Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Holster Recommendation 
 Post subject: Holster Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:38 am 

I am looking to buy my first IWB holster and am overwhelmed by what is out there. Is there a difference in comfort and/or concealability between the basic clip style ( http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=2703&CatalogID=7 ) , the single strap (http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=3680&d= )or more like a pancake holster? (http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/16.htm )
Sorry for the links, but I am not sure how to post pictures.

Also, I will most likely buy a small safe (8"x12"x4") for my vehicle from the office supply store, is there a place to buy the thick soft foam to protect my pieces from moving around?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

The difference between Clip, single loop, and double loop will show up incomfort, shifting of the gun, and concealability. HAaving the clip or loop between the gun and the belt adds some bulk and may show a bit more bulge. The double or single loop / clips that are offset from the gun eliminate this.

The type of clip also makes a big difference in shifting. Tucker uses CompTac clips which are the best I've seen for rock solid positioning. That tuckable clip you showed has little contact with the belt and may shift.

In reality though, it's a matter of matching the gun to the holster to your method of carry and your wardrobe. A big 1911 in a single point J-Hook IWB will likely shift. A small J-frame may not...

Personally, I'm fond of either the standard over the belt clip or the Velcro Clip that several companies offer. You basically sew or glue a velcro clip inside your belt and the holster clips go over the pants, under the belt and the velcro / belt takes the weight. nearly invisible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:38 am 

I'm in the same boat. Right now I've got my J frame in a crappy Uncle Mike's pocket holster in my coat pocket. I can't wait for my holster for my Sig 239 to show up.

I was also trying to figure out what to do for an IWB. I wound up buying one from this guy:

http://www.ubgholsters.com/

He has gotten good reviews on other forums, and his price and turn around can't be beat. $45 for the holster and $50 for the belt. He said it should take about two weeks so another week or so and I should have it.

My thought was that for $45 I could try it and hopefully I'll like that style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:21 am 
The Man

My new IWB holster for the fullsized Springfield XD .45 just came in from Kevin this last week. It feels comfortable, initially, but I've only worn it for a few minutes -- I'll have more to say after this weekend, I think.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:29 am 
Longtime Regular

I have found my CrossBreed IWB to be pretty comfortable while carrying my XD 45 Tac. Conceals well and holds the grip tight to my torso.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:53 am 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
I have found my CrossBreed IWB to be pretty comfortable while carrying my XD 45 Tac. Conceals well and holds the grip tight to my torso.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

I love the crossbreed for my P7, it holds it close and is comfortable all day long.
:D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:04 pm 

I have heard that the kydex holsters are hard on the gun finish, is this an urban legend?
I will be packing a 4" xd9

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

johnica wrote:
I have heard that the kydex holsters are hard on the gun finish, is this an urban legend?
Depends whether you have the new melonite finish on your XD or not.

Holster wear on a gun is a badge of honor. Like a good scar on your body. It's also almost unavoidable no matter what kind of holster you use.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

johnica wrote:

My XD 5" 45ACP in the Black finish, shows no wear at all so far. That is with quite consistent carry with the CrossBreed IWB, the original XD belt holster and a Blackhawk CQC.
AND a LOT of dry-fire holster practice with the CQC. It took some time to make depressing the release button second nature. Now the finger falls in place and even surprises me that it rests directly on the release button without any conscious thought.

So from my experience with three holsters and one gun I would say that Kydex does not harm my guns finish.

PS. For what it's worth I have heard the same about leather. That it will trap and hold grit and dust in the leather and the grit will scratch the finish. I haven't experienced that either. But then I keep the guns and holsters clean.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm partial to Highnoon Holsters in IWB. They use a metal C clip that holds very well and very thin leather. I like the look of Crossbreed Holsters also.

I use a Mr Softy, Bare Assets and Split Decision.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've been using a Comp-Tac C-T.A.C. with my 1911s for a couple years now. I've been very happy with it. it has the belt clips fore & aft of the holster. The advantage of this is they don't add to the thickness, and the distance between them makes the holster very stable. The disadvantage is it's a little more work to put on and take off. It's about $75.

Before that for a year or two I used a Blade-Tech "Universal Fits All" model (which just means open mouth so length doesn't matter; it comes in models specific to model of gun). It was not a bad holster for $40, but I went to the Comp-Tac, partly because I wanted one that was 'tuckable'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:18 pm 

I've tried many, many different IWB, OWB holsters and it wasn't until I made the switch to a 1911 and a Milt Sparks Versa Max II that I knew I had finally found the right combination. The dual-snaps are held off the main holster, away from the gun itself thus making the package slimmer. They also make for easy-on/easy-off. The opening is metal reinforced, so it won't collapse on you when you take the gun out. This adds a wee bit to the thickness, but IMO is well worth it. Their Watch Six model does not have the reinforcement if you chose to go that route.

A good belt is equally important to your carry rig. I use a Wilderness Instructors belt for everyday (and competion/USPSA) use and love it. I wore one for 7 years before I had to send it in to get new velcro sewed on.

I've been able to carry literally all day long (16 hours) with this setup and many times almost forget that its even there, its so comfortable.

Despite all of this advice, ultimately its just your body type and holster/belt combination that works the best and sometimes that takes a bit of experimenting. Best of luck.

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Last edited by mpthole on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:06 pm 
The Man

joelr wrote:
My new IWB holster for the fullsized Springfield XD .45 just came in from Kevin this last week. It feels comfortable, initially, but I've only worn it for a few minutes -- I'll have more to say after this weekend, I think.
Well, wore it this weekend, and like it a lot -- solid, stable (better even than the SERPA, in large part because the belt compresses it into place).
Strongly recommended.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
joelr wrote:
Well, wore it this weekend, and like it a lot -- solid, stable (better even than the SERPA, in large part because the belt compresses it into place).
Strongly recommended.

How well does it stay open after the gun is drawn? I have a cheaper single layer leather IWB that basically collapses when the gun is drawn. My Crossbreed with the Kydex stays open quite well. I like the looks of that Kdholster and it has a double layer of leather.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:46 pm 
The Man

KonaSeven wrote:

How well does it stay open after the gun is drawn?
In my experience, so far: utterly perfectly.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.