Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 A pretty good troll, all in all 
 Post subject: A pretty good troll, all in all
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:07 pm 
On permanent time out

[Other than this and the title of the message, I've left this thread alone, as I think -- despite the trolling -- it actually contains a pretty good discussion. Meanwhile, I'm assuming that Ezra/Jonah/whatever he's calling himself is back on the day care site, where he clearly belongs.

Ta-tah, "Jonah." Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

jr]

hey guys just moved here a week ago from neighboring wisconsin and want to take a carry class. i just turned 28 and have zero criminal offenses so i should be able to meet all the criteria.

i've been reading the forum for the past few days and have noticed a few instructors post here regularly. the one question i have is about the wide spectrum of prices for a permit class. i recall seeing prices ranging from $75 on up to $200. do the lower price instructors have less experience than the higher priced ones? or maybe the higher priced classes offer multiple permits from other states.

i'm excited to finally get a carry permit. as most of you know, wisconsin is not very friendly about carry permits. almost forgot, are there any reasonably priced instructors that teach in the eden prairie area? thanks for any help.

[This 'new member' has previously trolled the Forum as, variously, "ein brera", "Ezra Buck," and "1911silver." He's now gone back to the day care site. For those who are interested, his postings come from IP addresses 208.87.234.180 and 67.159.44.138. JR]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:12 pm 

My I recommend the owner of this forum (Joel Rosenberg). He literally wrote the book on legally carrying in Minnesota.

Since you mentioned Eden Prairie another who comes to mind is Andrew Rothman. He lives on that side of town. Chaska, Chanhassen...er one of those towns that starts with C. :oops:

There are plenty of others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would say what we instructors charge is not necessarily based on “experience” depending on your definition, but on what we feel the quality of our class is worth and the expenses we incur to be able to offer it. Don’t base your choice solely on cost for you quite often get what you pay for. There are many fine instructors that are members of this forum. Check out our websites, make some phone calls and talk to us personally, check references, then you can make an informed choice.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

well said Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

As you said, prices for the classes are all over the board. Usually, you get what you pay for (higher price=better quality), but that's not necessarily the case here.

The instructors that post here are pretty much 'top notch' (from what I've read & hear), and there's a bunch of 'em that live in and near the Twin Cities area.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hunter07 wrote:

The instructors that post here are pretty much 'top notch' (from what I've read & hear), and there's a bunch of 'em that live in and near the Twin Cities area.
And some that don't. :)

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:24 pm 
On permanent time out

thanks for speedy answers guys. i'll do a little research in a few days after i finish moving my wife's things into our new home. will check back in a few days. thanks mucho!

[This 'new member' has previously trolled the Forum as, variously, "ein brera", "Ezra Buck," and "1911silver." He's now gone back to the day care site. For those who are interested, his postings come from IP addresses 208.87.234.180 and 67.159.44.138. JR]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:32 pm 
On permanent time out

i just recieved a private message from someone recommending don larson. does anyone know if he teaches in eden prairie area? also would like his website if he has one. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am only about a 3 ~ 3.5 hr. drive away. :P :wink: Good luck with your search. We expect a full class report once completed. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:43 pm 

MN Carry Permit.com

He does his permit classes in St. Louis Park, range qualification at Burnsville Pistol Range.
He does 1-2 a month depending on demand.

Teaches advanced classes too...

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

I used Don for my initial permit. I didn't use him for my second, but only because I jacked up my timing and had to get it done fast.

He's definitely one of the good ones.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:52 pm 
The Man

There's lots of good instructors here; to learn more about the TCCarry class, you could ask around, or click here.

There's no question that my class costs more than at least most; on the other hand, it does include the book (list price $29.95, I believe), the new Supplement, the wallet card, and range fees and targets, so it's perhaps not that much more expensive than some that don't include such things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

What does the supllement contain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 pm 
The Man

JimC wrote:
What does the supllement contain?
Mainly, it's instructions on getting various permits, and which states they cover -- complete with maps. Beyond that, there's recommend shopping venues for handguns, holsters and other gear, custom holster makers, lock boxes and gun boxes, a suggestion as to where to practice and where not to practice in the Metro area, and a short discursion on gun safety to share with family and friends. I boiled down the handouts I used to use and then expanded them some, all to make things a little easier.

No proprietary information -- all the information is available elsewhere; this is just intended to make things a little easier and more convenient for my students, both during the class (it helps with the multi-state part of the class) and after.

(ETA: it's kind of like the wallet card. All the information on it is available on the Forum, as well as other places, but the idea is to put the three important phrases and four possibly important phone numbers in one place, on a plastic card that can fit in a wallet -- and still leave room for the face of my business card on the other side.)

Thanks for asking, btw.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:45 pm 

I would recommend Joel also, but that's based on observing him at Burnsville Pistol. He spend alot of time with each of his students, teaching everything from stance to pistol types. I'm pretty sure he was with one of his students for at least 25 minutes, helping get her comfortable with handling the firearm and technique. So I know why his class costs more... he goes through a fair amount of ammo at the range :P

I went to one of the cut rate, run them through the live fire in 10 rounds and 2 minutes instructors. Wouldn't recommend him to anyone, and will be taking another course through Joel with my wife once she's done with rotations this summer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.