Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Serpa CQC Holster 
 Post subject: Serpa CQC Holster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:57 pm 

Picked up a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster last night. Not the Carbon Fiber one I wanted, but... Blackhawk doesn't make a Serpa CQC holster for my Sigma 40ve, but the one for the Glock 20/21 and S&W MP works just fine. The only thing I don't like about it is due to the fact the Glock 20/21 are full size and my Sigma is a compact, the barell length of the holster is an inch longer than the barell of the Sigma. I will probably break out the Dremel tool and cut an inch of the holster off. That should make it tuck up under the outer garment a little better. I haven't carried with it yet, but I did play with it a little last night and it is pretty nice. Well, a lot nicer than the crappy nylon holster I WAS using. It comes with a belt clip and a paddle. It keeps the weapon pretty close to the body. I keeps the weapon very secure. I was TUGGING on it trying to get the Serpa to let go and it never did. I like it. I still want to get an IWB holster, but for open carry I don't think you can go wrong with a Serpa CQC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 pm 

Definitely agreed on that. I have a Serpa for my SIG, and I love the thing. Perfect for open carry, and I find it very handy for when I ride my motorcycle. Great design.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:21 pm 
Poet Laureate

It's the only one I use, for both Open and Concealed carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:33 pm 

Carbide Insert wrote:
It's the only one I use, for both Open and Concealed carry.

+1 I find it more comfortable to wear than I expected. If people see it or not, I'm not terribly concerned with their comfort level, depending on my location at that given moment.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

I still like leather better :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:26 pm 

Believe it or not the MN National Guard was nice enough to issue us these for our M92's. However, they were mounted on a thigh rig...try riding comfortably in a HMMWV for longer than 10 minutes with a pistol on your thigh! Other than that, they work great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have one but never use it. I bought it for when I went to frontsight for my spare gun 5" 1911. I carry a commander in leather. Thankfully I never used my back up as my commander kept right on ticking. I know that Gabe Suarez will not allow them in his classes as he has personally seen people have NDs with them. Something about their finger pushing the button and then accidentally enter the trigger guard. Have any of you heard of this?

Last edited by jaysong on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 pm 
On time out

I have heard several other training camps won't allow them after people in action have shot themselves when the trigger finger slips of the edge of the holster hard enough to hit the trigger and cause a discharge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:30 am 

Simple enough solution to that. One shrewd snip with a cutter and the button no longer functions. Then only the secondary adjustable retention works. I have turned my holster upside down with the gun in and shaken it gently and that secondary retention works just swell. It is my favorite holster, but the day I brought it home I realized I didn't want to have to deal with the button so I dealt with it. Took about 30 seconds to snip it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

cmj685 wrote:
Simple enough solution to that. One shrewd snip with a cutter and the button no longer functions. Then only the secondary adjustable retention works. I have turned my holster upside down with the gun in and shaken it gently and that secondary retention works just swell. It is my favorite holster, but the day I brought it home I realized I didn't want to have to deal with the button so I dealt with it. Took about 30 seconds to snip it.

An even simpler solution would have been to buy the same holster without the locking mechanism.
I have been carrying in a CQC for a couple of years and have no concern about whether I'm going to be pulling the trigger when I pull the gun from this holster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:20 pm 

Sounds more like a training issue. I have been using it for a couple weeks now and I haven't shot myself in the foot yet. Really, I would be hard pressed to see how this would happen. When I unholster, my finger is nowhere near the trigger; it is right along the slide like it is supposed to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:41 pm 

On proper Serpas can you rack the slide while the gun is locked in?

I love that I can operate every control(except trigger) while holstered and that the retention works even with the slide locked back. (CZ75 in a 92 Serpa)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

mitchx3 wrote:
On proper Serpas can you rack the slide while the gun is locked in?

Yes., if you're strong enough to get a good grip on the rear of the slide and can pull it "back" far enough. It's a rather awkward compared to chambering with the gun in front of you pointed forward.

Quote:
I love that I can operate every control(except trigger) while holstered and that the retention works even with the slide locked back. (CZ75 in a 92 Serpa)

The slide lock lever is covered on my XD. There's no way to lock it back without an empty mag. But, I don't see why you'd need or want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:46 am 
Poet Laureate

Rand McNally wrote:
Sounds more like a training issue. I have been using it for a couple weeks now and I haven't shot myself in the foot yet. Really, I would be hard pressed to see how this would happen. When I unholster, my finger is nowhere near the trigger; it is right along the slide like it is supposed to be.

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:31 pm 

Rand McNally wrote:

I watched Rob Pincus demonstate that a Glock could be discharged if the shirt were accidently tucked in with the gun. If the shirt was pulleed out first, the trigger would "discharge". We could repeat this on demand.

Mark

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.