Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Kel Tec P3At pocket holster recomendation 
 Post subject: Re: Kel Tec P3At pocket holster recomendation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

I made my own following directions from either KTOG or Kel-tec Range. Can't remember which. Works okay, but the rough side of the leather has smoothed some.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:40 pm 
Journeyman Member

tman065 wrote:
I made my own following directions from either KTOG or Kel-tec Range. Can't remember which. Works okay, but the rough side of the leather has smoothed some.

I seem to recall a trick I picked up somewhere that may refurbish the 'rough grip' for you.
Take a brass bristled brush you might use for cleaning and work it over a bit. It raises the nap a bit and improves "pocket grippage"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I would never holster my P3AT. I do not want to mar that fine finish.

:lol:

(PS: I did purchase one of those square ugly things made up of some sort of leather and cardboard derivatives from Bills. I gave it away within days. I needed a wooden mallet to force the pistol in. Once in the "holder" it became unmanageable for me and something a bit less than elegant. Metaphorically speaking, it was like drinking a martini from an ashtray.)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:05 pm 

Srigs wrote:
I could make you one with my Rough Out as a base and your ideas on what your looking for.

I just got two Rough Outs from Srigs today. I'd highly recommend it! It looks great, is very sturdy, and stays in my pocket well.

Attachment:
DSC02426.JPG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:24 pm 

The Galco Pocket Protector is a good choice. I use one with my Ruger LCP. The same size also fits the Kel Tec P3At.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

wheatstraw wrote:
Srigs wrote:
I could make you one with my Rough Out as a base and your ideas on what your looking for.

I just got two Rough Outs from Srigs today. I'd highly recommend it! It looks great, is very sturdy, and stays in my pocket well.

Attachment:
DSC02426.JPG

Those look really nice!

I carry mine in the rear pocket of my jeans so a squared off version about the size of a wallet would work great. Most of the ones I've seen also have a flap on the side that faces out to break up the "gun" outline, although after I wear it awhile even the leather conforms to the gun. Not a big deal in MN.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:59 pm 

I believe that the P3AT is an excellent choice for carry. I have two holsters for mine. Here are generic pics from the manufacturers.

The first one I got was a Galco holster, which are in stock at area gun stores. There is a more expensive horsehide version that you probably want to avoid as there is little benefit to it. Mine is the ordinary leather version:

The problem with the Galco, for me, is that the spring and the extra layer of leather around the top, designed for ease of reholstering, added excessively to the overall width, almost 1/4" or so. This interfered with concealment. I do not feel that tactical reholstering is a consideration when selecting a carry holster.

Another consideration with the Galco holster is that one must cultivate a style of draw that causes the holster to catch on the lip of the pocket as it grips the pistol tightly enough that they will come out together otherwise.

Then I got a Mika holster, which took some time to arrive:

Initially, I was concerned about the gun staying in the holster, but this has not been a problem even though the fit is fairly loose. I've been extremely pleased with this holster. I keep the pistol in a front jeans pocket. I find that it breaks up the outline of the pistol quite well, and it does not add much thickness.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.