Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 SOB holsters 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:49 pm 

hammAR wrote:
Dood: Don't ever apologize for having a 1911!

You have to remember that all of these little pop, sorry, pocket guns that they talk about is purely due to under-education or outright jealousy.................. :wink:

LOL! :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Here's your worms
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:52 pm 

This wasn't caused by falling directly on a gun in SOB position, but it WAS caused by nothing more than falling down while cross country skiing, which means that my back wasn't even exposed to a direct impact at the scar site.

The impact, which wasn't much at the time, blew out my L5-L6 disc, and I started having right leg pain a few weeks later. It got worse and worse until I got to the WALL, which is having repeated muscle contractions that quickly send you into a full Grand Mal seizure where you wind up screaming and uncontrollably twitching until you receive a knockout dose of fenatyl or demerol.

For a lumbar decomp procedure, they open up a hole in your back wide enough and deep enough to drop a beer can into the hole until the TOP of the can is level with your skin. You are administered 25 cc of fenatyl during the closing of that humongous hole, and when you wake up it STILL feels like a semi drove across your back.

IF you get one of the best back surgeons in the state, you will have a chance like I did to actually recover and lead a normal life. A lot of people get hacks for doctors and never recover fully, and spend the rest of their life trying to juggle vicodin with their family life and reality, and the vicodin ALWAYS wins.

In addition, you CANNOT go with your wife to a restaurant OR a movie or ANY other sit down function with SOB carry, and SOB carry has one other unique advantage. If you're printing and the gun is sticking out EVERYBODY but YOU can see it, and/or grab it off you without you seeing it coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll just leave you with this thought: You are far more likely to fall on your ass on a slippery sidewalk than to use a gun for self defense in public.

If you're willing to take the precaution of carrying, the precaution of not having a hunk of steel on your spine is a no-brainer.

How `bout just adding a new holster, and switch before you leave work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:01 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I'll just leave you with this thought: You are far more likely to fall on your ass on a slippery sidewalk than to use a gun for self defense in public.

If you're willing to take the precaution of carrying, the precaution of not having a hunk of steel on your spine is a no-brainer.

How `bout just adding a new holster, and switch before you leave work?

If I could find a holster that didn't show, I would be more than happy to. I'm a pretty "warm" person. Wearing 2 shirts (t-shirt and overshirt) can be to warm for me already, to add, lets say a flannel to cover the weapon would result in me leaving it at home.

The problem I have is that front to back I'm not very thick. My hips are almost pointy. So at the 3 o'clock position the gun sits at a funny angle, so the butt sticks out. If I wear it at the 4 o'clock position it's now hitting my butt cheek, and digging into my love handle. I've already figured out that I have a wierd "body make up." (I can't touch my thumb to my pinky is one)

I've already got a few holsters in the uncomfortable box. Which I was fully warned about during my Class.

Maybe I'm just being to picky. I know it's there and can easily see it in a mirror. The rest of the public maybe wouldn't see it. I hope to meet a few of you folks soon, and maybe get some advise in person on this situation.

I do apprecaite the concern, Thank you.
JP

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:41 pm 

DieselDood,
It sounds like you are using the best possible mode of carry right now. Stick with it. If it keeps you carrying then use SOB. Don't try and carry it any other way if you will end up leaving the gun at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:46 pm 

1911fan wrote:
Besides urban legends, does anyone have any factual data on someone being hurt by falling this way?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! +++1
I've ALWAYS been meaning to ask that. We shall commence waiting for data... :shock:

Wow. Just noticed this is a REAL old thread. Oh, well. At least I got to say my peace! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:41 pm 

Taggart....if you look around the same time someone did a poll here and asked about falling on ice, etc.

I still carry SOB primarily, but have been carrying strong side lately because I broke another holster clip.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:35 am 

DieselDood wrote:
Taggart....if you look around the same time someone did a poll here and asked about falling on ice, etc.

I still carry SOB primarily, but have been carrying strong side lately because I broke another holster clip.

Yeah, I think the last time I fell on my a** was when I was on the skating rink when I was in grade school! :lol:
As you know (probably where you are, too) it gets very icy. But I think most folks are careful enough. I'm not saying it COULDN'T happen, but I don't think ANYONE has been parylized by a fall while carrying SOB. So there! :D
I'll have to look around for that poll you were talking about. I appreciate the info! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.