Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Andy Shapero's extended curtain call 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

In a PM I sent at 3:45pm I wrote

Quote:
As to his last post(non gun)don't have a friggin clue what he just said
I received a PM from joelr asking this at 3:48pm .......
Quote:
If there's something about my last post that you don't understand, I'll be perfectly willing to explain it to you -- publicly or privately.

Are PM's being read by owner/moderators?

If so I will quit using that form of communication.

Public explanation is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:03 pm 
The Man

The site owner has access to all of the data in the database, including the entire message base, I was surprised to learn earlier today, although I shouldn't have been.

For more information on PHPBB, see http://www.phpbb.com . For an explanation as to why your promiscuous use of big fonts is annoying, work it out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:21 pm 

One measure an institution, whether it is involved in dissemination of news or disucussion of issues, is to gauge what is being said by/on that forum. Perhaps it could just as accurately be measured by what is not being said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joel wrote
Quote:
You've also gotten, perhaps, that your own nose is eminently tweakable, as well.

Could I get that in English, because I have no idea to what you are referring to.
Quote:
For an explanation as to why your promiscuous use of big fonts is annoying, work it out.

I tend to use the large fonts and bold, instead of using expletives, as has been pointed out to me before, it's a family site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:34 pm 
The Man

A Brit in MN wrote:
Joel wrote
Quote:
You've also gotten, perhaps, that your own nose is eminently tweakable, as well.

Could I get that in English, because I have no idea to what you are referring to.

You have, as you know, been pushing to try to see what you can get away with, and been off in the corner, giggling about it like a schoolgirl. You've found that you can get away with a lot, but that that can be pointed out, as well.

It's really not complicated; since I know you're not stupid, I think it's unfortunate that you're trying to affect not to understand it .
Quote:
For an explanation as to why your promiscuous use of big fonts is annoying, work it out.
Quote:
I tend to use the large fonts and bold, instead of using expletives, as has been pointed out to me before, it's a family site.
The occasional use of bolding and italics is just fine; your promiscuous use of GREAT BIG LETTERS is annoying. Please stop it. If you want to distinguish yourself by your use of language, use words well and thoughtfully, rather than simply YELLING ALL THE TIME, or even most of the time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Farewell for a while
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

joelr wrote:
I've been more than willing to discuss the issues -- including the issue of how much candor there's been in Pinnacle's (and others') pravda that they were only nagging me and Andrew about going on the radio out of their tender concern for Scott Treptow's welfare.

Why does their motive matter?

Personally, I don't much care about Treptow, or about Officer Where's The Feet. I care very much about the precedents set, and the incentives that various government departments will have (toward or away from various kinds of actions) in the future.

But whether you care about the individuals involved, the long-term precedents, or both, discussion about how any particular action will affect those things is useful. Correct analysis is more likely to arise from such discussion than by any one person opining.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:57 pm 
The Man

SethB wrote:
joelr wrote:
I've been more than willing to discuss the issues -- including the issue of how much candor there's been in Pinnacle's (and others') pravda that they were only nagging me and Andrew about going on the radio out of their tender concern for Scott Treptow's welfare.

Why does their motive matter?
Fair question. I'm unfond of deceptive passive-aggression; I grew up around it, and it reminds me of Dear Old Mom. (She was never quite the same after that house fell on her sister.)
Quote:
Personally, I don't much care about Treptow, or about Officer Where's The Feet. I care very much about the precedents set, and the incentives that various government departments will have (toward or away from various kinds of actions) in the future.

But whether you care about the individuals involved, the long-term precedents, or both, discussion about how any particular action will affect those things is useful. Correct analysis is more likely to arise from such discussion than by any one person opining.
I couldn't agree more; that's why I refused to cut off discussion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think the motive angle here is one of highlighting hypocrisy.

No offense to Pinnacle but his posts are not normally all sunshine, light, and high society manners nor generally altruistic.

They're often opinionated, blunt, factual and interesting.

He has in the past come down on the side of the police who he works with and can empathize with. In this case, his claim to be only looking out for Treptow where embarrassment of police is concerned rings hollow in some ears. It may be one of his motives but the suspicion and allegation is it's not his only one.

The hard part is that there is definite heat in the exchange and there's a fair bit of this that has happened off board. That doesn't necessarily mean that what happened off board doesn't reflect on the people here, their motives, and the ultimate support or frustration of the effort for more transparency.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
I have absolutely no animosity towards anyone here even if you do not agree with me and my opinions - that is what makes America great and I am all for a spirited argument.

I have met a ton of great folks here and made some good friends and shared a lot of information. Great bunch of people.

Pinnacle

Take care and have a good life. Hope you do come back.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:18 pm 

Joel, chalk up one for the thought police. =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:21 pm 
The Man

MOTOBOB wrote:
Joel, chalk up one for the thought police. =(
Nah. Pinnacle, it's worth remembering, is taking a break by his own decision. I think it's a good one, but it's his.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:41 pm 

joelr wrote:
The site owner has access to all of the data in the database, including the entire message base, I was surprised to learn earlier today, although I shouldn't have been.

For more information on PHPBB, see http://www.phpbb.com . For an explanation as to why your promiscuous use of big fonts is annoying, work it out.

i am not understanding how your above response is answering A Brit in MN's question. it seems reasonable that an indicative question asked in a verb of being should be answered in a "yes", "no" or one of the previous with explanation. stating that one has access and stating one is using that access are two entirely different implications. the link you provided does not give answer to A Brit in MN's question.

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:47 pm 
The Man

pastor paul wrote:
joelr wrote:

i am not understanding how your above response is answering A Brit in MN's question. it seems reasonable that an indicative question asked in a verb of being should be answered in a "yes", "no" or one of the previous with explanation..
You're certainly entitled to that opinion; thanks for sharing it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:51 pm 
The Man

plblark wrote:
I think the motive angle here is one of highlighting hypocrisy.

No offense to Pinnacle but his posts are not normally all sunshine, light, and high society manners nor generally altruistic.

They're often opinionated, blunt, factual and interesting.

He has in the past come down on the side of the police who he works with and can empathize with. In this case, his claim to be only looking out for Treptow where embarrassment of police is concerned rings hollow in some ears.
It did -- and does -- in mine. That said, it's hardly the only explanation that he gave; perhaps one of the others is more accurate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:39 pm 

I am not liking the recent post I have read in a few threads... What is going on in this forum? Granted, I haven't read all the stuff that relates to pinnacle but it seams that differing opinions are not entirely welcome then? OR is it a button pushing things that get the brute force of the "powers at be"?

I joined last November and the tone way way better then than it is now. What gives?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.