Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Any hobby holster makers out there? 
 Post subject: Any hobby holster makers out there?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:48 am 

Where would I get all the tools and leather needed to make a holster? I hate waiting for holsters that I ordered and I would like to learn how to do it myself for fun. Home made holsters would make neat gifts for the gun lovers in my family!

Does anybody know of any resources(web, books, magazines...etc) where I could see the steps and all the other stuff that is related to the art of holster making?

hmmm "The Art of Holster Making" sounds like a book already. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:58 am 

I haven't found much in the line of holster making books specifically, but I have a fair collection of leatherworking books. I have found some resources on the web for walkthroughs and discussions on holstermaking, but very little in the way of patterns (unless you are looking for cowboy action style holsters).

As for tools, I have bought the majority of my tools from Tandy leather, in Bloomington, and some tools at Greys leatherworking on Nicolett and 35th(?) St.

Both stores have hides for sale, and Tandy has bits bags for playing with carving and tooling. Otherwise there are several websites that sell hides as well, but I'm at work, and the bookmarks are at home, so I could post them later if your interested.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."
-- (Terry Pratchett, Night Watch)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:13 am 
Longtime Regular

Addall.com came up with this holster making book.

http://www.addall.com/New/compare.cgi?dispCurr=USD&id=178144&isbn=1892214989&location=10000&thetime=20061220091232&author=&title=&state=AK

Have fun :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:22 am 

Jeff Boucher-Zamzo wrote:
I haven't found much in the line of holster making books specifically, but I have a fair collection of leatherworking books. I have found some resources on the web for walkthroughs and discussions on holstermaking, but very little in the way of patterns (unless you are looking for cowboy action style holsters).

As for tools, I have bought the majority of my tools from Tandy leather, in Bloomington, and some tools at Greys leatherworking on Nicolett and 35th(?) St.

Both stores have hides for sale, and Tandy has bits bags for playing with carving and tooling. Otherwise there are several websites that sell hides as well, but I'm at work, and the bookmarks are at home, so I could post them later if your interested.

Very interested... I am excited to make my own. What does some of the tools cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:24 am 

Published 1953. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:42 am 
Longtime Regular

brauchma wrote:

Hey, that was the only one....... :? :?

I don't expect leather work has changed much in the last 100 years, never mind the last 50. :lol: :lol: :lol:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:49 am 

Selurcspi wrote:
brauchma wrote:

I don't expect leather work has changed much in the last 100 years, never mind the last 50. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have looked through that "book" it's available at Tandy; it's probably a gem, if your intending to make cowboy action revolver holsters.

"Don't put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions. People die, and nothing changes."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:50 am 

Selurcspi wrote:
brauchma wrote:

I have looked through that "book" it's available at Tandy; it's probably a gem, if your intending to make cowboy action revolver holsters.

I don't intend to..yet. Just IWB and OWB holsters... for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:17 pm 

brauchma wrote:

Very interested... I am excited to make my own. What does some of the tools cost?

This would really depend on what quality of tools you are looking at buying, and if you intend on decorating your holsters at all.

Your going to need something to cut leather, something to stitch with, depending on how you are doing stitching you will need something to punch holes. Your going to possibly need an Oval drive punch if your intending on doing OWB holsters (or you will need to cut the belt holes by hand...which isn't pretty). Depending on how you are going to decorate the holster you will need Stamps, and a mallet (and possibly a stamping surface), a grommet/rivet setter tool, dye (and swabs) and finishes.

If your investing in lower end tools, and do not intend on doing any tooling (stamps, or swivel knife) you could get away with $30-50 in tools.

Then you will need to buy 8-10oz leather, and that will range quite a bit, if you buy a hide you can expect to pay about $70-100 (15-20 ft), buying less (say a tooling belly or single shoulder), would be less cost beneficial, but would lower the cost somewhat.

Anyhow, it comes down to what you are looking to make. It will cost a bit either way, I have spent way too much on tools, and I don't have any sort of spectacular selection; but I also do other leatherworking projects, so some of the tools I have wouldn't be needed for holster making. I really wish I had something like a leather sewing machine, but those are around $1,000.

I think that's right...

http://www.tandyleather.com/index.asp (for pricing ideas)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:39 pm 
Raving Moderate

Jeff's got it pretty much said. I, too, have spent WAY too much on tools, but then again I enjoy doing tooling/carving/etc. on my projects.

I would suggest a trip down to Tandy in Bloomington, and talking to the staff. They're generally pretty knowledgeable, and friendly.

As far as the book, yes, it's primarily on Western holsters. That said, there's good info to be had there. Also check out "The Art of Making Leather Cases", a 3-volume series by the same author. Vol. 1 in particular has several projects of interest to shooters, and details on molding leather (which is what I used in making my holster).

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

I had a nice visit to Tandy getting my leather supplies a year and a half ago: http://andrew-rothman.livejournal.com/5137.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

This made me find my dad's wood working tools. They will work great with leather. Now I just need some leather, threading awl and regular awl. :)

I may need to swing by Tandys to pick up the leather, threading awl and thread. :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:57 am 

There's a video titled, "Holsters & Knife Sheaths," by Dusty Johnson that's available through Hide Crafter Leather Company in Fort Worth, TX. Their number is 888-263-5277. The video provides some good instruction on the basic construction and design of the holster. Also included is a variety of patterns, cowboy and modern. This was one of the very first I watched and I still use some of the techiques shown on the video in the making of my holsters today.

The cost of a sewing machine can be very pricey. An adequate machine with which to make holsters is going to run you approximately $800-$1000, and it goes up from there. I have three machines and the average cost was $2k for each. The machines that Lou Alessi, Matt Del Fatti, etc., use run in the neighborhood of $6k-$7k. :shock:

That being said, the majority of the folks who work at the Tandy Leather Factory stores are very knowledgeable and can steer you in the right direction for tools needed to make a holster. There are some tools that most of us probably already have, such as a dremel, utility razor knife, that you can use in the making of the holsters.

I'd recommend choosing a double shoulder for the leather needed to make the holster. (You do not want to use a "belly" as it has no structure/stiffness.) The shoulder and back area of the hide is the most dense/firm section of a hide. By using from that area you have greater durability of the holster, both now and long-term.

Good luck in the making of the holster(s). Feel free to contact me at any time if you have questions.

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:24 am 

K-Man wrote:
There's a video titled, "Holsters & Knife Sheaths," by Dusty Johnson that's available through Hide Crafter Leather Company in Fort Worth, TX. Their number is 888-263-5277. The video provides some good instruction on the basic construction and design of the holster. Also included is a variety of patterns, cowboy and modern. This was one of the very first I watched and I still use some of the techiques shown on the video in the making of my holsters today.

The cost of a sewing machine can be very pricey. An adequate machine with which to make holsters is going to run you approximately $800-$1000, and it goes up from there. I have three machines and the average cost was $2k for each. The machines that Lou Alessi, Matt Del Fatti, etc., use run in the neighborhood of $6k-$7k. :shock:

That being said, the majority of the folks who work at the Tandy Leather Factory stores are very knowledgeable and can steer you in the right direction for tools needed to make a holster. There are some tools that most of us probably already have, such as a dremel, utility razor knife, that you can use in the making of the holsters.

I'd recommend choosing a double shoulder for the leather needed to make the holster. (You do not want to use a "belly" as it has no structure/stiffness.) The shoulder and back area of the hide is the most dense/firm section of a hide. By using from that area you have greater durability of the holster, both now and long-term.

Good luck in the making of the holster(s). Feel free to contact me at any time if you have questions.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. I may have to look into that video! I could see this turning into an expensive hobby that my wife may not like! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:30 am 

I have been making my own holsters for years now. I have made everything from shoulder holsters to cowboy action. For carry I prefer a high rise pancake style with a forward tilt. I'm currently working on a new design for a crossdraw holster.
For me the hardest part is making the pattern, you can find patterns for cowboy holsters but nothing for carry style holsters. I make my patterns out of heavy construction paper so I can re-use them. The trick is making the pattern big enough to allow for the thickness of the leather but not to big so the gun is loose. You can't just wrap the paper around the handgun and draw your pattern because the holster will end up to tight. Nothing is more frustrating than spending 10-12 hours on a new holster for your .45 only to find out when you done it only fits your wife's .380. I have several holsters that are too small hanging on my workbench that serve as reminders to be carefull.
As K-man mentioned there are different parts of the hide that work better than others. Unless you buy the whole hide its hard for the average person to tell what part of the hide a piece is from. If you buy a smaller piece from Tandy make sure you ask. There is also different tanning processes. I prefer vegetable tanned leather. Live oak or Herman oak works nice and oils up a nice golden color.
Unless your planning on making production holsters you can't beat hand stitching. If done properly it looks great and will last for years.
Anyway - I could go on and on, If anybody is interested I would be more than happy to bring some of my holsters to the next NEW THING meeting. Or we could have a HOLSTER MEETING. I am curious what other members use for carry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.