Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Slender build 
 Post subject: Slender build
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:38 pm 

I have an issue concealing. I have a very slender build and any thing I put on my waist ends up looking huge. I can stuff a derringer in my waistband and put a light coat or vest over it and you can spot it a block away. :shock: Any sugestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:03 pm 
On time out

My suggestion is have another beer and a pizza and shut the Eff up.

well just kidding,

But seriously what material the cover garment is made of has a lot to do with how it drapes. A quality IWB holster like a Tucker answer or our own srigs makes will help a great deal. My wife is very slender and she carries an IWB tucker and loves it, when she carries on body,

Edited because apple's "spell checker" for the ipod is possessed.

Last edited by 1911fan on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

My guess is, you don't reall have an issue. Have people mentioned it? Have you been "outed" by folks? I used to think my sidearm was the biggest, heaviest, lumpiest thing in the room (or the stadium). Now, I just untuck my shirt a little, drape it over the gun (appendix carry) and go about my business. If anyone has ever noticed they haven't said anything. Oh, I'm 5'6" and weigh about 150lbs. Some guns actually are bigger than me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm 

Every year I'm fixing that slender problem more and more. I may not even qualify anymore. I've been munching Halloween candy for a couple days now. If I don't get a bunch of trick or treators to take the rest, I'm looking at another 10 lbs easy :)

The only problem I have is shirts that are too thin catching on it when I get up from sitting, etc. It doesn't take all that much to hide it - much less than you think it does. Even my wife doesn't notice half the time.

Get a good IWB and you'll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 am 

Thanks for the responses. 1911 that holster looks like a good plan. to answer another posters question, no one has said anything but I have gotten a couple looks, not often. I may worry too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:56 am 

nframe wrote:
I may worry too much.

I think that's it. How long have you been carrying? A fews years back, when I started, I thought everyone could certianly tell. Now, the thought doesn't even cross my mind. Most sheeple aren't paying attention to everyone elses mid-section while out in public anyway. And if they are, and they DO notice....well, who cares? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

A pancake style holster helps hide and smooth out the bulk of the gun either OWB or IWB. The hardest part to conceal well is the grip of the gun most of the time and with the right cant will help.

Of my line... The Slide for OWB is best and Double Clip or Snap would be the choice with 15 deg cant.

Also, try moving the gun further back to the 4 o'clock position should help with concealing the grip. More cant is needed the further you go back.

With smaller guns, appendix carry works well with j-frames, Kahrs and Kel-tecs.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

I too am thin. I like a pocket holster for my J-Frame.
Not that he is the only option out there, but I would definitely look at Side Guard Holsters. He has a lot of different options for you to try out. Local, excellent craftsmanship, great to work with.
Good luck!

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:17 am 
Longtime Regular

The people who wear holsters with 'wings' (VMII style) are generally round or normal oval. But if you are skinny then the 'wings' on the holster can't bend enough at your hip-bone. The thing that makes the holster more comfortable and more stable doesn't work for skinny people.

So, you need to wear a holster that has the belt loop / clip attached directly to the body of the holster. Kydex can do this w/o making the holster more bulky, but with leather this tends to be a little more bulky of a design.

My .02.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

nframe wrote:
Thanks for the responses. 1911 that holster looks like a good plan. to answer another posters question, no one has said anything but I have gotten a couple looks, not often. I may worry too much.

They may know you have something, but will probably quickly dismiss it. And even in the case where they know you have something, and spend the intellectual time to wonder what, a gun is not likely to be their first thought.

In an age where everyone seems to carry a PDA or cellphones, that's more likely to be what they think you have.

sheepdog is right, it's a feeling everyone has at first. I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs and I carry a fairly large semi-auto. Even with a baggy sweatshirt there is a bulge. But I've only been outed once and in that case my cover apparel wasn't long enough to cover it when I bent over to grab something out of a cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:54 pm 
Journeyman Member

I am 6' even and weigh 165lbs. i used to panic about it showing then i started a game with my wife i would carry when ever we went out to see if she noticed. (she pays close attention to how i dress(doesn't like some of my funny shirts). i used to use a universal clipdraw on my xd40 full size 4inch barrel and she never noticed. now i bought a Springfield 1 piece paddle holster and where your normal collared shirt and she can't see it at all. i have also tried it with my ACU(Army) and regular t-shirts with jeans and seems to pull it in tight enough no one notices.

if you are really worried about it by a pocket gun and no one will ever notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

[quote="TLRSKUNK"] i used to panic about it showing then i started a game with my wife i would carry when ever we went out to see if she noticed./quote]

The GF can never tell when I'm carrying either. What's better her father (Ramsey County Deputy) can't tell either.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.