Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Got my first holster today! 
 Post subject: Got my first holster today!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:13 am 

My Smart Carry holster arrived today. I was quite excited because I just recently passed my carry test, and I need to become comfortable and familiar before I start carrying. I couldn't do that without a holster. I do have an OWB from Kramer coming, but that is still 8 weeks out.

Well, I put it on, according to the instructions, checked my S&W J frame Model 60, 3" to make sure it was unloaded, and I put it the holster. Feels quite comfortable. I walked over to the full-size mirror, and I stared in horror! I'm female and quite thin, so you can use your imagination to exactly what I was looking at! :oops:

I like the way it draws, and it is comfortable even while sitting. It doesn't seem to hang up on anything either.

My question; do you think anyone else will notice?? I have been reading that most people don't even notice if someone is open carrying. Am I being self-conscience?

Thanks!
ndtish

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Got my first holster today!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18 am 
Longtime Regular

pleated pants? slightly off center? "WHY ARE YOU STARING AT MY CROTCH PERVERT!?"

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:21 am 
Longtime Regular

ndtish wrote:
My Smart Carry holster arrived today. I was quite excited because I just recently passed my carry test, and I need to become comfortable and familiar before I start carrying. I couldn't do that without a holster. I do have an OWB from Kramer coming, but that is still 8 weeks out.

Well, I put it on, according to the instructions, checked my S&W J frame Model 60, 3" to make sure it was unloaded, and I put it the holster. Feels quite comfortable. I walked over to the full-size mirror, and I stared in horror! I'm female and quite thin, so you can use your imagination to exactly what I was looking at! :oops:

I like the way it draws, and it is comfortable even while sitting. It doesn't seem to hang up on anything either.

My question; do you think anyone else will notice?? I have been reading that most people don't even notice if someone is open carrying. Am I being self-conscience?

Thanks!
ndtish

ROTFL! Ok, I shouldn't laugh, but I can't stop thinking of that scene in Crocodile Dundee where he was "just making sure".

Honestly, probably not. Most people just aren't that observant. And if I can be a typical guy (apologies in advance), that's not normally where our eyes travel. At least not for a casual glance. It's the truth.

I swear that I could walk around with a howitzer some days and folks would be oblivious.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Paraphrasing someone on here:

I could drive a Tank down the street and no one would bat an eye as long as it was candy apple red and said Camry on it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:32 am 

This thread is useless without pictures.

I have a LCP arriving later this week - smartcarry is an option I'm considering. Until then, have a cheapy pocket holster until srigs finishes the one I ordered from him ;)
B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:35 am 
Longtime Regular

bstrawse wrote:
This thread is useless without pictures.

I have a LCP arriving later this week - smartcarry is an option I'm considering. Until then, have a cheapy pocket holster until srigs finishes the one I ordered from him ;)
B

The LCP definitely spoils me and made me break my ammo limit rule. It's just so small and concealable that it's easier to carry it than leave it at home ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:44 am 

mrokern wrote:
ndtish wrote:

Thanks!
ndtish

ROTFL! Ok, I shouldn't laugh, but I can't stop thinking of that scene in Crocodile Dundee where he was "just making sure".

Honestly, probably not. Most people just aren't that observant. And if I can be a typical guy (apologies in advance), that's not normally where our eyes travel. At least not for a casual glance. It's the truth.

I swear that I could walk around with a howitzer some days and folks would be oblivious.

-Mark

My eyes do travel there! :wink:

nd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:58 am 
Longtime Regular

ndtish wrote:
mrokern wrote:
ndtish wrote:

Thanks!
ndtish

-Mark

My eyes do travel there! :wink:

nd

ROTFLMAO!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

ndtish wrote:

Not many men look 'there' unless a woman is wearing say.........skimpy shorts or bikini/thong bottoms. :wink:

I open carry probably 80% of the time due to it now being summer and I carry a full size 1911A1. I haven't had any issues at any of the places I've entered.

I know of a couple people that have spotted my gun & holster. One guy did happen to see my 1911A1 sitting securely in my holster, not bothering anyone, and asked about the P2C class and how to go about getting his permit. The other time was a lady around 30. She gave me a wink with a nod towards my gun and a 'thumbs up'......accompanied by a 'knowing grin'. :D

I'd say that maybe you're being self-conscious/nervous because you are new to carrying.

Maybe try carrying in small increments....such as a quick run to the store, gas station, etc... until you gain the confidence to carry anywhere that you legally can.

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
ndtish wrote:

Not many men look 'there' unless a woman is wearing say.........skimpy shorts or bikini/thong bottoms. :wink:

Funny how many college-aged women run around showing the latter because the former doesn't cover enough. Ah, summer. :lol:

But Hunter is right. Carry on little jaunts if you want to judge people's reactions. And if somebody thinks you've got extra parts...hey, it might keep an overly lecherous guy from making a move. :shock: :wink:

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

ndtish wrote:

plblark wrote:
pleated pants? slightly off center? "WHY ARE YOU STARING AT MY CROTCH PERVERT!?"

Some things to try:
* Pleated pants or skirt
* looser fitting pants or skirt
* Adjusting the holster higher or lower to blend it with the drape of the garment
* Untucked blouse or shirt to break up the lines
* Eating more donuts! (okay, just kidding about that one)

Not every holster works with every body type, nor with every clothing style. You'll find the right ones for you in time. In the meantime, check out the Cornered Cat. Kathy has a lot of good advice for carry permit holders generally and women in particular: The Cornered Cat: How Do I Hide This Thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:41 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
ndtish wrote:

plblark wrote:

Some things to try:
* Pleated pants or skirt
* looser fitting pants or skirt
* Adjusting the holster higher or lower to blend it with the drape of the garment
* Untucked blouse or shirt to break up the lines
* Eating more donuts! (okay, just kidding about that one)

Not every holster works with every body type, nor with every clothing style. You'll find the right ones for you in time. In the meantime, check out the Cornered Cat. Kathy has a lot of good advice for carry permit holders generally and women in particular: The Cornered Cat: How Do I Hide This Thing?

Fantastic website! I've book marked it for further reference. I also liked the instructions on how to properly draw and placement of my non-dominant hand. I am not permitted to carry at work, so I don't have to worry about replacing my work clothing!

I did take the advice of others and made just a few trips to the store to see if anyone would notice the "man buldge", and no one noticed! Even after telling my husband about the problem, he didn't even notice I had been carrying around the house for 3 days. And he definatly would have commented!

I am still carrying unloaded. It's only been a few days since I got the holster and my permit, and I'm still waiting to see if there are any hang-ups. I am practicing my draw in front of my full-size mirror, and so far when I draw, I'm not pointing foward. I tend to bend my writst to the left. More muscle memory training!

Thank you again!

nd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:08 am 
Longtime Regular

A possible suggestion, somewhat cribbed from cornered cat:

Hang a full length mirror off the end of a bookshelf you can face the long way. I know, the gun is empty, right ... but see rules 1 and 4 ... Always loaded and back stop ... Worst case, pointed lengthwise down shelf of boks, if the worst case accident happens it should stop the bullet.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.