Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Carry in BWCA? 
 Post subject: Carry in BWCA?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow - what a crazy summer - I think I've been running constantly since about Apr...

So...
The Carry in National Parks stuff passed but doesn't take affect until like Sept or so.

I'm going to BWCA in Aug (week after next) with the BSA and will certainly have at least one gun with me. Question is how to carry it... open, concealed, or stowed in a pack.

Is the BWCA considered a National Park that is covered by the new law? (I don't believe so) or is the BWCA just a National Forest like the contact is in (Superior National Forest)? Or is it BLM (Bureu of Land Management) which is even laxer then National Forest. If it is National Forest, I would assume it is covered by the state it resides in regarding carry of a handgun while in the woods - no permit needed for open carry or stowed in a pack, but permit needed if concealed.

I'm pretty sure there are some folks on here that live up on the Gunflint trail and would know the laws regarding this pretty well and could enlighten me.

Thanks for any accurate ;-) input!

Mostly-

Post subject: Re: Carry in BWCA?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Never mind...

After using the SEARCH capability I found the answer.

Thanks anyways

Mostly-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:03 am 
Longtime Regular

FYI: "Fed ban on national park carry" lifted February 22, 2010
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/firearms.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

For future reference the BWCAW is in Superior National "Forest" no national park involved.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 pm 

I'd check with the mn dnr.
I used to hunt grouse while on bwca trips and carried a handgun also, just like I would on other mn hunting land. I'm not sure if the laws have changed, but as far as I know, the laws concerning hunting were the same as on other state lands

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:43 am 
1911 tainted

gunflint wrote:
For future reference the BWCAW is in Superior National "Forest" no national park involved.

What he said. Seems there are a few that see the word National, as in National Forest and they assume they can't carry. National Parks is the key word.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.