Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 "I've never been made" and other lies 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:56 pm 

I was made wearing a shoulder holster under a larger hoodie. One of the damn straps was showing on top of my shoulders because the hoodie slid a bit. Store owner asked me what I was carrying, 1911 I replied. Than we talked abit about how to get a carry permit. Once I found out that he had no problem with carry holders, it became my preferred place to shop. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:00 pm 

I made an older fellow carrying something in 9mm in a front pants pocket the other night. Turned out he was a retired LEO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:10 pm 
Journeyman Member

Jai9100 wrote:
I was made wearing a shoulder holster under a larger hoodie. One of the damn straps was showing on top of my shoulders because the hoodie slid a bit. Store owner asked me what I was carrying, 1911 I replied. Than we talked abit about how to get a carry permit. Once I found out that he had no problem with carry holders, it became my preferred place to shop. :D

what store was this so we may all frequent this store as much as possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:20 pm 

TLRSKUNK wrote:
Jai9100 wrote:

what store was this so we may all frequent this store as much as possible?

Legacy Liquor in Waconia. (If anyone lives out this way) Its on the google friend or foe list, or it was before the site disappeared. :?
http://robdoar.com/TCC/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

To my knowledge I've only been "made" once, and that was by a police officer at my neighborhood's National Night Out this year...and that was only because I bent over to get something out of a cooler and my t-shirt rode up.

But I don't think it's near as noticeable as you think. You notice because you're looking and you know what to look for, having "suffered" the same pitfalls. Most others don't, and even then I'd say it would be difficult.

During the monthly meetings of an organization I belong to a friend of mine, incidentally a Ramsey County Deputy (one of the "good" ones), frequently sits next to me. He knows I am usually carrying but he's mentioned before he's never able to tell if I am or not.

If he can't even tell sitting next to me, knowing where, how and what I carry, I highly doubt John Doe can tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Had a fun time recently. I was open carrying at a party. Got to talking with a woman who my friend introduced to me as someone to talk with about carry. We talked for about 20 or 30 minutes before she asked "are you carrying now?"
"Oh yes."
"Where is it?"
"It's right here."
"Oh my gosh I didn't even notice!"

Not saying I've never been "made." Just that many people don't really notice it if they don't know what they're looking for or if they just don't care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:11 am 
Journeyman Member

The other weekend, my son and I were at the MOA, and a couple of girls came strolling up to us. One of them ran smack into my strong side, and the G17 under my shirt; she must have known what it was she had hit, because her eyes got as large as saucers. I just smiled at her; apparently where she's from, good guys don't carry.

On a side note, I think it's a sad day when a teenaged girl from Bloomington can tell a guy's carrying by bumping into him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 am 
The Man

kecker wrote:
To my knowledge I've only been "made" once, and that was by a police officer at my neighborhood's National Night Out this year...and that was only because I bent over to get something out of a cooler and my t-shirt rode up.

But I don't think it's near as noticeable as you think. You notice because you're looking and you know what to look for, having "suffered" the same pitfalls. Most others don't, and even then I'd say it would be difficult.

During the monthly meetings of an organization I belong to a friend of mine, incidentally a Ramsey County Deputy (one of the "good" ones), frequently sits next to me. He knows I am usually carrying but he's mentioned before he's never able to tell if I am or not.

If he can't even tell sitting next to me, knowing where, how and what I carry, I highly doubt John Doe can tell.
Yup. I had two students in my class last weekend who I know carry routinely -- and one of whom had asked me how I felt about folks taking refreshers carrying in class -- and I was looking for how both were carrying, and could only guess.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:23 am 

I try very hard not to go to the MOA on the weekends. The crowds are too large for me to enjoy myself. :x

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:54 am 
On time out

I find it funny when the subject has come up and people ask if I do carry and I say "you have never seen me NOT carrying" It takes a moment then there eyes just get huge when they realize that they might have been around me several hundred times and never noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Bingo. That was my family when I came out of the gun closet. :)

1911fan wrote:
I find it funny when the subject has come up and people ask if I do carry and I say "you have never seen me NOT carrying" It takes a moment then there eyes just get huge when they realize that they might have been around me several hundred times and never noticed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:47 pm 
The Man

1911fan wrote:
:) Been there, done that.

Back in 2003, when we were first passing the MCPPA, I was up at the Capitol and ended up getting interviewed by a reporter about the subject of carry, generally, and forbidden areas; we'd stepped outside, so I could have a cigarette while we chatted. He was under the impression that carry in the Capitol was forbidden, rather than simply requiring notice to the CPS, and I explained what the law was (and, for that matter, still is) and that I had given notice. (He already knew I had a permit; he remembered me testifying, a couple of years before, about the issues.)

"But it's not like you've got a loaded gun on you now," he said.

I smiled, and his face went white.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Bingo. That was my family when I came out of the gun closet. :)

1911fan wrote:

Mine also... very common experience. My wife even had that same conversation with her mother. :shock:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
Had a fun time recently. I was open carrying at a party. Got to talking with a woman who my friend introduced to me as someone to talk with about carry. We talked for about 20 or 30 minutes before she asked "are you carrying now?"
"Oh yes."
"Where is it?"
"It's right here."
"Oh my gosh I didn't even notice!"

Not saying I've never been "made." Just that many people don't really notice it if they don't know what they're looking for or if they just don't care.

I had a similar story. We were at a party and I was OCing. About 3 hours later an older lady came up to me and said, "Do you have a real gun?" I said, "yes I do, Its right here."
I thought I was going to get an earful, but she smiled and said, "Thats great. Your wife told me you had one so I had to ask."
We talked about permits a bit after that. I thought it was amazing that nobody said anything before that (the type of people at the party would have said something positive or negative if they did see it... wife's friends! :) )

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:55 pm 

PocketProtector642 wrote:
AGoodDay wrote:

I had a similar story. We were at a party and I was OCing. About 3 hours later an older lady came up to me and said, "Do you have a real gun?" I said, "yes I do, Its right here."
I thought I was going to get an earful, but she smiled and said, "Thats great. Your wife told me you had one so I had to ask."
We talked about permits a bit after that. I thought it was amazing that nobody said anything before that (the type of people at the party would have said something positive or negative if they did see it... wife's friends! :) )

I wish I could say that. I get an ear full every time I carry. Either her dad or her mom (they are divorced) is always making a big deal about it. I calmly explain to them that 1) I paid a lot of money for the "right" to carry and I am going to get full use of my money. 2) the safety of my family is of bigger concern to me than your feelings about me carrying. 3) the life I safe just might be your own.

I always get the same "talk": "The more you carry the more used to having it you will be and the more used to having it the more likely you will be to drawing it. Basically you are just looking for a reason to shoot someone. You are more likely to get yourself into trouble then out of it with a gun."

I just smile and again inform them; I am trained, qualified and knowledgable enough to carry. I know the laws and the circumstance to which I can draw and use my weapon. This is a last ditch effort to save my life or someone close to me. I do not "look" for a reason to use it and I pray I never have to.

It doesn't matter, the same old talk. Now I am not "allowed" to carry at their respective houses. Stupid because they are both hunters and they both own many guns. Her dad is even a former marine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.