Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Letter I received from Betty McCollum 
 Post subject: Letter I received from Betty McCollum
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:55 pm 
Journeyman Member

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me about gun legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

I support the right of Minnesotans to hunt, fish, and enjoy the great outdoors. These recreation pursuits are Minnesota traditions and it is important that these opportunities remain available for all to enjoy. However, we must support strong gun safety laws that keep guns out of the hands of criminals and children, not people who hunt. Far too many people are the victims of gun violence in our nation, including the hundreds who are killed and thousands that are injured in unintentional shootings. We must do more to prevent this type of violence from occurring, including continuing background checks, requiring safety devices that prevent guns from being used by someone other than the owner, and reinstating the ban on military style assault weapons.

Many criminals who use a firearm to commit a crime obtain the weapons illegally. Although it is difficult to prevent all criminals from obtaining firearms, strong background checks can reduce this danger significantly. Criminal background checks for gun purchases have prevented more than 600,000 attempted gun purchases by prohibited purchasers such as felons, fugitives, and domestic abusers. These checks are virtually instant: 72 percent are conducted within several minutes and over 95 percent in tho hours. Furthermore, criminal background checks do not prevent law-abiding citizens from obtaining a firearm for recreational purposes.

Be assured I will continue to work with my colleagues and the Administration on sensible firearm policies that promote safety and security first, without restricting the rights of lawful gun owners to use firearms for recreational purposes.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

Betty McCollum
Member of Congress

Man, my arms are tired from typing all that out. :)

The bold is my emphasis.

Since I am new to this, does she not believe in self defense purposes of firearms.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

Post subject: Re: Letter I received from Betty McCollum
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:35 pm 

Thoughts? That she appears to be one of the typical "I believe in your right to have a gun, but..." folks. She states flat out that criminals obtain firearms illegally, but feels it is important to place excessive restrictions on law-abiding citizens anyway. The only way that can eventually go is to make it so hard for law-abiding citizens to own a weapon that they are essentially outlawed. And that's going to lead to more problems than it solves.

Safety devices preventing anyone but the owner from using the gun??? How the hell would that work. So much for teaching your child how to shoot if that actually happens. Reinstating the ban on "military style assault weapons"?? That helped so much last time. Especially since legal, single-shot autoloading AR weapons are such a big part of your typical crime committed with a firearm.

It truly saddens me that some people are so willing to do things that are so useless for their intended purposes but are so incredibly negative to law-abiding people.

BB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:02 am 

I've lived in McCollum's district since I moved to Minnesota 13 years ago. Every time I write to her on this or any other issue, I get a canned letter explaining her position--which is always 100% opposite from mine. Sometimes, the letter is written in a way that assumes that I hold her position. She can't even acknowledge that some of her constituents hold differing views from her.

I'm closing on a house at the end of the month. On my list of must haves, right after a minimum of three bedrooms, was "NOT in the 4th congressional district."

I'm sure she wouldn't support gun ownership for hunting or "recreational shooting" if she thought she could get away with it.

DJ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:00 am 

djstaehlin wrote:
I've lived in McCollum's district since I moved to Minnesota 13 years ago. Every time I write to her on this or any other issue, I get a canned letter explaining her position--which is always 100% opposite from mine. Sometimes, the letter is written in a way that assumes that I hold her position. She can't even acknowledge that some of her constituents hold differing views from her.

I'm closing on a house at the end of the month. On my list of must haves, right after a minimum of three bedrooms, was "NOT in the 4th congressional district."

I'm sure she wouldn't support gun ownership for hunting or "recreational shooting" if she thought she could get away with it.

DJ

You should move to Washington County, good sheriff and in the 6th district. :D I left the 4th when Vento was still in there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:38 pm 

realtor_packing_heat wrote:

You should move to Washington County, good sheriff and in the 6th district. :D I left the 4th when Vento was still in there.

That's where I'm moving and looking forward to it. I'll be in the 2nd Congressional district, though, so John Kline will be my congressman.

DJ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

Thanks guys, was just trying to get a feel for the general opinions since I am new to the political side of firearms.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:07 pm 

Interesting, Betty's letter indicates 600,000 applications have been rejected after criminal backgrouind checks. I guess the system works; its not broken; nothing to fix.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/congress/51267987.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUsA

Betty McCollum in a nutshell: In the face of many diverse polls showing the majority of Americans disapproving of the Obama healthcare disaster, bouncing Betty announced yesterday that a hand-picked panel of 14 people in Saint Paul just loved the healthcare plan, ergo it is then favored by all Americans in her not-so-humble, and no-so-intelligent opinion.

The woman is a fraud and a farce.

If anyone is interested I can further expound on my true feelings about the woman. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:06 pm 

JC Knute wrote:
Interesting, Betty's letter indicates 600,000 applications have been rejected after criminal backgrouind checks. I guess the system works; its not broken; nothing to fix.

Why haven't there been 600,000 arrests then?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.