Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Paymar to introduce "Gun Show" bill on House floor 
 Post subject: Paymar to introduce "Gun Show" bill on House floor
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:51 am 
Longtime Regular

From CSM:

Quote:
Subject: Historic House vote on closing gun show loophole! Act today!

Dear Andrew,

Thanks to your e-actions last week, the Minnesota House will have a historic chance to close the gun show loophole as early as today! Rep. Michael Paymar will offer an amendment on the House floor and needs you to voice your support! Click here to act!

The gun show loophole allows assault weapons and other firearms to be sold legally by unlicensed sellers at gun shows without a background check. Urge Minnesota House members to support the Paymar amendment today!

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has identified gun shows as a "major trafficking channel," with over 25,000 guns trafficked through gun shows in one 17-month period alone. Mexican drug cartels are using U.S. gun shows to buy the weapons they are using to assassinate police officials. This is unacceptable. This is one reason why the Minnesota Chiefs of Police Association favors closing the gun show loophole. Eighty-two percent of the Minnesota public supports background checks for all gun sales, according to the U of M Center for Survey Research.

We went to a gun show earlier this year in Minnesota, where unlicensed sellers had AR-15s, AK-47s and semiautomatic pistols with high-capacity magazines available for sale with no background check. This is happening in our state, and it must stop before more lives are lost.

Click here to take action today!

Thank you for taking action!

Heather Martens
Executive Director
Citizens for a Safer Minnesota

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:58 am 

any recommended course of action on this one?

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 am 

I highly doubt that Heather even talked to these supposed "unlicensed dealers" because the guns scared her enough without having to talk to the evil people selling the guns.

A pack of complete lies. Only people I have seen at gun shows selling AR's are DEALERS. Licensed dealers at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Call your rep and urge them to vote down the measure. If they are pro-gun, make sure they don't leave early. Friday afternoons are a good time to slip in crap like this when representatives are less likely to be present.

Post subject: Please pick up the phone now
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:05 am 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Call your rep and urge them to vote down the measure. If they are pro-gun, make sure they don't leave early. Friday afternoons are a good time to slip in crap like this when representatives are less likely to be present.
Yup. What he said. And if you know a few at least supposedly pro-gun reps, too, like, oh, Dill (651-296-2190) on the DFL side and Cornish (651-296-4240) on the Republican side, it'd be a good idea to call them, as well.

Keep the message simple: "Please stop Representative Paymar's Gun Show / Gun Registration amendment."

'Scuse me; I gotta go make some phone calls. You, too, please.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:25 am 

Where did CSM get this information? I have called four different numbers and can't get any information concerning if this is in fact going to happen today and to what bill he is trying to tack this on to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:27 am 
The Man

djeepp wrote:
Where did CSM get this information?
First approximation: from Paymar. He and CSM are thick as <s>thieves</s> unlicensed redistributionists.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:56 am 

Cornish's assistant told me that Mr. Cornish would be calling me back. Has anyone else gotten this response? I'd be very surprised if he did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:00 am 
The Man

djeepp wrote:
Cornish's assistant told me that Mr. Cornish would be calling me back. Has anyone else gotten this response? I'd be very surprised if he did.
Me, too; I just got voicemail. That's okay.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:34 am 

I'm guessing this amendment will be attempted to be attached to HF1231 "Dedicated funding provided for Natural resource and cultural heritage, and money appropriated."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:11 pm 
Wise Elder

THIS IS IT.

Number 13 on the Supplemental Calendar for the day (5-9-09) is HF954, the NICS Compliance Act, sponsored by Rep. John Lesch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

Considering that Mr. Cornish essentially told me to ESAD, I will pass on most of this.

I detect a certain amount of petulance on his part, which leads me to believe that since the "lay your shotgun on the car dash" bill didn't make it he might waver a bit on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm 

djeepp wrote:

Just got the same reponse; was mildly suprised they asked for my phone#.

We shall see... :roll:

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:48 pm 

kimberman wrote:
THIS IS IT.

Number 13 on the Supplemental Calendar for the day (5-9-09) is HF954, the NICS Compliance Act, sponsored by Rep. John Lesch.

Where and when do we show up for this latest dog and pony show?

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:00 pm 
The Man

boomingmetropolis wrote:
kimberman wrote:
THIS IS IT.

Where and when do we show up for this latest dog and pony show?
Well, unless they try to sneak it through today -- minimal chance -- it won't happen until well after they get under way tomorrow, I think.

I dunno. I don't have a class scheduled tomorrow, and St. Paul's been kind of pretty, of late; just might want to wander over.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.