Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 HF1132 and SF 1116 Dead? 
 Post subject: HF1132 and SF 1116 Dead?
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looking here, here, and here, I am failing to see any mention of either of these bills passing?

I am a noob at this so I am not popping any champagne corks yet or wiping my brow and saying "whew". I could easily be mistaken with all these technicalities.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

1132 passed the House last week, Joel and I were both tuned in and saw it happen...

Not sure where the Senate bill is sitting at the moment.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
1132 passed the House last week, Joel and I were both tuned in and saw it happen...

Not sure where the Senate bill is sitting at the moment.

-Mark

Stuck in the rules and administration committee.

It should be dead, unless it's revived during a special session, right?

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hinfo/ ... oryid=1911

Quote:
Omnibus game, fish bill on its way to the governor Published (5/18/2009)

The omnibus game, fish and forestry bill is on its way to the governor following passage of a conference committee report by the House and Senate.

Sponsored by Rep. David Dill (DFL-Crane Lake) and Sen. Satveer Chaudhary (DFL-Fridley) HF1132*/SF1110 was passed by the House and Senate 113-15 and 51- 13, respectively.

It includes several new provisions pertaining to fishing. For example, persons age 90 and older could fish without a license. A Senate provision to allow for the importation of golden shiner minnows as bait, which the Department of Natural Resources opposed, failed. Lifetime spearing licenses for residents were added to the list of provisions and would cost between $173 and $372 depending upon the angler’s age. Fishing contest organizers could avoid the permit process if these additional conditions are met: 25 or fewer boats are competing, if the contest is limited to rough fish or if the total prize value is $500 or less. Let’s Go Fishing of Minnesota would receive $300,000 for the next biennium for outreach grants to help establish new chapters of the community program.

A couple of hunting changes were approved, such as allowing uncased firearms and bows in vehicles while hunting, except in Anoka, Hennepin and Ramsey counties. Free deer licenses would be available to discharged service men or women.

Buses carrying students on school-sanctioned trips to state parks would no longer be charged park admission.

The Northshore Trail between Duluth and Two Harbors also would be renamed in honor of C. J. Ramstad, an outdoor enthusiast and publisher who was killed in a motor vehicle accident.

The House language to allow anglers to use two lines when fishing was removed from the bill, as was a provision for baiting bears on private land.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

OK - they changed the Senate Bill number. That's what threw me off.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:37 pm 
Wise Elder

As enacted:

Quote:
44.30 Sec. 40. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97B.045, is amended by adding a
44.31subdivision to read:
45.1 Subd. 3. Exceptions; hunting and shooting ranges. (a) Notwithstanding
45.2provisions to the contrary under this chapter, a person may transport an unloaded, uncased
45.3firearm, excluding a pistol as defined in paragraph (b), in a motor vehicle while at a
45.4shooting range, as defined under section 87A.01, subdivision 3, where the person has
45.5received permission from the lawful owner or possessor to discharge firearms; lawfully
45.6hunting on private or public land; or travelling to or from a site the person intends to hunt
45.7lawfully that day or has hunted lawfully that day, unless:
45.8(1) within Anoka, Hennepin, or Ramsey county;
45.9(2) within an area where the discharge of a firearm has been prohibited under section
45.10471.633;
45.11(3) within the boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city with a population
45.12of 2,500 or more;
45.13(4) on school grounds; or
45.14(5) otherwise restricted under section 97A.091, 97B.081, or 97B.086.
45.15(b) For the purposes of this section, a "pistol" includes a weapon designed to be fired
45.16by the use of a single hand and with an overall length less than 26 inches, or having a
45.17barrel or barrels of a length less than 18 inches in the case of a shotgun or having a barrel
45.18of a length less than 16 inches in the case of a rifle:
45.19(1) from which may be fired or ejected one or more solid projectiles by means
45.20of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or
45.21explosive substances; or
45.22(2) for which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, air or
45.23other gas, or vapor.
45.24Pistol does not include a device firing or ejecting a shot measuring .18 of an inch, or less,
45.25in diameter and commonly known as a "BB gun," a scuba gun, a stud gun, or nail gun
45.26used in the construction industry or children's pop guns or toys.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ssion=ls86

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:55 pm 
Journeyman Member

Since this bill is amending 97B.045 by adding a subdivision, and 97B.045 Subdivision 1 (3) contains an exemption for "a handgun carried in compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715" this should have no effect on carry guns.

Also, as I read this the uncased provision only applies to while on a shooting range or while hunting (traveling to/from an area lawfully hunted) so general transportation of a firearm it would still have to be cased per the old law.

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:28 am 
Raving Moderate

The issue isn't what guns it effects, but that it sets a precedent of treating some counties differently than others. Where does that (theoretically) end? When your carry permit is good in Washington County, but not Anoka, Hennepin, Ramsey, St. Louis, or any number of other counties? :evil:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 am 
Longtime Regular

parap1445 wrote:
the uncased provision only applies to while on a shooting range or while hunting (traveling to/from an area lawfully hunted) so general transportation of a firearm it would still have to be cased per the old law.

May I point out that I believe Coyotes have no defined season ..... Wanna bet someone tries that skating of this law?

As was pointed out, this is a precedent thing.

If the intent of whomever put that language in was just to restrict uncased long guns in the populated metro area, they could have left it at stat cities > 2500 population and covered it just as well BTW while still leaving some great hunting grounds open and not specifically highlighting the metro counties.

Last edited by plblark on Fri May 22, 2009 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

parap1445 wrote:
Since this bill is amending 97B.045 by adding a subdivision, and 97B.045 Subdivision 1 (3) contains an exemption for "a handgun carried in compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715" this should have no effect on carry guns.

Not that I have done it, but this restricts carrying a long gun, which we can do now. Any gun law that restricts us is bad.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

So permit holders can't carry a long gun uncased? I'm confused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

This law makes it lawful to transport a long gun in or on a motor vehicle in certain conditions. It doesn't affect the carry permit conditions at all except where it now makes it legal to transport a carried long gun uncased and Unloaded in / on a motor vehicle.

All in all, it's giving us something we didn't have but what we get is inconsequential due to the conditions and trading away regulation by County line.

This law has a good chance to screw someone due to crossing an imaginary line that is neither labeled nor obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:09 am 

plblark wrote:
This law makes it lawful to transport a long gun in or on a motor vehicle in certain conditions. It doesn't affect the carry permit conditions at all except where it now makes it legal to transport a carried long gun uncased and Unloaded in / on a motor vehicle.

All in all, it's giving us something we didn't have btu what we get is inconsequential due to the conditions and trading away regulation by County line.

This law has a good chance to screw someone due to crossing an imaginary line that is neither labeled nor obvious.

Which is why we need to push to get it nuked in a later session, or push Teh Gov to shoot it down... (It's more of a hassle than any perceived benefit)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.