Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:25 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Alfred's 'How to Get Involved & Make a Difference' 
 Post subject: Alfred's 'How to Get Involved & Make a Difference'
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:41 pm 
Wise Elder

[This stuff is too good -- and too important -- to be buried in another post. We're going to make it a sticky here for the foreseeable. Thanks, Alfred, for this and all that came before. -Andrew Rothman]

(edited for formatting, ~1155, 21 Feb 08]

Let me share some lessons I learned working with CCRN and GOCRA. Again, these are what I've learned. There're lots of other good and different ideas out there.

And you know what? I had a big long post on this subject, but I'll break it up into tidbits, and keep adding 'em to this thread, hopefully daily.

Finally, these will sound simplistic. Don't be offended; it's my nature to go back to basics.

---

Getting Involved, Making a Difference
#1: Be Glad You Live in Minnesota

I'm serious. This is a state where legislators still answer their own telephones and know constituents by first name. That's not true in many other states.

This works to your advantage: you can develop a personal relationship with your legislator. You know them, they know you. Use it.

---

#2: Know Your Legislators

And I mean know who represents your district. You need, at hand:
    o mailing address at the capitol
    o office telephone number
    o email address at the capitol
You can find that at:

---

#3: Know the Bills

Keep track of firearms related bills, and know the bill numbers. The bill numbers are HFxxxx for bills originating in the House, SFxxxx for the Senate. Often, an identical bill will be introduced in both the House and Senate at the same time; these are called companion bills.

Minnesota also has a wonderful bill tracking system: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/leg/billsublogin.asp.

Tho the Revisor's Office bill search is a good place to begin: http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/legis.asp.

---

Stay tuned for more.

Al Fingulin

Last edited by aofpol on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:33 pm 
The Man

For those of you who are new to this, Alfred is one of the three non-legislators -- the other two are Joe Olson and David Gross -- without any one of whom, I believe, we wouldn't have had the carry law. (I'm prepared to back up that claim, but it's not a short story. Note: I'm not on that list.)

Short form: Alfred invented effective grassroots gunrights organizing in Minnesota. When he talks on the subject, it's every bit as authoritative as Joe talking about legislative mechanisms and Joe or David talking about the mechanics of legal construction.

Realistically, few of us either can or will learn Joe's or David's part of the craft; any of us who care to can learn how to do much of what Alfred did -- in fact, if he hadn't taught others how to do this stuff, it wouldn't have happened.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Support
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:57 pm 

They all appreciate financial election support!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:35 am 
Wise Elder

(added westhope's suggestions, ~1005, 22 Feb 08)
(edited for formatting, lite composition, ~1200, 21 Feb 08)

...part of a continuing series...

---

#4: Alfred's Guidelines

Whenever I try to make a difference in politics, I use the following guidelines.
    1. Influence People. Use rhetoric or logic, but influence people.

2. If they won't respond to influence, Make Friends. At least come away with respect. Friends can help you later in other matters.

3. If they don't want to be your friend, Be Entertaining. Politics is also theater, and those around you appreciate good humor. Try it; you might make a friend and gain influence later.

4. If they don't like entertainment, then the heck with 'em. That person is a waste of time and oxygen.
Those are mine. Make up your own.

---

#5: Legislators are Starved for Attention

Legislators are starved for direction and attention. They literally sit on there hands for the first month of the legislative session, trying to figure out what to do.

You can tell 'em what to do.

Oh, they hear from lobbyists and organizations, but these groups are experts who fill out legislative details. You are always first in line.

In Minnesota, there's a rule that goes like this:
    o If a legislator gets one letter on a subject, the subject is important.

o Three letters means a subject is really important.

o Ten letters will force a legislator to stake-out a position.
Use this.

---

#6: A Letter to a Legislator

A letter, by a constiuent to their legislator, is the most important thing you can do. (Later, I'll talk about communicating with legislators who don't represent you.)

Letters are sent in three ways:
    o a hand-written letter on paper; it shows you give-a-damn
    o a type-written letter on paper; it shows you're smart and business-like; these are becoming more common
    o email.
Paper has a disticnt advantage: it has physical volume. On any particular issue, a legislator can always pull out a stack of letters, slam the letters on the table, and state "Here's what my constiuents say." That's influence that cannot be ignored.

Email is still seen as "hit and run rants-n-rumors by those who carpet-bomb people", but is becoming more acceptable, especially to younger legislators (who've grown up with daily emails and instant messaging).

If you legislator is over 45 years old, they'll probably prefer paper. Under 45, email is just as legitimate as paper.

That first letter always has the following form:
    o First Paragraph
      - state the bill by number (HFxxxx) or the specific issue ("Sportsman are getting short-changed in funding.")
      - calls on the legislator to do something
        + vote for the bill
        + vote against the bill
        + "Remove that 'art-and-crafts' part of the constitutional amendment for dedicated game and fish funding."
      - I've seen this done in two sentences.
    o Second Paragraph
      - in general, state why this legislation or issue is a good thing or a bad thing
      - no more than three sentences.
    o Third Paragraph
      - state how this legislation or issue effects you personally
        + "This law turns me into a criminal just for being a gun owner. I don't deserve that."
        + "I want to pass on hunting to my children, and to those yet to discover hunting's simple joys."
      - no more than three sentences.
    o Fourth and Final Paragraph
      - Ask the legislator to
        + vote for the bill
        + vote against the bill
        + take a specific action ("Remove the art-and-crafts funding.")
      - Ask the legislator how they will vote or what they will do.
      - Ask for their reply in the next 10 calendar days.
Whether the letter is paper or email, don't forget to include:
    o your name
    o your mailing address
    o your telephone number
    o your email address, if you have one
There are some things you never do in a letter.
    o Never threaten a legislator.
    o Never get angry at a legislator.
    o Never insult a legislator.
All of that may make you feel good--it may even be justified--but it makes you an ass, someone safely ignored.

If you are ignored, you have no power.

The legislator may not agree with you, but the legislator now has:
    o no need to make assumptions for their constiuents
    o no excuse for inaction
    o no reason not to tell you what they think.

Finally, one coda to all this. Look over it; think about it. Your letter is a briefing paper for a legislator, providing talking points for use.

No lack of legislative direction here.

###

Last edited by aofpol on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:43 pm 
Journeyman Member

How long does it usually take to get a reply from your representative?
I sent an e-mail to mine ( Kathy Tingelstad), Sunday night and have only received the automated reply that you get shortly after sending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:29 pm 
Wise Elder

Give 'em 10 days for a reply. If no reply in 10 days, give 'em a phone call. I'll be addressing this in a post this weekend.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Alfred's #6: Letter to a Legislator

So obvious but esential, include your name, address and phone number (and e-mail).

I have had legislators call me to talk about the subject and I think to verify that I was the one writing the letter. They called to talk, wanting to talk to a real person, to confirm the author of the letter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:13 am 
Wise Elder

---

#7: Your Follow-Up Replies; Getting a Promise

Terrific. You sent a letter and got a reply. You'll get one of four replies:
    1. The legislator supports the bill or issue.
    2. The legislator is against the bill or issue.
    3. The legislator has reservations and wants changes.
    4. The legislator needs more info.
The first two cases are the best: You know where the legislator stands. This is what you want: a promise.

In those first cases, you always send a "thank you" postcard. I always use a humorous, Minnesota-y card (cute piglets, a hunter looking into a bear den saying "I don't think the bear's in there" just as a bear is about to bite the hunter's butt). And that postcard always states:

"Thank you for your position on (bill or issue). Your constituent (you name here)."

If it's the position you want, great. If it's not the position you want, you'll have work to do; more on that in subsequent tidbits.

That last two are a bit more difficult. In both cases:
    o You can drop the formality of the initial letter.

o You need another letter to draw out the reservations or missing info.

o You'll have to supply rhetoric and logic to counter reservations and supply info for the legislator's decision.
For a wonderful example of all this in action, see Tabsr's emails with Rep Paul Gardner.

But a word of caution on all legislator discussions:
    o Your goal is not to make a deal with the legislator.
    o The goal is for the legislator to make a deal with you.
You have to pin-down the legislator's position. And that's done by:
    o Addressing the legislator's reservations.

o Asking the legislator to satisfy those reservations by authoring an amendment to the bill.

o Supply info or personal experience for the legislator to use.

o Asking the legislator if they will now take a stance.

Make 'em promise. And no promise is no promise at all.

---

#8: The Newbie Legislator, Party Discipline, and The Passage of Time

Tabsr's emails with Rep Paul Gardner are interesting because Rep Gardner is a newbie; it's his first term in office.

Let's get real here: a newbies first goal in his first term is to bring back "goodies" to his district and use the "goodies" to get re-elected. And the "goodies" are determined by the party leadership, not the legislator.

When it comes to something as contentuous as Castle Doctrine, the newbie will lay low and gather info. Then he'll vote the way the party tells him to vote; that's called Party Discipline.

It's not the way we want Rep Gardner to vote, but that's because this newbie legislator has no clout. Yet.

That doesn't mean you give up on the newbie. Quite the contrary: you keep after him.

The newbie has to know there are people geninuly interested in Castle Doctrine. And Rep Gardner is genuinly interested in Tabsr's opinion.

Tabsr has started that dialog. What Tabsr is doing is a great example. Do like-wise.

And after a few re-elections, the seasoned legislator can buck Party Discipline, as all the Iron Range DFLers do on gun issues.

Of course, if the legislator refues to buck Party Discipline, then we have to get the legislator un-elected, and that's another story.

Getting involved, and making a difference, is always about going long and keeping after things.

###

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:08 am 
Wise Elder

---

#9: When There's No Reply, Then Make a Phone Call

So you've written and you've waited 10 days, and no reply has arrived. Now what?

Telephone the legislator. Always telephone the legislator at their office in St Paul.
    o For the first 1/2 of the legislative session, call during daytime business hours, 8AM-5PM.

o Later during the session, legislators are in St Paul almost 24/7; calls during the evening and into the night are likely answered.
No matter when you call, sometimes the legislator will answer the phone and sometimes an aide will answer.

If the legislator answers:
    o Identify yourself by name and community ("I'm Alfred and I live in Hollandale...")

o Tell 'em you're calling because you wrote a letter about a bill or issue ("I wrote you about HFxxxx...")

o Ask 'em if they got the letter

o If they got the letter:
      - ask the legislator what they plan to do about the bill or issue
      - don't ask what they "think"; you want to know what the legislator will "do"
      - of course, you'll both talk about what you think; and that's fine; that's how influence is done
      - ask for the courtesy of a written reply summarizing the legislator's position
      - add that you'll be sure to tell your friends about this conversation
    o If they didn't get the letter:
      - tell 'em you'd like to summarize that letter, right now, over the phone
      - if the legislator wants to talk about their position, need for more info, and so on, then that's great; talk to 'em!
      - if not, then ask them to dig out your letter and prepare a response
Some key things to remember:
    o Yes, you are "talking-thru" your letter with the legislator. That's fine.

o Your goal is to get a written committment from the legislator, even if it's not the outcome you desire.
Now, if a legislative aide answers:
    o Identify yourself by name and community

o Tell 'em you're calling because you wrote a letter about a bill or issue

o Tell the aide that you hadn't received a reply

o Ask the aide to schedule some telephone time between you and the legislator to talk about this bill or issue.
      - try to get a definate time and date
      - if you can't then have the aide call you back with a time and date
      - remember, the legislator may be available right away, so you may have that conversation right away
Finally, two more things to keep in mind:
    o Stay on the topic. This isn't the time to discuss other issues or hold-forth with your opinions on other matters.

o Thank the legislator or their aide for their time. Always. They are very busy up in St Paul, and respect for their time is always appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:22 pm 
Wise Elder

---

#10: Visit a Legislator and Bring Your Friends

Mere precense can be a powerful influence. That's why visiting a legislator is so important.

A legislator visit says:
    o You care about an issue.
    o You brought friends that care about the issue.
    o Each of you took valuable personal time to be heard.
    o The issue is so important that a face-to-face meeting is necessary.
You can go alone if you like, but bring friends if you can. The old cliche about "strength in numbers" applies, and your legislator knows it.

There's no set formula for a legislator visit. But I offer the following tidbits. (And I'll be happy to add yours.)

-> Start with the Representative and the Senator for your district, whether they favor or oppose an issue.

Legislators like talking to their constituents and want to hear what constituents think. Kegislators always give first hearing to their own people, and not people from other districts or lobbyists.

Many a legislator has changed a vote because 10 people from their district showed up.

-> It's best to visit a legislator at their office in St Paul.

Call ahead and see if you can set up an appointment. There is a good chance you'll get one.

If you can't get an appointment, don't be afraid to tell the legislator when you'll "just drop in."

If the legislator is available, the legislator will appreciate the break from the daily tedium and grind.

If the legislature is in session or the legislator is in a committee hearin, then be prepared to stand outside the chamber's doors. You'll have to button-hole the legislator as they come out. Always introduce yourself by name and mention your town. That will get their attention.

-> If you can't get to St Paul, visit the legislator in their district.

Many legislators return home on the weekends and during some weeknights. Try to get some of their time, at a place convienent to the legislator (home, business, bar, cafe... whatever works).

-> Bring your friends. Enough said.

-> At least one of you should have sent a letter to the legislator.

Remind the legislator of that fact.

And remember: that letter is your "briefing paper" that you wrote to prepare yourself for that legislator visit. Every one in your group should have read that letter or written one of their own.

-> If your legislator favors your issue, ask the legislator what additional help they need.

The legislator will give you plenty of ideas.

Note that it is in extremely bad taste to offer to work on a re-election campaign. Election activity comes later, after the legislature goes home.

-> If your legislator opposes your issue, ask the legislator what info they need to change their mind.

Your next job is to get that info and bring it back to the legislator.

Note that it is in extremely bad taste to engage in heated arguement. Opposition legislators will use that against you and your issue. Don't give 'em the chance.

-> Favor or oppose, the goal is to pin-down the legislator's position.

As you wrap-up your visit, there are three statements you need to make to the legislator:
    1. "I guess I can say you are..." (favor or opposed or have problems with the particular bill or issue).
    2. "And that's because..." (find a good one sentence summary).
    3. "I'll be sure to tell my friends."
-> Leave a calling card.

Here's another use for postcards:
    o "Thank you for taking the time to talk to us about..."
    o List the names and towns of the people who visited (a complete address is not always necessary).

-> In you district or not, always visit committee members.

Chances are, your bill or issue has been referred to a committee. It'll be debated and amended in that committee.

This is the one time visiting a legislator outside your district is essential.

Visit every committee member. Give 'em a copy of the letter you wrote to your legislator. And use every tidbit mentioned in this note.

-> Visiting legislators outside your district is OK, too.

Legislators always like to hear from their consituents first. And visiting legislators in districts adjacent to yours works well too. But if you live in Lakeville and visit the legislator from Bemidji, don't expect much time, unless that Bemidji legislator sits on committee your bill or issue must clear.

Finally, remember this: democracy works only for those that show up.

The legislator visit is "showing up."

###

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Political Contribution Refund
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:12 pm 

Participate by giving a contribution to those supporting 2nd Amendment. You can receive a complete refund from the state up to $100. See below link for information.
http://www.cfboard.state.mn.us/publicsu ... refund.htm

Post subject: Contribution Refund Form
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:26 pm 

The form and instructions at

http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/forms/pcr_08.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:24 am 
Wise Elder

Thank you, Tabsr. These links are important to have on-hand.

And for those wondering, I've not disappeared. Lots of work. Hope to post more lessons-learned in the next two weeks.

Al Fingulin

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.