Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:51 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 New holster care recommendation 
 Post subject: New holster care recommendation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:25 pm 

Just picked up a Galco Fletch in havana brown
I love it! but i dont want the leather to crack and I just want to keep good care of it. Can any one recommend oils and what not to take care of it
thanks!

Post subject: Re: New holster care recommendation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:42 pm 
1911 tainted

Apdl wrote:
Just picked up a Galco Fletch in havana brown
I love it! but i dont want the leather to crack and I just want to keep good care of it. Can any one recommend oils and what not to take care of it
thanks!

Simple answer to that question, contact the manufacture. Some manufactures, especially custom makers are very particular as to what can be used on there product because of the characteristics in the fitting and boning of their leather. Most leather products or treatment that you see on the shelf waterproof and soften the leather which may be not what is good for your particular holster.

I haven't checked the Galco web site, but go by what they recommend and if there are no recommendations for care on their web site, contact them for suggestions.

If you cannot get information from the holster manufacturer, I would use nothing more than Kiwi in natural.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:11 am 

yea they got some thing ill look in to it
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Don't get it wet if you can. Otherwise you generally don't need to do anything to them.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:12 am 

I've had one Galco holster in service since the mid 90's. I've done nothing to it at all. Keep in mind, you walk a very fine line with holsters between keeping it from cracking and going to pot from neglect and softening it up so it doesn't do it's job properly. A floppy holster is just as bad as a rotted one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:04 pm 

http://www.purdygear.com/contact.html She wrote an article for the Cowboy Chronicle awhile back about leather holster care. If you don't get any recomendations from the company, you could see what she recomends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:08 pm 

For keeping leather soft and supple I use neatsfoot oil. This is available at most western saddle shops or even some hardware stores. For cleaning leather I use saddle soap or glycerin soap. I will saddle soap the leather first, let dry, then use neatsfoot oil. You dont need much neatsfoot oil (I will put some on my finger and rub in) because it will darken the leather.

The problem is most production holsters have a sealer on them and neatsfoot oil wont soak in. There is no way to oil the leather short of removing the sealer.To see if there is a sealer try oiling a small part on the back of the holster and see if it soaks in and dries. If the oil doesnt dry then the leather is sealed. Sealed leather will dry and crack over time.

With proper care a holster will last for years and years even if you get it wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:11 pm 
1911 tainted

I am going to suggest again, contact the manufacture.

Do not use mink oil, do not use saddle soap, do not use anything to soften the leather of a holster, you will ruin the holster. Soft boots and softball gloves are great, but not a soft holster.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:23 pm 
1911 tainted

Thanks for the link, I am adding it to my list. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:33 pm 

cobb wrote:
I am going to suggest again, contact the manufacture.

Do not use mink oil, do not use saddle soap, do not use anything to soften the leather of a holster, you will ruin the holster. Soft boots and softball gloves are great, but not a soft holster.

thanks for all the info
but i agree with cobb i dont want to soften it Galco has a conditioner ill get that thnaks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

The only kind of holster that won't be ruined by oil or saddle soap is a full flap type. An example would be a WW2 .45 auto holster which is soft to start with. Softening any boned holster ruins it.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.