Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 AV Sergeant Challenging Gudmundson for Dakota County Sheriff 
 Post subject: AV Sergeant Challenging Gudmundson for Dakota County Sheriff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.twincities.com/dakota/ci_13295582

Quote:
Apple Valley police Sgt. Mitch Scott has announced he will run for Dakota County sheriff in the 2010 election.

"I feel the public deserves a combination of work experience and higher education from their elected officials," he said in a release issued Monday.

Sheriff Don Gudmundson said Tuesday that he hasn't decided whether he'll run for a fifth term, but said Scott lacks the experience to manage an $18 million budget and questioned his ability to supervise a large number of people.

"He supervises six people and now he expects to supervise 100," Gudmundson said.

But Scott said his 23 years of law enforcement experience and degrees in management make him a good candidate for sheriff.

Dakota County has nearly 200 employees in the sheriff's office, including 76 sworn officers and more than 90 civilian staff.

Anyone know anything about him?

Post subject: Re: AV Sergeant Challenging Gudmundson for Dakota County Sheriff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:29 pm 

Using the Sheriff's view noone would eb qualified to be President either. Becuase noone other than the Prez has a budget and staf as large as the US Gov.

I don't know either candicate other than what was in the original post, but the Sheriff should really think through his comments first. I wonder what his resume looked like the first time he ran.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:09 am 
Longtime Regular

More info here:

http://www.thisweeklive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11605&Itemid=2

Quote:
With over 23 years of law enforcement experience, Sergeant Scott will bring a wide array of skills to this position. Originally from Norman Oklahoma, Scott served as a Security Police Officer for the United States Air Force for six years, including service in the Gulf War. After an honorable discharge from the Air Force, Scott moved to Minnesota and worked for the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Department as a Detention Deputy and Deputy Sheriff. Scott was hired by the Apple Valley Police Department in 1996. In his 13 years in Apple Valley, Scott has held the rank of Patrol Officer, Detective, and Sergeant.

Don't see a way to contact him or anything that lists what's he's running on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:21 am 

kecker wrote:
More info here:

http://www.thisweeklive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11605&Itemid=2

Quote:
With over 23 years of law enforcement experience, Sergeant Scott will bring a wide array of skills to this position. Originally from Norman Oklahoma, Scott served as a Security Police Officer for the United States Air Force for six years, including service in the Gulf War. After an honorable discharge from the Air Force, Scott moved to Minnesota and worked for the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Department as a Detention Deputy and Deputy Sheriff. Scott was hired by the Apple Valley Police Department in 1996. In his 13 years in Apple Valley, Scott has held the rank of Patrol Officer, Detective, and Sergeant.

Don't see a way to contact him or anything that lists what's he's running on.

http://www.ci.apple-valley.mn.us/police ... _page.html
Mitchell Scott (952) 953-2763

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don’t know the Sergeant but I do know Gudmundson is not our friend. He was the one that made the comment when the law was passed that only overweight white guys need carry permits. He needs to go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:46 am 

havegunjoe wrote:
I don’t know the Sergeant but I do know Gudmundson is not our friend. He was the one that made the comment when the law was passed that only overweight white guys need carry permits. He needs to go.

Not to mention his lackadaisical processing and complete arrogance.

Dakota County 29 days
Dakota county 29 days and still waiting.
Dakota County - 41 Days
Dakota County - submitted 10/3/08
Dakota Co. taking longer than 30 days

Another thing that pissed me off, was when I spoke with Gundmundson, he said they were backed up and trying to get the county to allow them to hire another person on staff to handle the influx... Just a couple of months later...

Pioneer Press article 11/24 wrote:
In anticipation of the five-year renewal deadline, the Dakota County sheriff's office added a second clerk to handle permit applications and background checks for residents who wish to carry their guns in public.
But the rush hasn't been as heavy as expected.

It must be hard to convince the county to let you hire another person (even thouh they told the newspaper they allready brought on a 2nd person = flat out lie to me) when you have Dakota Co. Sheriff staff going on record saying that more help is not needed.

Chief Deputy David Bellow wrote:
'"My sense is that a lot of people went out and got the permit for the first time, but they realized that, one, carrying a weapon is heavy. It's burdensome, especially in plain clothes," said Chief Deputy David Bellows of the Dakota County sheriff's office.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new ... sts?page=2

Bye Bye Gundmundson.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:49 am 

I plan on giving Sgt. Scott a call to schedule a meeting, or phone interview. Please PM me or post any questions your want me to ask him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:59 am 
Longtime Regular

IncaKola wrote:
havegunjoe wrote:

Not to mention his lackadaisical processing and complete arrogance.

Dakota County 29 days
Dakota county 29 days and still waiting.
Dakota County - 41 Days
Dakota County - submitted 10/3/08
Dakota Co. taking longer than 30 days

Another thing that pissed me off, was when I spoke with Gundmundson, he said they were backed up and trying to get the county to allow them to hire another person on staff to handle the influx... Just a couple of months later...

Pioneer Press article 11/24 wrote:
In anticipation of the five-year renewal deadline, the Dakota County sheriff's office added a second clerk to handle permit applications and background checks for residents who wish to carry their guns in public.
But the rush hasn't been as heavy as expected.

It must be hard to convince the county to let you hire another person (even thouh they told the newspaper they allready brought on a 2nd person = flat out lie to me) when you have Dakota Co. Sheriff staff going on record saying that more help is not needed.

Chief Deputy David Bellow wrote:
'"My sense is that a lot of people went out and got the permit for the first time, but they realized that, one, carrying a weapon is heavy. It's burdensome, especially in plain clothes," said Chief Deputy David Bellows of the Dakota County sheriff's office.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-new ... sts?page=2

Bye Bye Gundmundson.

Thanks for the reminder of this IncaKola. He drags his feet and has a low opinion of carry permit holders. As I said, “He needs to go”. Let’s hope the Sergeant is a little more enlightened. I look forward to your report.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

IncaKola -- make sure he understands that it is ON THE RECORD -- that you will tape it and post it. Back room promises are worthless, as we've found.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:46 pm 
The Man

IncaKola wrote:
I plan on giving Sgt. Scott a call to schedule a meeting, or phone interview. Please PM me or post any questions your want me to ask him.

Here's a few:

1. As you know, in many cases, carry permits have been issued in more than the 30 days allowed by law, and the DCSO has been very unresponsive to demands that they follow the law -- what, if elected, do you intend to do about this?

2. As you also know, Dakota County charges $100 for a new permit and $75 for a renewal -- for more than the "actual costs" allowed by law. Under your administration, what changes in permit fees will you institute, if any, the day you are sworn in?

3. Many LEOs in Dakota County are unfamiliar with some of the basics of the carry law -- thinking, for example, that concealment is required. As the leader of the Dakota County LEO community, will you set an example by requiring all of your officers to attend at least a short in-service on the requirements of the law?

How's that for a start?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:04 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
IncaKola -- make sure he understands that it is ON THE RECORD -- that you will tape it and post it. Back room promises are worthless, as we've found.

WAY ahead of you Andrew, but I thank you for the reminder.

joelr wrote:

1. As you know, in many cases, carry permits have been issued in more than the 30 days allowed by law, and the DCSO has been very unresponsive to demands that they follow the law -- what, if elected, do you intend to do about this?

2. As you also know, Dakota County charges $100 for a new permit and $75 for a renewal -- for more than the "actual costs" allowed by law. Under your administration, what changes in permit fees will you institute, if any, the day you are sworn in?

3. Many LEOs in Dakota County are unfamiliar with some of the basics of the carry law -- thinking, for example, that concealment is required. As the leader of the Dakota County LEO community, will you set an example by requiring all of your officers to attend at least a short in-service on the requirements of the law?

How's that for a start?

That's a great start. Would anyone be willing to share a specific occurrence with an Issue with Dakota county LEO that I can site as an example?

I'll spend a couple more days compiling these questions before requesting the interview.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:08 am 

Could we also ask about the new posting listed in on the forums that came up at the dakota county government center. Governments aren't allowed to post and judges seem to be skirting this by court orders. There is a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14075

I'd like to know what he plans to do to keep dakota county compliant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:25 am 

Duane J wrote:
Could we also ask about the new posting listed in on the forums that came up at the dakota county government center. Governments aren't allowed to post and judges seem to be skirting this by court orders. There is a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14075

I'd like to know what he plans to do to keep dakota county compliant.

I thought about that, but I don't think I want to intentionally ask him, or demand action on it... If he is running to be sheriff, I don't think challenging a judge's order before you get into office, or shortly after being sworn in is a wise career move.

I don't even know if he is pro carry yet. If the conversation leads that way, I may ask it, perhaps off the record.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 am 

I think at least his opinion on the matter is VERY relevant. It would certainly have an effect on my support for him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

And it's still relevant even though Gudmundson announced today that he will not seek re-election next year (not that he can't change his mind again). Gudmundson is encouraging Bellows to run.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.