Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Could This Happen In Minnesota? 
 Post subject: Re: The cure
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:14 pm 

oldhippy wrote:
I saw this on another forum. They had the name of the idiot that published the list of ccw license holders and googled up his home phone, business phone, address, previous addresses and anything else they could find on the guy and published it on the net thanks to the first amendment. It would be nice to publish if he ever had a hunting license making it easier to make him a target also.

Let me know if you can find a link. I can look up his criminal history.

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenseleness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:04 am 
Longtime Regular

AlreadyThere wrote:
oldhippy wrote:
I saw this on another forum. They had the name of the idiot that published the list of ccw license holders and googled up his home phone, business phone, address, previous addresses and anything else they could find on the guy and published it on the net thanks to the first amendment. It would be nice to publish if he ever had a hunting license making it easier to make him a target also.

I've seen the information online and am conflicted on the wisdom of posting it here. On the one hand turnabout is fair play. On the other, we're stooping to their level.

I think it could be difficult to explain how we value individual privacy but are willing to violate it for this person because they don't agree with us. That's close to saying I value freedom of speech unless you disagree with me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
AlreadyThere wrote:
oldhippy wrote:

I've seen the information online and am conflicted on the wisdom of posting it here. On the one hand turnabout is fair play. On the other, we're stooping to their level.

I think it could be difficult to explain how we value individual privacy but are willing to violate it for this person because they don't agree with us. That's close to saying I value freedom of speech unless you disagree with me.

+1 plblark

Post subject: Stooping to their level
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:37 am 

I guess I would have to agree. It is tempting but does make us look like them and that would be worse than the revenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular

I must confess I was on the edge and could see convincing arguments for both sides until I PM'd Joel and he mentioned two wrongs don't make a right. I was leaning that way hence the PM but having it phrased that way clarified why I shouldn't post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Contrarily, I say fuck him. He has as much as stated that law-abiding citizens are not entitled to privacy. Having his personal information published should be entirely consistent with his beliefs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:28 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

It could be opening his eyes. A lot of outspoken people have their eyes shut when complaining about something. "He who speaks doesn't listen" Something like that.

People who do this because of hatred towards guns, generally have something they do that could be put under the same scrutiny. But, would they like it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:38 pm 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Contrarily, I say fuck him. He has as much as stated that law-abiding citizens are not entitled to privacy. Having his personal information published should be entirely consistent with his beliefs.
Yeah, it should be . . . but it won't be. Realistically, his information will not only be possible to get, but gotten, and whoever wants to send annoying -- or worse -- mail to his house or make harrassing phone calls to him in the middle of the night will be able to do it, and likely will do it.

And it's not like the guy hasn't thought this out -- he'll just attribute it to those evil gun people.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
I would think that Minnesota data privacy laws would additionally protect us from this.

They do. I had to Google to find out where in the law. The answer was on...Joel's blog. :)

Joel's blog wrote:
See the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act 13.87, subd. 2., and make a note: this isn't new law, but has been in effect for years and years:

Quote:
Subd. 2. Firearms data. All data pertaining to the purchase or transfer of firearms and applications for permits to carry firearms which are collected by state agencies, political subdivisions or statewide systems pursuant to sections 624.712 to 624.719 are classified as private, pursuant to section 13.02, subdivision 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I thought there was privacy act information on the permit application.

Thanks for doing the legwork Andrew.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject: I'm listed in Sd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:47 pm 

I have moved from Sd this year. Out there it's not this big of a deal every gun store will tell you to go down to the sheriff's office slap ten bucks on the counter so the dealer dosn't have to screw with the waiting period. That's the motivation out there. The only time I ever carried was when I was out in the hills people do get attacked by the cats on two legs of four. I never actual carried in town untill i moved to the MSP area and I'm supprised how easy it is to get used to carring and how little people notice. I've only herd one comment and that was a man to his wife "see he's carring too" Did i help one of us with an argument with the wife?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:27 am 

Judging from the list of names in the database, we need to do more to encourage women to carry. There's so few of them.

There were once some students leaving the classroom as a CCRN meeting was starting. One female asked what the meeting was about. After I told her, she responded "I leave (crime) up to the community (to solve)!" I responded, "the only time I see the community involved is to look for the body!"

Perhaps a campaign like "Is your life important to you or your family? Then what's your defense plan?" hmmm... maybe sign it "Citizens for a Safer YOU." :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

dancar wrote:
Perhaps a campaign like "Is your life important to you or your family? Then what's your defense plan?" hmmm... maybe sign it "Citizens for a Safer YOU." :wink:

Have you heard of Oleg Volk? He has some GREAT RKBA images and etc that CCRN uses.

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:11 pm 
Poet Laureate

Andrew Rothman wrote:

+1

However, as I don't believe as he does, mine should be kept private according to my own beliefs.

You see, it can be a religious thing. 1st amendment and all. He should be right on board with that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.