Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 SOB holsters 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:17 am 
1911 tainted

1911fan wrote:
I keep hearing how bad this is, yet for years
it was the standard of several PD's to carry this way off duty or undercover.

I think the key here is, it was. Same as lead round nose bullets were the standard, but they learned that both may not have been a good idea.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

If this is the best carry option for you,I say go for it. We haven't heard from all the folks on here that use a smartcarry. Personally if I accidentally shoot myself I rather it be in my butt than---- you paint the picture. I'm not sure why folks think you are any more likely to pull the trigger coming out of a sob than a shoulder holster or for that matter any holster.
Maybe the top drawer of your roller cabinet is a better option while working :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:14 pm 
1911 tainted

MNBud wrote:
I'm not sure why folks think you are any more likely to pull the trigger coming out of a sob than a shoulder holster or for that matter any holster.
:wink:

It's not about you keeping your finger off the trigger, it is about a couple pounds of steel on your spine and falling on it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:04 am 

MNBud wrote:
Maybe the top drawer of your roller cabinet is a better option while working :wink:

I have done this before...and part of the problem with that is...I have co-workers that borrow tools. While I have a very large tool box, they don't know where everything is....so...the start opening drawers. I can only immagine the look on the Boss's Son (23 years old) face when he opened THAT drawer.

The other problem is...I get thinking about the end of the day...and well there are people around...and it's tough to get it back into it's proper location without being seen. SO...I have had to leave it locked in my toolbox at work.

Ankle would be ok, but in the summer I'm wearing shorts. By then I'm hoping to get something that I can carry in my pocket. We will have to see how finances really are when that time comes......

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:17 am 

just 2 cents worth here, I have a buddy who has carried this way from his collage days after the Korean war, he has never had any problem, he is a gunsmith and like you, works with tools all day long and has people in and out of his shop. He likes this way of carry and it works for him, as he says...."I am an old fart and I will do what works". He will not ever talk about it, it just works for him. When he is out of the shop he carries a number of differnt ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:05 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I hear a lot about SOB carry - "man if you fall on that thing - you are going to get hurt... "

YES you will - you fall on a gun that is on your side - you are going to get hurt...

You fall with a gun in a shoulder holster - you may break your ribs...

If it works do it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
I hear a lot about SOB carry - "man if you fall on that thing - you are going to get hurt... "

YES you will - you fall on a gun that is on your side - you are going to get hurt...

If it works do it...

Apart from a few of us skiers. how many of us have fallen over for any reason, in, say the last five years?
I cannot think of a single time when not on skis.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:42 am 

Selurcspi wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

If it works do it...

Apart from a few of us skiers. how many of us have fallen over for any reason, in, say the last five years?

I think SOB is more about spinal cord injury

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:

You'd be surprised. I had a nice spill a couple of years ago slipping on an ice patch covered by snow after getting out of my car. That one killed my cell phone.

Pinnacle, knowing the current state of medicine, I would take broken ribs over spinal injury any day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:14 pm 
On time out

regarding storing it in your roll around. When i worked in a shop, we never carried wallets etc as we were crawling all over the insides of equipment we were making and everyone had a locking little drawer that was on the side of the cabinet. wallets, keys, etc all got locked in there during the day. Only way to make sure that that stuff was there at the end of the d ay, ask your tool rep about looking personal stuff up.

Even with most SOB carry, I still do not see it as causing any more injuries in a work place, I think that you a re morelikely to fall and land with your back on a jack or a air wrench than land on your own gun. As I asked: DOes anyone know anyone who has been hurt from this form of carry. or is it just urban myth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Does anyone know anyone who has been hurt from this form of carry. or is it just urban myth?

I suppose that if it had actually happened that we would know about it, as it would make a great product liability suit for some greedy attorney. :roll:

"So Mr. Gun Manufacturer, exactly why was your product not labeled correctly to warn my client of this potential danger? Why did you not consider manufacturing a safer gun, you know collapsible and flexible like nerf toys?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:00 pm 

I carried SOB for almost a year with my first sidearm, a Beretta 92. Never had a problem, although I also never fell directly on my back. As you noted, it is easy to conceal, making it a convenient method of carry when you know you will be bending over and around a lot.

For the past (almost-) year I've carried a Sig, OWB at 4 o'clock. Not quite as easy to conceal, but easy enough -- a simple long shirt, hung loosely over a t-shirt, is generally sufficient. When weather permits, a jacket works as well.

If I started carrying the Beretta again, I would use the SOB holster without any fears.

But if you really want to change your method of carry... If budget allows, could you get a small pistol and pocket-carry?

TK

-Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 pm 

thurianknight wrote:
But if you really want to change your method of carry... If budget allows, could you get a small pistol and pocket-carry?

May I recommend a S&W 340pd in a Mika Pocket Holster? Looks like a wallet and easy to get to if you need it. I love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:04 pm 

brauchma wrote:
thurianknight wrote:

May I recommend a S&W 340pd in a Mika Pocket Holster? Looks like a wallet and easy to get to if you need it. I love it!

Something like this will be down the line...but with my budget like it is...I have other priorities.

That 1911 I purchased, I felt, was the best all around pistol for my needs. Carry, practice, and maybe if time and money allow...someday some sort of competition. I wanted something that was going to last as long as I am (I'm 28). I didn't want to purchase something that, in a couple years may give me some problems. Being a mechanic, I liked the simplicity of the 1911...Heck My first FULL tear down (pins, parts and the frame left) only took me about an hour start to finish and back to shooting.

Now my next pistol may be a bit more practical for Carry, something like what you suggested, a Kahr, Kel-tech or the like.

That will broaden my options of carry quite a bit. Till then, while limited a bit, I'm looking for options.

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm sure as I meet and chat with more of you, more things will come to light.

I'm also sorry if I came off a bit Crass in my first response. I knew I was opening a can of worms, and really wasn't expecting that kind of a response right away.

DD

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dood: Don't ever apologize for having a 1911!

You have to remember that all of these little pop, sorry, pocket guns that they talk about is purely due to under-education or outright jealousy.................. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.