Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 SOB holsters 
 Post subject: SOB holsters
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:09 pm 

Ok...now I know this will probably open a can of worms. As alot of people don't like SOB carry. I carry a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded Champion .45.

I carry Small Of the Back, Inside the Wasteband.
For me it works the best. I carry while at work. Since I work as an Auto Mechanic and I'm in and out of all my pockets, leaning, etc etc etc ALL day long, I needed something that was easy to conceal and would not be getting in the way.

The holster I have works well, but due to my hands being fairly large I need to draw and reposition my hand slightly. It has the barrel of the weapon following my back, and the butt would face towards my strong side. This gives me a palm out retreval.

I have tried the FBI cant where the butt of the gun faces up and is diagnal across your back. I don't know how you guys do it, but my arm will not naturally reach that way to properly grip the weapon.

While I was waiting for the holster I have now, I had an Uncle Mikes holster that worked OK, but the thumb break was the wrong way and the belt clip would occasionally not hold onto the belt. That holster I could grip the weapon properly, but alas it was an Uncle Mikes and in 6 months it was worn out. I could see a good leather holster, made for the gun, with a good thumb break and a good belt clip, in this fashion to work well for me.

Anyway...sorry for the long post....
Do any of you have any advise for me?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: SOB holsters
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:33 pm 
The Man

DieselDood wrote:

1. Never fall on your back.
2. Have very good medical insurance.

:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
1. Never fall on your back.....:shock:

Don't plan on shooting IDPA with that rig....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:57 pm 

joelr wrote:
DieselDood wrote:

lol....I knew I shouldn't have even bothered asking. :roll:

I know what can happen should I fall on it.

Spend a day in the my shoes doing my job and let me know what a good carry set up is. :bang:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:58 pm 

hammAR wrote:
joelr wrote:
1. Never fall on your back.....:shock:

Don't plan on shooting IDPA with that rig....

Should I decide to shoot IDPA, I'd be using what was legal for that game so to speak. I'm not going to show up to a football game with Softball equipment...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dood:......
we are just having a little fun, it gets awful boring at work all day.... :wink:

Anyhow, I can not give you any holster advise,
as I do not now nor do I intend to carry SOB.

Sorry............I have nothing but respect for people that work for a living and especially ones that carry a 1911A1............... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:15 pm 

hammAR wrote:
Dood:......
we are just having a little fun, it gets awful boring at work all day.... :wink:

Anyhow, I can not give you any holster advise,
as I do not now nor do I intend to carry SOB.

Sorry............I have nothing but respect for people that work for a living and especially ones that carry a 1911A1............... :lol:

I understand. I knew I would have a good portion of people saying similar things, I know SOB probably isnt' the best way to carry. That's why it's so hard to find holsters for. But...under the circimstances, it seems to work the best for me. I'm not a huge guy, with a 32inch waist, and...as of yet...my metabolism has been good to me. (Lord knows I coudlnt' change how much I eat... :lol: ) So carrying the only pistol I could/can afford at the time, is my options. Yes I'm looking into getting a smaller pistol when I can.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't know if it is best or not, but I was impressed with the pair of cannons (1911's) that Castor Troy SOB'd in Face Off...........

now that was a pair to draw to..... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

A lot of holster makers refuse to make SOB holsters ... for reasons cited.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:29 pm 

joelr wrote:

off topic I guess, but your post reminded me of it.

I fell out of a 16 foot deer stand backwards with a 10 gauge browning BPS strapped on my back. I got to the top step and the nails pulled out. It was all slow motion after that. All I had was the air knocked out of me. The first thing I did after getting of my back was to site the barrel and make sure it was straight. I was wheezing and gasping for air but it was straight! 280 pounds from 16 feet is a load!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm 

I suppose it’s possible to draw a gun with the right hand from a left hand holster without sweeping your body, but I can’t think of an efficient way to do it. All depends on your priorities I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think you're describing a cavalry draw SOB which is into the double not recommended zone. But to each his own and each of us has to adapt our carry method to our circumstances.

The cavalry draw (palm out presentation) can lead to some lasering / muzzling of your legs and in a high adrenaline situation that could be really bad. Be aware, be ever cautious.

good luck finding what you're looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:26 am 

plblark wrote:
I think you're describing a cavalry draw SOB which is into the double not recommended zone. But to each his own and each of us has to adapt our carry method to our circumstances.

The cavalry draw (palm out presentation) can lead to some lasering / muzzling of your legs and in a high adrenaline situation that could be really bad. Be aware, be ever cautious.

good luck finding what you're looking for.

I have thought about this, and I don't see how it is much different than a 4 O'clock position carry. The difference being, as I draw my arm must turn away from my body, keeping the muzzle away from any thing I don't want to destroy. As I come around at about the 3 O'clock position my thumb is tripping the safety. Granted, it is another 3 postions on the clock and probably half a second slower than a side carry should I need to draw.

OK, I realize that 90% of people out there are against SOB carry...In my situation what would you use?

Think of it this way, with my job as a mechanic, in the summer with just a button down overshirt, how would you carry? Keeping in mind that I do alot of work overhead, and alot of in and out of vehicles. I'm also leaning twisting, contorting, and everything else you can think of.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:37 am 

DieselDood wrote:
Think of it this way, with my job as a mechanic, in the summer with just a button down overshirt, how would you carry? Keeping in mind that I do alot of work overhead, and alot of in and out of vehicles. I'm also leaning twisting, contorting, and everything else you can think of.

Would an ankle holster work in this scenario? You'd need a smaller weapon (what.... buy MORE guns you say?), but it might be an option.

Of course if you wear shorts at work, you're pretty much hosed. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:38 am 
On time out

I keep hearing how bad this is, yet for years it was the standard of several PD's to carry this way off duty or undercover. I remember seeing several cops in illinois carrying this way when i was young. I also have a holster that is more or less oriented the same way for carrying a SBH when carrying a backpack.

Besides urban legends, does anyone have any factual data on someone being hurt by falling this way?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.