Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 [MN Leg] HF 92 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
plblark wrote:
That said, as criminality in the state goes, is hunting by people prohibited by a felony conviction the sort of offense against the public order that it's worth spending finite governmental time and money on?

That makes a lot of sense.

Will a felon that wants to hunt and posesses firearms bother buying a license?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:58 pm 

hammAR wrote:
Mike wrote:
.... I'd be thinking a felon applying for a firearms hunting license would have easily reached the threshold of incrimination to get a search warrant and go bust the guy for felon in possession.

No probable cause.

There is not a law that I know of that states that a felon can not apply and receive a hunting license. If there is then I will rescind this post and apologize.

Anyone want to volunteer as a "test case".....:shock:

I'll suggest that may depend on little more than how well the application for the warrant is written and the judge that sees it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Is there some known problem the DNR has found with felons hunting?

If not, is it worth while? How much per license will they increase things to pay for this? A lot of time and effort for low return maybe. :?

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:18 pm 

I have, in some years, purchased a game or bird license, or game or bird or waterfoul stamps, with no intention of hunting at all. It's a way of funding programs I support, even if I'm not going to partake that year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:02 pm 

Can a felon posess a bow and arrow or a black powder gun? If they can then they could hunt most game and still be legal. Saw a guy on TV goose hunting with a bow. (he didn't get too many...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
Is there some known problem the DNR has found with felons hunting?

There was a TV news article a couple or three months ago about the number of felons that had hunting licenses for firearms season. I forget the exact number, but it was disturbing. I think I had mentioned it in a thread a while back. Thank the Felons and the media for this new legislation.

This isn't a Minnesota article, but it appears widespread throughout the Nation
Quote:
Chicago Sun-Times, Jan 30, 2006 by Matt Gouras

HELENA, Mont. -- Hundreds of people barred from having guns because they are felons on parole or probation are still able to get hunting licenses in Montana with no questions asked, an Associated Press investigation found.

Montana may not be alone. While nearly all states ban felons from possessing guns, only a handful -- including Rhode Island and Maine - - keep them from receiving hunting permits, and just a few others -- such as Illinois and Massachusetts -- require hunters to show both a hunting license and a firearms license.

"Our license dealers have no way of checking," said Lt. Rich Mann, with the enforcement program for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. "If someone wants to play with the system and beat you at it, they will."

'A BIG CONCERN'
The AP examination of Montana hunting and corrections records shows at least 660 felons on parole or probation received tags in the past year. The findings are based on a comparison of unique first, middle and last names, along with other identifiable information, that appeared in databases of both hunters and felons.

A state probation official said the findings likely would prompt the state to consider its own records search to see if parolees are violating terms of their release.

"Obviously that's a big concern, and it makes me want to look into each of these cases," said Ron Alsbury, Montana's probation and parole bureau chief.

The licenses don't specifically require the use of firearms to hunt, and state officials note that most felons could legally hunt using other weapons, such as bows. Several people contacted by the AP said they hunted legally with bows while on probation.

However, bows are hardly the weapon of choice for some of the game for which felons were issued tags, such as birds or bison.

Jason Beaudoin of Frenchtown, on probation for a 2002 conviction for assault with a deadly weapon, got a series of hunting tags last year, but said he used only a bow and arrow.

"I know I can't own a firearm or be in possession of one. They made that very clear . . . and I agree with the policy," Beaudoin said.

Some states, including Montana, check for hunting violations as a routine part of a hunting license application, but don't run spot checks to see if convicted felons are among those applying for licenses or if they plan to use firearms.

CHECKS ON CHILD SUPPORT

"The result in Idaho is that you could theoretically be a convicted cannibal and still have a hunting license," said Ed Mitchell, a spokesman for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game in Boise. "But if you are a convicted cannibal, you cannot legally own a bent BB gun in the state of Idaho."

With millions of hunters in the United States -- nearly 270,000 in Montana alone -- authorities in many states say it simply would be too difficult to check if felons are getting hunting tags.

North Dakota officials make sure hunters aren't delinquent on their child support and deny permits to those who are, but they don't check for felony convictions.

Colorado, like most states, relies on its law banning felons from possessing guns to discourage them from applying for hunting licenses. Still, every year game wardens find someone with a felony conviction hunting with a firearm and a legally obtained hunting license, said Bob Thompson, assistant chief of law enforcement for the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Can we say Poacher? If you can't own a gun, you're not going to get a license to hunt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:02 pm 

Correct me if you wish.

However I look at this.

People have become comfortable with government interfering.

It is like because we currently have to jump through hoops and pay $100 every 5 years to exercise something that is suppose to be a right, that we are ok with government do extra checks on hunters because it does not affect me.

That is like me being ok with the government putting restrictions on smokers because I do not smoke. Or being ok with the president pushing Christian religion because I am a practicing Christian.

Are DWI check points ok if they stop thousands and get a couple? Why do we not see these anymore?

If DWI check points are ok, then are firearm check points ok as well?

I guess the whole lets ban cell phone use in the car should be ok as well, for we might be able to pull over a felon that is using his cell phone and capture him as well.

The government already knows who these people are otherwise they would not have anything to check against. Just go track them down and arrest them and leave my background alone. It gets poked way to often already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being content with government invading many for the possibilities to catch a few, is flat out wrong. This is how we end up dumb legislation that bites us in the ass.

Brian

Long time lurker, First time poster.

Know to many, acquaintance of a couple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:28 am 
Delicate Flower

Welcome Brian (channelb) :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum channelb! 8)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Call me a conspiracy theorist or just a stupid asshole, I don't care. However, this sure seems like way to obtain and maintain a database on everybody. Possibly even a backdoor way to maintain a list of people that own firearms. Imagine, for a moment that, once a list is compiled as to who actually hunts with firearms, a day were to come that the police come knocking on a hunter's door to confiscate their firearms?? Just a thought.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:07 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

BigRobT wrote:
Call me a conspiracy theorist or just a stupid asshole, I don't care. However, this sure seems like way to obtain and maintain a database on everybody. Possibly even a backdoor way to maintain a list of people that own firearms. Imagine, for a moment that, once a list is compiled as to who actually hunts with firearms, a day were to come that the police come knocking on a hunter's door to confiscate their firearms?? Just a thought.

I think that this is a valid point and I can see a day when they do come knocking on the door asking for guns - this disturbs me as well.

Things are not going the right way here - one step forward and two back....

Any way that they can write feel good laws about guns - it will further deteriorate our 2A rights somewhere along the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:13 pm 

Amen to that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I attempted to say this about 6 pages ago,
but I left out the "Call me a stupid asshole." part....... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:15 pm 

This would be a bad law....first the hunting lic. then as in a post above, a firearms lic. Big Brother needs to get off our back or we are going to loose everything. Local law dogs know most of the people out here in my area and one of the last worries they have is someone who has done their time and has been behaving themselves getting a deer or some ducks for the pot. The bad guys are going to be bad guys, remember, its not the gun, or sword or knife or screwdriver....its the hand they are in. The loss of liberty affects us all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.