Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ever get complimented and slammed in the same sentence? 
 Post subject: Ever get complimented and slammed in the same sentence?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:12 am 
1911 tainted

I got a telephone call from what sounded like a seasoned citizen about signing up for a Minnesota permit to carry course that I was doing at Scheels in Mankato. During the conversation I asked a few questions to find out her firearm background, some other small talk and then I asked what class date would work best for her. This is where she maybe got a little more honest than was needed. She said she had wanted to sign for a class at Hunters Den in New Ulm because she had heard such good things about their classes. When she tried to sign up for their class, she was informed that the next two classes were filled and couldn't get into one until about 2 months out. So she explained this all to me and since she couldn't get into her first pick, she want to sign up for my class at Scheels, which was her second choice.

So I guess I got a compliment and a slight slam in the same sentence. She was willing to sign up for her second pick, my class at Scheels in Mankato, because her first pick at Hunters Den in New Ulm was filled. I thought it kinda funny since I have been doing the classes at Hunters Den in New Ulm since 2005.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

When I was first sighting in my M16 at Fort Leonard Wood, my first 3-round group was pretty tight. That got me the closest thing I remember to a compliment from a drill sergeant:

"You been fuckin' up all day, tryin' to make up for it now, right?"

One of those questions you're never sure how to answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
When I was first sighting in my M16 at Fort Leonard Wood, my first 3-round group was pretty tight. That got me the closest thing I remember to a compliment from a drill sergeant:

"You been fuckin' up all day, tryin' to make up for it now, right?"

One of those questions you're never sure how to answer.

The only correct answer to that is: "drill sergeant, yes drill sergeant". :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ever get complimented and slammed in the same sentence?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:17 am 
Journeyman Member

cobb wrote:
So I guess I got a compliment and a slight slam in the same sentence. She was willing to sign up for her second pick, my class at Scheels in Mankato, because her first pick at Hunters Den in New Ulm was filled. I thought it kinda funny since I have been doing the classes at Hunters Den in New Ulm since 2005.

Think of it this way -- you're her only choice.... :lol:

But really, maybe her "first" choice of New Ulm was because she wanted a more familiar setting, hoping she'd know some one and feel more comfortable? (from New Ulm perhaps?) Honestly, I think she paid you a compliment...she's willing to travel outside her comfort zone possibly and you are her choice in that situation.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:20 pm 
Poet Laureate

Perhaps she lives in New Ulm? Why would you want to drive to Mankato for a class when you can take it at home?

I doubt that course "quality" was one of the first or second criteria on her list. To me, in a woman looking to carry a pistol, I would see her wanting to take the class with a friend, then perhaps determine the closest venue, and then maybe price, and finally, after all that, if they were really keen on the whole thing, look around at the resume offerings of different instructors.

I wouldn't take it personally Cobb!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think Cobb's comment means that: he teaches both classes and is both complemented that she wanted his New Ulm class and insulted that she'll settle for second best with his Mankato one!

Perhaps Cobb could clarify!

:? :? :? :? :? :? :?

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:23 pm 
1911 tainted

Carbide Insert wrote:
I wouldn't take it personally Cobb!

I think either you didn't read my post carefully enough or as usual I did a poor job of explaining.

Selurcspi wrote:
I think Cobb's comment means that: he teaches both classes and is both complemented that she wanted his New Ulm class and insulted that she'll settle for second best with his Mankato one!

DING, DING, we have a winner.

Exactly and I actually tried to keep from laughing when she told me this. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.