Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Pocket Carry 
 Post subject: Pocket Carry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Would like to get some suggestions on the what and how for pocket carrying a SW 642.

Thank you!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I highly recommend an "Uncle Mike's" pocket holster. They are cheap, about $10, and really work for me. I also have a "Galco" (PH158) leather one and do not like it nearly as well as the "Uncle Mike's".

The "Uncle Mike's" is a semi-rigid fabric material with a rubbery strap material on two sides which sticks to the inside of a blue jean pocket well. It always stays in the pocket when drawn. I almost always use it with jeans. With larger pockets I may use the Galco. The only concern is that it does "print" a very little if you really look, although I have never had anyone notice it. (The butt of the grip prints slightly. I use "boot grips" on my carry J frames.) My wife usually does not know I am carrying when I use it. This is the holster I use 90 % of the time. I use it with both the J-frames I have, 642 & 432 (32 H&R mag).

The Uncle Mike's stiffness will break down slightly with use. It still works but looks sloppy. I buy another one every couple years.

The Galco does "print" a little less than the "Uncle Mike's" but being leather is thicker. I occasionally have had the whole holster come out with the gun when drawn from blue jean pockets. It works better in pants with larger pockets. It does have leather "hooks" on it. You need to practice your draw so you push the holster to the front so that "hook" catches on the front of your jean pocket.

I also use other size 'Uncle Mike's" holsters for my Keltec P32 & P3AT. Same results with those except they do not print at all. I also have a Galco leather for these and again prefer the Uncle Mike's.

As with any pocket holster, only the gun / holster are in that pocket. Keys, money clip, knife and change go in the other pocket. A speedloader goes in another pocket. You need to remove the holster from the pocket, re-holster the gun outside the pocket, and then insert the package into your pocket. Not a problem for carry but is at the range if practicing.

I use this these pocket holsters with no cover garment. Have never had any of my shooting buddies notice or ask what I carrying that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thank you. Mike, would you happen to have one of these?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:38 pm 
Journeyman Member

Hello, Mike

I hear very good things about this guy.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim

Dorian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:26 am 

The DeSantis "Nemesis" holster works well also. I carry an old J-frame with one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:20 am 
The Man

goalie wrote:
The DeSantis "Nemesis" holster works well also. I carry an old J-frame with one.
If it's the gun I'm thinking it is, it's a "classic J-frame." :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:46 pm 

joelr wrote:
goalie wrote:

Yeah, that would be the one. It's about 20 years older than I am. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:16 pm 

Robert Mika, over in Wisconsin, makes a great pocket holster. Best value for the money that I've run across. I use one daily with my 642.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:42 pm 
The Man

CW Spook wrote:
Robert Mika, over in Wisconsin, makes a great pocket holster. Best value for the money that I've run across. I use one daily with my 642.
They certainly look like they would do the job. My own favorites are the Uncle Mike's -- for the price/performance ratio -- and the KD holsters "Pocket Defender" for everything except for the name. (I don't think Kevin, there, was amused by my suggestion that he should change the name to the "Pocket Protector", and include inserts for pencils and pens.)

Pocket holsters have never gotten the press that belt holsters have -- they're just not very macho, and that appears to be a strong problem for the gun magazines. But given the practical and tactical advantages, I think there is a good argument that they should be the default choice for most people, most of the time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:48 pm 
The Man

goalie wrote:
joelr wrote:
goalie wrote:

Yeah, that would be the one. It's about 20 years older than I am. :lol:
Terrific gun. It's got the only external safety system that I'm comfortable with for a revolver; I wish they'd bring it back. Even if they did, though, I'd still be jealous of your acquisition -- even if I didn't know what the price was. Since I do, color me seething green.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:17 am 

joelr wrote:
Terrific gun. It's got the only external safety system that I'm comfortable with for a revolver; I wish they'd bring it back. Even if they did, though, I'd still be jealous of your acquisition -- even if I didn't know what the price was. Since I do, color me seething green.

Since I got it I have been looking out for a partner for it. The model 40's are not that easy to find in in excellent condition unless you want to spend waaaay more than I would like to for a snubbie. :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:03 am 
Journeyman Member

joelr wrote:
CW Spook wrote:
They certainly look like they would do the job. My own favorites are the Uncle Mike's -- for the price/performance ratio -- and the KD holsters "Pocket Defender" for everything except for the name. (I don't think Kevin, there, was amused by my suggestion that he should change the name to the "Pocket Protector", and include inserts for pencils and pens.)

Pocket holsters have never gotten the press that belt holsters have -- they're just not very macho, and that appears to be a strong problem for the gun magazines. But given the practical and tactical advantages, I think there is a good argument that they should be the default choice for most people, most of the time.

Got one of these for a SP 101. Great value, excellent service and it doesn't print in my jeans. Now, if i could only get it back from my daughter...

NRA Life
JFPFO Life
GOA Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 pm 

I think I posted this before...but I have a DeSantis Nemisis and I love it. Very inexpensive and excellent quality.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:59 pm 

I just picked up a DeSantis Nemisis at Cabellas for $15.I am trying it out w/my Kahr p-9[it's a little on the big side for pocket carry but seems to be a good alternative sometimes]I was reading a couple other threads and was wondering if pocket carry would be a good choice for women.I am always on the lookout for reccomendations to make to students.I have not tried pocket carry for any real length of time before,but am seeing it as a real choice[except when I am feeling really macho and need that big .45]jk. Anyone know of women who use this method?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think pocket carry is a great choice for women.. if you can talk them into it. Most that I've suggested it to are concerned about adding anything extra to the shape of their thighs :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.