Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 GOCRA Experiences 
 Post subject: GOCRA Experiences
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:36 am 

I am contemplating spending some substantial time and treasure supporting GOCRA. While I assume that any action to carry the fight is positive, I have limited T&T and want to ensure that I am spending them wisely. Can any of you relate your experiences? Please no personal attacks on any individuals, and no 2nd hand 'I heard' - only 1st hand experience with how effective they have been in spending money wisely and taking action on behalf of our 2nd amendment rights. Thanks to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:33 am 
Wise Elder

In short, since the mid-1980's GOCRA and it's members have blocked, defeated or watered-down (and rendered ineffictive) over 100 (probably well over 200) anti-gun bills, sometimes a dozen in one hearing.

Acting as "Concealed Carry Reform, NOW!," in 1996 GOCRA created a focussed image, generated a 25,000 person mailing list, initiated and drove the campaign for right to carry reform. They selected the bill authors, drafted the bill, held town meetings all over the state, organized a legislative coalition, negotiated with police organizations, school administrators and other opponents, protected the bill from unfriendly amendments and got it passed in 2003. Lots of people helped but GOCRA provided the initiative, organization and drive. They did it again in 2005.

They have the only locally-based registered lobbiest at the Capitol. Among the Capitol Hill "players," GOCRA is the recognized voice of Minnesota's 1,000,000 responsible gun owners.

On the other hand, it's President can be autocratic, short-tempered, and so busy he may prioritize your issue off of his "to do" list. He acts rather that reports. He hates meetings. Etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:36 am 
Longtime Regular

In the interest of full disclosure, kimberman may or may not be one of the two principles at GORCA.

It's a good summary none the less though :-). Just the right balance of info, history, and snark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

My obersvations:

They are results oriented, but not real touchy-feelly.

Enjoy the political action, go elsewhere for a self-esteem fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Without GOCRA, no MPPA 2003 & 2005 (shall issue permit to carry in MN). PERIOD.

Without GOCRA, lots of bad gun bills passed in the past. PERIOD.

They may not be perfect in everyone's mind, but they were the ones to get things done. They worked long and hard on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum fng-dan!

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Thanks for your replies
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:52 pm 

Thanks to all for your replies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.