Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Could This Happen In Minnesota? 
 Post subject: Could This Happen In Minnesota?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:09 pm 

On another forum I saw a thread regarding a newspaper release today of all the permit holders in South Dakota....they even had an interactive map where one can search by county or name.

Could something like this ever happen in Minnesota?

Here's the link: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=DATABASE01

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:19 pm 

Wow, that's some enviable numbers. It looks like most counties average between 5 and 10% penetration. Now THATS a voting block. I bet their local gun boards are not worried about the legislature repealing the shall issue law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:30 pm 

Not likely, under current law the media can't access the list of permit holders. A feature, not a flaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:31 pm 

It is neat to see the numbers by county. I don't like the fact that you can search by names. I don't want people to know I carry unless I can trust them or they carry also. It is nice to know if you need backup. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Just saw the same thing for New York.
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs ... 018/NEWS02

We have a good law. Lets keep it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:52 pm 
Delicate Flower

In SoDak, applications for permits are published in the newspaper. The name is a matter of public record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Widge wrote:
In SoDak, applications for permits are published in the newspaper. The name is a matter of public record.

Doesn't look like it anymore...

South Dakota residents are more likely than residents of any other state to have a concealed pistol permit. Starting on July 1, the state Legislature made the names of permit holders secret.

Some law enforcement officials and open government advocates say access to the names of permit holders benefits the public. For example, citizens occasionally recognize the name of someone who ought not the have a permit, perhaps because of a history of violence or drug abuse.

The Argus Leader compiled a list of all permit holders just before their names were sealed. We invite you to search the database of more than 40,000 people by name, city or county, and notify us of anyone you believe was inappropriately granted a pistol permit. This list does not include anyone who got a new permit on July 1 or later.

We also hope you will provide feedback, and join the ongoing debate over open government issues on this site, and in the newspaper.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:35 am 
Journeyman Member

Holy Crap! I had no idea I had so many relatives with permits in SD! I'll have to bring it up next time I go back there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:06 am 
Longtime Regular

Glad it can't happen here due to our law! Very good feature. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:11 am 
Longtime Regular

In SD you get a permit at age 18. It's kind of a rite of passage for kids that grow up around guns. They've had hunting training and sort of graduate to pistols when they become adults. Good time in life to start, register for draft, then apply for carry permit.

The lower age is probably a reason for more permits. At that age it's normal to take classes and do this stuff. My son is 19 and attends school in SD. All his friends have carry permits. Most do not carry regularily though. SD is pretty safe, I think.

Eventually we should get the age in Minnesota lowered, because we'd really get a lot more permits, I think. At 21 people tend to be busy with other things and perhaps involved with people who don't like guns. And we'd lose the "soft" part of our stereotype.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:31 am 

Dick Unger wrote:
Eventually we should get the age in Minnesota lowered, because we'd really get a lot more permits, I think. At 21 people tend to be busy with other things and perhaps involved with people who don't like guns. And we'd lose the "soft" part of our stereotype.

I like that idea! I couldn't wait till I turned 21 and could get a permit to buy a pistol! I think it is a great thing to get the age lowered. They turn 18 and they can go to war for our country and possibly die for our freedoms.

Good point on age 21 and people thinking about other things. We would get so many more pro gun advocates if it was at 18. Look at SD. It would be cool to have that right of passage. It would, i bet, out weigh the lottery ticket passage. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have seen under 21's in the military who had far more responsiblity than anyone in this state. The 18/21 debate is just another feel me up good idea. Because we all know no one under 21 drinks, under 18 smokes, ...

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:35 pm 

I think it's outrageous that some people in the media have the idea that private information should be made public in the name of a PRIVATE agenda.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:00 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

You know, the arguement used to keep the info public- "checks and balances" is completely bunk. If a state is shall issue, there is no public oversight needed. Issuance based on specific criteria. The county(in MN) will be taken to court if they don't follow the law. That's all the oversight needed.

May issue, I think should be public information. So we know who the corrupt people are, and who there friends they issue to are.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The cure
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:26 pm 

I saw this on another forum. They had the name of the idiot that published the list of ccw license holders and googled up his home phone, business phone, address, previous addresses and anything else they could find on the guy and published it on the net thanks to the first amendment. It would be nice to publish if he ever had a hunting license making it easier to make him a target also.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.