Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 newbie here w/conceal single action holster 
 Post subject: newbie here w/conceal single action holster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:33 pm 

Hello, I'm new to this board. I just made this conceal holster for a ruger vaquero. It does what it is supposed to do and holds the gun nicely for either cross draw or strong side. But i'm not really happy with it. I dont think it's very stylish. Anyone on here ever carry a single action with a conceal holster? any ideas?? Thanks much! I think this is a great forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:54 pm 

Welcome to the forum!

I never have carried a single action revolver... but if someone here has, I am sure they'll share their experiences with you!

Nice lookin' holster. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

I personally would use a holster that covered the trigger. I understand that it is a single action.........

Welcome to the forum! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

The best revolver holster I have is the one that fits my Model 10. This holster is a pancake that has a pair of "ears" which cover the sides of the gun all the way to the hammer spur. This prevents printing and keeps the spur from ripping holes in your clothes. Looks nice, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice lookin' holster! 8)

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd give it a thumbs up. 8)

I know Dillon sells single action holsters in the Blue Press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:15 am 

White Horseradish wrote:
The best revolver holster I have is the one that fits my Model 10. This holster is a pancake that has a pair of "ears" which cover the sides of the gun all the way to the hammer spur. This prevents printing and keeps the spur from ripping holes in your clothes. Looks nice, too.

You got any pics of your holster?

Btw thanks for the kudos hunter and mnglocker! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:16 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
I personally would use a holster that covered the trigger.

Yep. The primary function of a holster is to keep unwanted objects out of the trigger guard.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: newbie here w/conceal single action holster
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:06 am 
The Man

hdgirl1340 wrote:
Hello, I'm new to this board. I just made this conceal holster for a ruger vaquero. It does what it is supposed to do and holds the gun nicely for either cross draw or strong side. But i'm not really happy with it. I dont think it's very stylish. Anyone on here ever carry a single action with a conceal holster? any ideas?? Thanks much! I think this is a great forum!

I'd say it's utterly silly to want a holster for concealment that looks good, except that, well, I like holsters for concealment that look good, too.

I think it's a nice first try at one for this gun, but I really do like to see the trigger guard covered. Maybe something a bit more like the Mernickle holsters? See http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_auth.html ; I think they look good, and some of them are apparently fairly historically authentic, too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:21 pm 

jdege wrote:
jaysong wrote:
I personally would use a holster that covered the trigger.

Yep. The primary function of a holster is to keep unwanted objects out of the trigger guard.

here is an article i found on single action conceal holster.. http://www.gunblast.com/Mernickle.htm i think this is what inspired me. Also my carry gun (keltec pf9) is in for repair! :(
btw i'm making another holster with improvements that i will post when finished if it turns out :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

I can't wait to see it. How many have you made so far? By the looks of it you are an old pro. :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm 

jaysong wrote:
I can't wait to see it. How many have you made so far? By the looks of it you are an old pro. :D

I'm actually really new to making holsters..i've made one for my keltec and one for a old raven .25 ...made a lot of mistakes! I think i started this new addiction (did i say addiction? :lol: ) early last winter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 pm 

Good for you! :D

You're a natural at it, it appears. I know if I started making holsters, they wouldn't look as good!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:57 pm 

Guys:

I understand the need for trigger protection on DA revolvers and semi-autos but seriously; this is a single-action revolver.

Pulling the trigger won't do anything. Unless something catches and cocks the hammer, then bumps the trigger, it's safe.

It looks unsafe but, in my opinion, isn't.

We could ask for the trigger to be covered and a strap over the hammer; then it's safe! Oh, yeah, empty chamber under the hammer, too. And yes, I have my sarcasm dial set to "High" for this paragraph.

jb

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:06 pm 
The Man

JonnyB wrote:
Guys:

I understand the need for trigger protection on DA revolvers and semi-autos but seriously; this is a single-action revolver.

Pulling the trigger won't do anything. Unless something catches and cocks the hammer, then bumps the trigger, it's safe.

It looks unsafe but, in my opinion, isn't.

We could ask for the trigger to be covered and a strap over the hammer; then it's safe! Oh, yeah, empty chamber under the hammer, too. And yes, I have my sarcasm dial set to "High" for this paragraph.

jb
Oh, I agree that an SA revolver carried this way isn't unsafe. (That said, were I to carry an SA revolver, there would be an unloaded chamber under the hammer, unless it had the Ruger transfer-bar or equivalent safety system.)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.