Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Breaking in a holster 
 Post subject: Breaking in a holster
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

A few days ago I got a Sig 226 9mm and a Bianchi Carry-lok holster.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Pro ... ModelID=82

I dropped the Sig into the holster and had to yank on it pretty hard to get it out. After serveral attempts at getting it out of the holster I did a little google search and came up with some threads that talked about breaking in a holster.

What I did is took a thin plastic bag and wraped it around the pistol, then shoved it in the holster (after oiling it well). Then strap it onto my belt. Wait several hours. Again with much effort pull the pistol out, wrap the bag around it a few more times, shove it back in the holster. The idea is to slowly building up the amount of plastic bag around the pistol and thus streach the holster. This appeared to work the best and was easy to adjust up how much the material was wrapped around the gun. At night I wrapped as much plastic around the pistol as much as I could and just let it sit.

Wearing the holster is important because at one point I could remove the pistol from the holster when it was not on my belt with ease, but if it was on my belt there was no hope of drawing it. During this process little chunks of leather were shaved off on some of the sharper parts of the Sig.

It has been about 3-4 days of playing with it, and I can now draw from the holster 9 out of 10 times without it getting hung up on any of the leather. A few more days and it should be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:38 am 
Longtime Regular

A couple other places I've heard holster makers recommend waxed paper instead of the plastic bag trick. Keep adding layers and leaving it in overnight.

You might consider a stop at combatcarry.com and ask Gary Brommeland or one of the other makers there ... or search for it. IIRC it has been mentioned several times there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.