Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 First Gun -- Holster and Practical Concealment Advice 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:06 am 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
Regardless of what option you go with, keep in mind that the XD's have that little loaded-chamber-indicator on the top of the slide. Lots of holsters will interfere with that (assuming you will carry with one in the chamber). I had to run my XD in and out of the holster several times to wear in a little channel for the chamber indicator.

Doesn't your XD have a front sight? If the holster has a channel to accommodate the front sight, that should be more than enough for the chamber loaded indicator on an XD which is only about half the height of the front sight, if that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 pm 

ree wrote:
sheepdog wrote:
Regardless of what option you go with, keep in mind that the XD's have that little loaded-chamber-indicator on the top of the slide. Lots of holsters will interfere with that (assuming you will carry with one in the chamber). I had to run my XD in and out of the holster several times to wear in a little channel for the chamber indicator.

Doesn't your XD have a front sight? If the holster has a channel to accommodate the front sight, that should be more than enough for the chamber loaded indicator on an XD which is only about half the height of the front sight, if that.

Well, yeah...it does. But being that the muzzle heads into the holster first, there is plenty of room, but once the gun is almost fully insterted, the chamber indicator area of the slide is being pressed into the top part of the holster.

Perhaps a picture or two would help. I'll see what I can do about that for clarity. It's a little hard to explain...but rest assured, with this particular holster, having one in the chamber definitely made a difference when holstering the gun. After enough use, it's a non-issue now and I really like the holster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
Perhaps a picture or two would help. I'll see what I can do about that for clarity. It's a little hard to explain...but rest assured, with this particular holster, having one in the chamber definitely made a difference when holstering the gun. After enough use, it's a non-issue now and I really like the holster.

No, I understand entirely what you mean.

It just so happens that most leather holsters I've got have had a channel designed into the top. I have one that required repeated drawing to eliminate snagging of the front sight when drawing (by scraping away leather with the front sight). All my kydex stuff has tons of room designed in for sights.

It's one thing to holster with the muzzle pointed forward a little, but when drawing I've found I draw the gun straight out of the holster and then rotate as it clears the top. So it's important [for me] to have the room for the sight the entire vertical length of the holster. And that would leave plenty of room for the chamber loaded indicator. But since you've managed to break it in okay, I guess there's really no issue.

Post subject: Thanks for GREAT Advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 am 

Thanks to all of you for the tremendous advice...

I'll order a few good belts and have a chat with Srigs about what holsters would best fit my requirements. I think I have a leather fetish. After seeing the pics, I want one of each in different colors :)

I hadn't anticipated the safety issue and risk of AD with moving the gun from holster to holster: +1 on that -- not going to try that.

I'm not sure I can go with "smart carry" mainly for "psychological reasons" given the location of the muzzle. Maybe I'll feel differently after I've carried for awhile. I also can't imagine that much weight being comfortable in that location.

Plblark's statement on guns being "comforting, not comfortable" makes great sense to me and is the primary reason I'm here.

I was concerned that the XDm might not work for carry but I sure did like the gun and after shooting it, I like it even more. But, with only one gun in the "arsenal" for comparison, I'm an easy sell. I'm going to be looking for a used .357 revolver for pocket carry and may then only OWB carry the XDm.

This is a great resource and thanks to all of you for both the info and for making me welcome.

DaddyBooks

Post subject: Re: Thanks for GREAT Advice
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:48 am 
Longtime Regular

daddybooks wrote:
I'm not sure I can go with "smart carry" mainly for "psychological reasons" given the location of the muzzle. Maybe I'll feel differently after I've carried for awhile. I also can't imagine that much weight being comfortable in that location.

I carried a full-sized 9mm in a SmartCarry for more than two years. You should be aware that the muzzle doesn't point at what you think; it sits in front of it and points at the ground.

As a matter of fact, I know that it actually saved me from injury several times in games of "jump on daddy."

Second, the weight is distributed around your whole waist by a three-inch-wide elastic band. It is far more comfortable, in terms of weight, than a belt holster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have been alternating between Smart Carry and an IWB (Comp-Tac C-Tac) depending on the situation. I have been carrying "in earnest" now for about 8 months; before that I carried sporadically in a shoulder holster.

I second that about the muzzle, at least on a full-size (Ruger P89), not pointing at any parts with SmartCarry. I also agree that SmartCarry distributes the weight better, at least compared to my IWB. I sometimes wear it in combination with my other holster just because I don't always bother to take it off when switching, since it is so comfortable when empty. Or if I'm in the mood to carry a couple extra magazines in the SmartCarry.

My pistol is bulky. SmartCarry is much better at concealing in the summertime or under dress clothing than my IWB. There is still a bump from the grip, but as Andrew has mentioned elsewhere, pleated pants/shorts work wonders.

I almost daily transfer the pistol between my automobile lockbox and SmartCarry while in the driver seat. It involves a little contortion, patience, and great care, but it can be done safely. An ample abdomen might make such maneuvers while seated impractical.

For me, SmartCarry is comfortable, but then I don't own any tight jeans and I am of average build.

I'm not saying SmartCarry is for you. I'm just giving a semi-solicited opinion on it. Good luck with your choices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:57 am 
Longtime Regular

Search YouTube for SmartCarry. There's a guy who does a few demonstrations. Swimming trunks, dress clothes, etc... Of course, he's young and not suffering from my eating habits ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:14 am 
Journeyman Member

Not that it will help you at all, but my main mode of carry is with the Smartcarry during work hours (that is until I get Srigs holsters in the mail, which hopefully will be today :D ) -- then again I'm a woman. It is extremely comfortable and the weight is distributed evenly.

The holster is made from very thick cloth with protects the trigger, but caution, as always, must be taken when removing or holstering the gun. I have also worn it under jeans and no one is the wiser. I'm in shape, and my jeans are not baggy on me, and when the Smartcarry is on and a gun in it, no one is the wiser. I should note I always wear a belt with my jeans, which helps take any obvious bulge from the grip away from anyone's wandering eyes -- if that makes sense.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.