wrote:
I've always thought that it made sense to 'work smarter, not harder', but I'm sorry if asking a question which I couldn't find an answer to anywhere here on the forum or on the interwebs is a waste of your time.

Why bother having a forum if you're going to get pissy when people, you know, ask questions?

It's all about attitude. Getting someone else to do the work is certainly "working smarter." But when you simultaneously say that you don't want to waste time, and ask us to spend ours, that's gonna rub some of us the wrong way.

Read the statute that Jeff provided. Then, if you have questions, you can contact the Data Practices office at the state.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:06 am 
The Man

Since I think there's been enough grumpiness hereabouts for the time being, a general observation: by and large, the folks who have gotten their own work credits in tend to be more helpful and sympathetic to people who are already getting their own in than in people who are talking about doing it -- even if that talk is entirely sincere.

"I put in a DP request to VerySnottyPD for the world (I figured I should ask for the world and settle for Hawaii) and they're ignoring it; a redacted copy of my request follows. Anybody got any ideas?" is likely to generate a fair amount of interest.

"I'm considering writing a letter, but I'm not sure exactly how to ask for what I want. Here's some details." Ditto.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.