Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 newbie here w/conceal single action holster 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

JonnyB wrote:
Guys:

I understand the need for trigger protection on DA revolvers and semi-autos but seriously; this is a single-action revolver.

Pulling the trigger won't do anything. Unless something catches and cocks the hammer, then bumps the trigger, it's safe.

It looks unsafe but, in my opinion, isn't.

We could ask for the trigger to be covered and a strap over the hammer; then it's safe! Oh, yeah, empty chamber under the hammer, too. And yes, I have my sarcasm dial set to "High" for this paragraph.

jb

Yup. Safe as can be...until you accidentally put your DA/SA in that holster. :lol:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've been a guest at SASS (Single Action Shooters Society) meets. SASS members only shoot single action revolvers, pistol caliber lever action rifles, and old time shotgunsat their "Cowboy Action Shooting" events. They are very familiar with SA revolvers, their advantages and their deficiencies.

I haven't seen any holsters there that do not cover the trigger on their SA revolvers. They also do not permit you to load your guns till just before you enter the shooting position. You are watched when you do this and you are not allowed to load the chamber under the hammer. They will verify this with a visual check before you put your gun back in the holster. After you are done shooting your stage, you are watched as you unload your empties. only then can you leave the firing line.

A SA revolver that doesn't have a transfer bar safety but with a cartridge in the chamber under the hammer will likely fire if dropped or if the hammer is struck. For those not familiar with SA revolvers, having an empty chamber under the hammer doesn't affect the immediate readiness of the gun. When you cock the hammer, it will rotate the cylinder and you will have a live round under the hammer.

I am not being critical of or passing judgement on the OP but just setting out information about SA revolvers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:48 pm 

jaysong wrote:
I can't wait to see it. How many have you made so far? By the looks of it you are an old pro. :D

Ok here is my newly revised, hot off the press conceal single action holster. After reading all the posts about SA guns as a carry gun I'm quite surprised at what people have to say! i think it's really great so many of you are so involved here! IMHO i think it's a bit crazy to use a huge single action .357 magnum cowboy gun as a conceal carry but if i ever had to pull it i think the perpetrator would think twice seeing this bad boy staring him in the face! :shock: It's all i got till i get my pip squeak KelTec back :wink: I did think the first holster was a bit shallow in height. I also made the back extend a bit so the hammer wouldnt dig into the side of the person wearing it. Sometimes ya just dont know how things will turn out till you actually make it. At least i got a pattern now that i can continue to improvise if i need too. BTW one of the other reasons i started doing this is because i'm a lefty and finding left handed holsters can be a pain. Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

That one looks good too. 8)

There's several members here that make holsters. I've seen a thread or two about them getting together once in a while for a holster making session.

You may wanna scope that out if you'd like a chance to learn a few tricks of the trade and make some new friends.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

hdgirl1340 wrote:
You got any pics of your holster?

I didn't, but I made some. Here you go:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:00 pm 

That is very nice. I have occasionally carried my Vaquero as well. Not the best option, especially when it comes to quick reloading. I have yet to find a speed loader for mine :lol: I got my holster from Rusty Sherrick. It is his "Dirty Dan's Dangerous Hogleg". (www.c-rusty.com) I have thought it would be nice to have a crossdraw hoster for mine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.