Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Proposal affecting gun owners surfaces at Capital. 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

The final report talks about automaticly doing so for convictions of certain types. For no charges or convictions sure but for convictions there is a process via a judge.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Re: Proposal affecting gun owners surfaces at Capital.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:09 pm 
Poet Laureate

Widge wrote:
Gun owners? We go through enough hoops already, and I don't really see what else they could add on that we don't do anyway.

My friend, you have no idea! Take one serious look at the Canadian system, and you will see what else they could add to those hoops we're all jumping through like circus animals. :cry:

Don't kid yourself. There are plenty of "Democrats" and "Democrats in sheep's clothing", as it were, who would like nothing more than a tighter system than Canada, the UK, and Mexcio already have in place.

...And who have a lot more power and money to make it happen than you or I do to prevent it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:17 pm 

Srigs wrote:
Why would you exsponge convictions ever? What is the problem they are trying to solve?

I do know someone who had a misdemeanor arrest, then in court the charges were changed to a petty misdemeanor. His record still showed the misdemeanor arrest, and even said it was lowered to a petty, and that was making it difficult for him to get a jab. He got it expunged so he could get some better jobs.

I also know someone who did have a felony on their record for something they did when they were young and dumb. 10+ years later, on the clean and narrow, with more companies doing background checks, he got an expungement. Again, companies are doing more and more checks, and don't care if you can show you've been good for 10+ years. They don't care if the charges were changed, they just see "misdemeanor"

My Homebrew journal http://brew.goalie.cx

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
The final report talks about automaticly doing so for convictions of certain types. For no charges or convictions sure but for convictions there is a process via a judge.

Bold added be me.

And if someone goes through the process to get it expunged it had damn well stay expunged. That would be the equal to being tried again in the media without the benefit of the justice system.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Proposal affecting gun owners surfaces at Capital.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:42 am 
Delicate Flower

Carbide Insert wrote:
Widge wrote:
Gun owners? We go through enough hoops already, and I don't really see what else they could add on that we don't do anyway.

My friend, you have no idea! Take one serious look at the Canadian system, and you will see what else they could add to those hoops we're all jumping through like circus animals. :cry:

Don't kid yourself. There are plenty of "Democrats" and "Democrats in sheep's clothing", as it were, who would like nothing more than a tighter system than Canada, the UK, and Mexcio already have in place.

...And who have a lot more power and money to make it happen than you or I do to prevent it.

Well, maybe you should know that I was a cop for 15 years in the UK, so perhaps it would be more appropriate to say it is you who have no idea what living in a truly 'gun-unfriendly' state is like.

I see nothing in this report that remotely approaches the system in place in other countries nor anything in there that resembles the UK firearms act.

It makes no mention of any restrictions, new or otherwise, to our 2nd amendment rights, it simply appears to try to codify a mish-mash of reporting requirements and checks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:08 pm 
Poet Laureate

Well, I lived in Canada (as a non-LEO super-citizen) for longer than that, so I win the pissing contest there!

What I was refering to is the slippery slope, of which on the surface this report seems to adhere, and my comments were with regard to what Gunflint pretty much summed up with this comment:

gunflint wrote:
Let's see if I'm understanding this. They want to make it easier for criminals (the bad guys) to hide their past and they want to make it harder for LEOs and law abiding citizens (the good guys) who want to purchase and or carry.

They don't have to call it a "Firearms Act" for it to be a form of gun (citizen) control, any more than they have to call a new form of tax, a "Tax". It's what the ends will result in, and what future interpretations will bring along. This may not be "Gun Control", but if it sets up one more hoop... well, I just hope in the end each of us will have enough momentum in our leaps to get through them all; cause you know, one more hoop isn't that bad, and, after all, it's for the children.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Case in point: I'm sure we can all agree that the $200 Tax Stamp was never about tax, it was about infringing on the 2nd without actually calling it that.

That's all I'm saying. Hopefully this legislation that you appear espoused to support, is indeed much better for us than what I believe it to be. Time will tell I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:12 pm 
Delicate Flower

I'm really not interested in a pissing contest since it detracts from the point at hand.

What I am interested in is whether the legislative branch is looking to restrict my second amendment rights any further, and so far, I just don't see that in this report. I do see a possible added requirement of fingerprints to confirm that the person applying for a permit is in fact the person that they say they are, but that is all.

For the rest of it, I could care less whether they formalize a process to expunge some convictions or rationlize the keeping of arrest records or not. The fact is, the criminal record system as it is now is a cluster****, and no one really seems to know what to do about it.

As for 'espousing' this legislation, that's a big leap from what I actually wrote. It's a working group report, not a bill and I am quite sure this report will go through many changes before it reaches a point where it is likely to be introduced (if it ever does), and that will be the time to line up and make our voices heard through our legislators and pressure groups.

And now, I'm done with this thread, over and out. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.