Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stellar pocket holsters 
 Post subject: Stellar pocket holsters
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:40 pm 

http://www.stellarrigs.com/Stellar_Pocketholsters.html

Anyone have any experience with these? They look intriguing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looks kind of cool. I like the mag holder ones. A little on the $$ side though compared to other pocket holsters. You will have to give us a review!

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:05 pm 

The mag holder ones are indeed intriguing but look like they're too big to fit in ordinary pants pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 pm 

I don't know... honestly, if you have a toaster oven and a $12 sheet of kydex you can do the same thing. The expensive thing comes in the bonding the fold together.
Think carefully about how you will get a firing grip with that magazine in the way right next to the grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:36 pm 

<<<toaster oven>>>

Ok, I'll bite. Where do you get Kydex by the sheet, and what gauge is appropriate for things like holsters? Also, how then do you bond the two sheets? Cement? Adhesive? Mechanical fasteners?

<<<firing grip>>>

That does appear to be a problem although the holsters with the magazines placed diagonally below the pistol have somewhat more clearance. If I get one it will be a pistol-only holster with no provisions for the magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:27 pm 

I got mine from a knife building type site, I'll post a link tomorrow if you're interested (no affiliation).
I put my IWB holsters together with Chicago screws and rubber to take up the tension. I haven't tried to mesh them so cleanly together because the only stuff I've found to chemically weld them was more expensive than I was willing to spend.
No, PVC and CPVC glue like you use for plumbing doesn't work. I've tried. Kydex is a derivitive but they don't work.

Firing grip: Save your money and get a local aritsan to make you one with leather. If that fails, I'll make you one with leather. Just as easy to make, and cheaper. More fun for me, anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:04 am 

http://www.kleerdex.com/briefs/103A.pdf

"The best joints can be obtained using viscous solvent cement consisting of about 10% KYDEX sheet shavings or sawdust dissolved in a 50/50 mixture of tetrahydrofuran (THF) and methy ethyl ketone (MEK). The shavings should be dissolved in the straight THF first, before adding the appropriate amount of MEK. Both of these solvents are available from lab supply companies such as Fischer Scientific (www.fishersci.com), Ashland Chemicals (www.sigmaaldrich.com), or other chemical distributors."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahydrofuran

I was able to find a list price of $18 a liter. The trouble is you have to get it through chemical supply places who generally dislike tiny little orders from people they don't know. MEK is, of course, a standard hardware store item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 am 

The Chemistry Store is set up for little orders, but they charge heavily. Looks like they don't carry it anyway.
Thanks for the info!

I used the 0.08 and 0.06 for the holsters. The thicker makes good belt loops and hooks too.

The kydex IWB on the left had a couple different colored hooks for my wife to coordinate with her wardrobe. I don't have that one any more.

The leather pocket holster has been redesigned to cover the entire trigger guard as well as a flap to avoid printing... This was a pic I uploaded a while ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:51 am 

There are a couple of things I find attractive about the Stellar holsters that would appear to give them unusually good concealment:

1) They're Kydex, which is thinner than thin leather. Why carry the thinnest gun in the world and put it in a Galco holster that, with four layers of leather at the top, adds a quarter inch?

2) The best (non-magazine) designs are shaped to be four point, so should print as a wallet.

3) They cover the trigger area completely, appear secure, yet do not cover the rearward portion (hammer area) of the slide. In my experience the rear slide area is what protrudes the most, and having zero thickness in this area should help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:17 am 

I would think with being so formed to the shape of the gun, if you stuck that in a back pocket of jeans it would show a nice gun shape through. The leather pocket holster in the pic prints terribly without the layer of leather on the ouside.

Just my thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:20 am 

Probably. I think it's more suitable for front-pocket carry where the fabric isn't stretched and the outside points are what give the shape.

By the way, I found some suitable cement from an online retailer:

http://www.rplastics.com/weldon4007.html

Post subject: Holsters, holsters, holsters
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:39 am 

I think "GOOP" would work as a bonding agent and its under $4.00 a tube in major dept. stores.

Post subject: Re: Holsters, holsters, holsters
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 am 
Longtime Regular

G3Man wrote:
I think "GOOP" would work as a bonding agent and its under $4.00 a tube in major dept. stores.

Another option is a rivet setup. For $10, you can get 100 rivets and setter. Just though I would share. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:40 pm 

Srigs, have you tried riveting leather and kydex? Or just those pronged screw jobbers?

(Yeah, I know what I mean. It might help if I learn the names of stuff...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

Would that be Chicago screws?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.