Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Defeating a taser BAN in Minnesota. 
 Post subject: Defeating a taser BAN in Minnesota.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:34 pm 
Wise Elder

If we want to STOP THE BAN of Tasers, we've got to start planning now.

The House hearing (our best shot) will be on a Tuesday or Thursday from 12:30 - 2:30p.m. in Room 10 (large hearing room) of the State Office Building. We'll be lucky to get 3 days notice. People will have to take time off work. That needs to be arranged in advance.

The cops will fill the room with Chiefs and administrators in uniforms. They'll say (exactly as they said in 1985 and 1994) that tasers are offensive weapons (with a 15 foot range?), that cops can't effectively defend themselves (don't the probes have to touch skin?), and the streets will run red with the blood (no historical support in the 25 years that tasers have been around). They will try to ignore the 25 years of evidence that tasers are no significant risk.

The opponents of a ban will have to fill the rest of the room. It will best be done with females (nurses, lawyers, college students) who want to protect themselves but don't want to run the risk of killing another human being. A strong female spokesperson would really help. Honestly, I don't know of any. Do you???

Simply put, it's bad public policy to remove non-lethal choices from tens of thousands of civilians. Thousands of Minnesota women carry mace and tasers just because they ARE non-lethal. Should the law force them to go unarmed and alone (there is never a cop nearby when you need one) or to upgrade to deadly weaponry? History shows that the greatest risk of taser abuse comes from rogue LEO's (such as the NYPD officers who tortured sustects in the '80s) not criminals.

On the other hand, as one chief suggested, let 'em ban tasers because it'll increase the number of carry permit holders (and students and gun owners and ...). Hummm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
that cops can't effectively defend themselves (don't the probes have to touch skin?)

No. They can shock through 2 inches of clothing. The old M26 didn't shock through ballistic vests very well, but the new X26 has a shaped pulse that might go through the vest.

Can you get a spokesperson from Taser Int'l as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:08 am 
Longtime Regular

What is the current law on defending yourself against a taser attack (for cops and civilians)?
In my opinion, if someone is going to hit me with a taser blast, I am shooting them. Can my heart take the voltage? Am I being incapacitated so I can be moved to a secondary crime scene? Will I crack my skull open when I fall? Is that a taser or a homemade zip gun? Tasers might legally be considered non-lethal but I don’t know the full intent of the person attacking me and once hit with the taser, I cannot defend myself.

I propose the taser be added to the MCPPA and the taser be an additional component in the permit to carry training. If a person wants a non-lethal option for defense, they take a carry class and get taser and firearm certified in one step. My $0.02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

They really would like us disarmed and totally dependent on the government for protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:43 pm 

I think you may have nailed it tepin, any reason that tazer weren't included in the permit to carry law? That would seem to be a logical way to protect it from bannination ( I just made that word up :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

sigman wrote:
They really would like us disarmed and totally dependent on the government for protection.

I definitely agree with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNXD9 wrote:
I think you may have nailed it tepin, any reason that tazer weren't included in the permit to carry law? That would seem to be a logical way to protect it from bannination ( I just made that word up :lol: )

No idea. kimberman is the pro on this topic. In my mind, if I am authorized to carry a firearm, I should be able to carry a club, knife, taser or anything as deadly or less deadly than a firearm. I use the term “less deadly” because if I wanted to I could kill you with a #2 pencil. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't think we want to open the MCPPA with the current legislators in power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:24 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Tasers weren't addressed in the permit to carry a pistol law: 1. Because they aren't pistols ( :wink: ), 2. Because electronic incapacitating devices are covered and allowed for most to carry by another statute (624.731)

Who would have thought that anti's would have attacked them? Personally, I didn't.

What's up next? Knives, baseball bats, rocks, and hurtful words.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
Tasers weren't addressed in the permit to carry a pistol law: 1. Because they aren't pistols ( :wink: )...

Shotguns and rifles aren’t pistols either. :P

sigman wrote:
I don't think we want to open the MCPPA with the current legislators in power.

I agree. tasers suck anyway! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

It might be good for the carry community to stand tall on carefully selected self defense or individual liberty issues like this, to demonstrate to legislators that we are still a strong political group.

I would assume that the anti's will by and by have some gun law proposals to justify the grant money they are getting, and it would be good if legislators discouraged such issues as too controversial.

If they get lots of email and a full room just on tasers, it could be a signal that this is not the time for new gun laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:24 pm 

Are there bill numbers we can cite if we want to write our legislators? Or hasn't got that far in the process yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:31 pm 
Wise Elder

No bill numbers yet. We are trying to keep ahead of the curve.

In short, Legislators need to hear a SHOUT of protest before the police lobbiests get there, while they are there with a bill, and afterwards until the bill is dead. Lots of real people complaining that they will be injured (because denied a safety tool) if the ban is adopted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:24 am 

Anyone care to share a sample idea of what I should include in my emails.

Is it even worth while to email people like Klobuchar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:44 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

tepin wrote:
Pakrat wrote:
Tasers weren't addressed in the permit to carry a pistol law: 1. Because they aren't pistols ( :wink: )...

Shotguns and rifles aren’t pistols either. :P

They aren't in the Permit to carry a pistol statute either.

Carrying long guns are an exception in another statute.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.