Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Kydex holster question 
 Post subject: Kydex holster question
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I see a lot of Kydex holsters out there.
Can Kydex scratch the finish on a gun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:44 pm 

I had one for my blued Taurus 1911, but I had to return it. For some reason it started rubbing off the finish in two length-wise strips on top of the slide.

Now, in my opinion, the blueing on the taurus is kinda thin. If I had a stainless 1911 (which I want tremendously) I'd be more willing to try this material of holster again, but for now I'm an all-leather guy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:25 am 
Longtime Regular

I've owned a couple kydex holsters and they all rubbed finish off of my guns. One I can discount because it was molded way too closely in places unnecessary (ejection port? Dust cover? ) Where all it needed was general shape and trigger guard o "click" for retention. It's the rub points that wear. The same happens in general on leather but the leather takes some of the wear and the leather eventually gets just that little bit worn so it's no longer two hard angles intersecting.

Short: yes, kydex is harder on finishes, even good finishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:39 am 
Longtime Regular

The plastic holsters aren't as bad if you keep them really clean. Grit seems to get imbedded and that's what scratches the finish. I prefer leather.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks plblark and Jai9100. You confirmed what I thought.
I guess, I'll have to go with leather instead. I don't see that there are too many other options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:53 am 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, my Blade-Tech Kydex holster took the bluing off where it gripped the trigger guard, and some on the top of the slide, on my 1911s. Strictly speaking, I think the wear's caused by dust and dirt that get in between the gun and the plastic, rather than the plastic itself, but that's academic since I don't live in a bubble.

I think it did somewhat reduce what I got for my Kimber when I traded it in for a stainless gun (Great minds think alike).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.