Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 plblark holsters 
 Post subject: plblark holsters
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:30 am 
Longtime Regular

While none of them is completely finished, they're all formed and stitched.

Holster 1: First try made at the Tandy leather workshop. Crossdraw car holster with a clip for a J-Frame. I need to go back and form it a bit more and then it will get dyed black and a protective finish applied.
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/crossdrawclipfront.jpg
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/crossdrawclipback.jpg

Holster 2: Attempt at a severe cant OWB pancake for the J-Frame. Needs the belt slots to be a bit farther out andf beefier. Needs the gun to sit lower across the belt line so it doesn't flop out as much. Needs nicely cut belt slots (Thanks Srigs for the suggestion)
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/owbpancakefront.jpg

Holster 3: IWB for the J-Frame. Based on a AKJ Concealco design. I wish I had done the Chicago screw frony loop as they did. the boning is tight and it fits pretty well.
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/iwbfront.jpg
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/iwbback.jpg
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/iwbspine.jpg

The problem with all these holsters is the gun and what I want to do. The J-Frame is probably too small to do a 40 degree cant. That puts a LOT of the gun up and along the belt with not much to hold it in. I think I need to look at dropping the gun relative to the belt slots (OWB) and try the AKJ design for the Beretta 96 to see what works.

The best part: for $20 in leather, I can try until I find something that works.

Thanks Scrigs for the advice and use of tools. You left your antler at my place but it worked out well for forming the IWB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Glad it worked as much as it could and we will have to get together again! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:51 pm 
Raving Moderate

Good job on those! I'm planning on making an IWB one of these days...

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

On Holster #1, did you get the clip and attaching device(s) at Tandy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:30 pm 

Nice work for both of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
Nice work for both of you.

You all should see Jeff's! It will be a great looking rig. We need pics of the finished rig now. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:00 am 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
On Holster #1, did you get the clip and attaching device(s) at Tandy?

I got everything at Tandy. Actually, I went to Tandy yesterday and bought a bunch of supplies. If you're spending ~$100, it's definitely worth it to get the membership. My total before the $35 membership was $101. After, and including the membership it was $100. In general, you save ~30%+ with the membership.

Johan at the Bloomington store was VERY helpful and interested in giving advice and talking shop.

Note about the clip: the problem IMnsHO with a clip vs a loop is that you can size the loop to the particular belt. The clip is one size fits a range. In my case, the clip is deeper than my belt and longer. It would fit a belt twice as thick and up to 1.5" wide (mine is 1.25"). This gives it some swivel. That might be good for a IWB when sitting but for a car crossdraw with the angler I thought I wanted ... bad juju.

Attaching the clip: Cut a leather patch that is ~1/4" wider than the clip and leave 1/4" on the top and bottom. cut a slit for the clip to slip through and rivet the clip to the leather piece. Then sew the leather piece to your holster (ALL 4 SIDES). Leaves you with nothing metal touching the gun and a nice solid piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

OK, the suggestion has been made to have my wife take some pics. She looked at me funny when I asked her to "take some pictures so I can post them on the internet" but what the heck ... here you go:

My current rig is home made in black and is an IWB for a Taurus 85 (J-Frame) based on a design by AKJ Concealco.

http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/number%203/100_2488.JPG
http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/number%203/100_2489.JPG

Black Shirt Front Side

http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/number%203/100_2492.JPG

More pics of the holster in question:
Front Small Big
Back Small Big

And the Accompanying 2x2x2 pouch prototype:
Closed on Belt Small Big
Unsnapped on Belt Small Big
Open / Dump mode on Belt Small Big

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ok, so how did it work you asdk? Well, lackluster...

I should have read the copy of Hidden in Plain Sight someone was kind enough to loan out at the holster clinic before deciding on a design and modifying it. IWB J-Frame holsters are a bit tricky to cant because there's not much barrel and the weight sometimes sits at or above the belt, causing a tipping issue. Add to that the issue caused by the sight plane front loop which can cause the grip to rotate out and you get only marginal concealment with any cant > ~15 degrees. I was going for 40 degrees cant for car access. It still works fine for verticle carry or slight cant but has more material than needed for those purposes.

But that's the beauty of roll your own. you can try something new with some time invested and for a lot less money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
But that's the beauty of roll your own. you can try something new with some time invested and for a lot less money.

Very true and that's why I like it also.

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Someone please stop me! My thumb is NUMB and my wrists ache. I'm definitely buying the palm pusher for needles next paycheck.

So, the other night I was working on holsters and heard our 11.99 month old crying. I looked at the clock to see if he would need a bottle, and etc only to find it was 0300 ... yes, 3 IN THE MORNING. I had been working on holsters and etc for 7 hours straight. I wasn't bored, not very tired, and I have some fruits of my labor.

The latest holster is for a Beretta 92/96 currently sporting a .40 S&W slide / barrel.
Front, Big Back, Big
Note the two belt slots. It turned out fine except the center slot was not inline with the barrel so while the grip side wing pulled the grip in, the barrel / front stuck out. The second jury rigged slide side loop works very well but is much too high on the gun. The result is a good field holster which can be worn high and accessible or lower and tight. I need to work out the template for a higher riding concealment holster though. I can also see why most holsters are open muzzled. That closing adds 1/2" to the length and looks fugly on my work. (ok, the rest isn't pretty either.)

fugly single magazine pouch for a Beretta 92/96 in .40 S&W. It's supposed to be rearward canted but the belt loops are too big. The bottom is also sloppy. I need to get some thick paper to use for templates. it IS functional though.

A Magazine / Light / Knife holder for the same Beretta 92/96 .40 S&W mag, Surefire G2 light and CRKT M16 (Cheap Wal Mart Version) knife. Conveniently, it also holds my Gerber multitool for when I'm at work (we're posted and it's in against policy)

Post subject: We're up to number 5
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok, we've hit Number five and the first one I'm truly happy with. There are still things I'm unhappy with as far as details go but it's functional and comfortable. It seems every holster / project teaches you a little bit more about what you want to do in the future.

Bigger Images: Front Back

Post subject: Number six
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, With some planning, I'm getting holsters that I'm happy with. They're not perfect yet. I think I need to borrow some people's extra holsters and look at their proportions and which ones have what features and what makes them that way.

RH extreme forward cant (~30-35 degrees) reinforced mouth OWB holster for a govt size 1911a1.

Bigger image, Closer and Bigger

Bigger Image, Closer and Bigger

No one wants to see pics of me but I DID dye the holster since this was posted:
Side: Small, Big
Back: Small, Big
Front: Small, [url=http://plblark.pihost.us/tcc/number%206/100_2564.JPG]Big

Last edited by plblark on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good looking holster.

If you want to look at mine for an extended period of time let me know!

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice work! Are those little paw prints all over the front?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.