Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Ladies carry? for S&W 642 J-Frame 
 Post subject: Ladies carry? for S&W 642 J-Frame
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:50 pm 

Ladies out there please help me out! I am a fairly curvy woman who is looking to get away from off-person carry. If you have any suggestions or recommendations on holster, or what to look for I would really appreciate it. I have read the site Cornered Cat, which I found helpful, but am looking for more people with experience to help me figure this thing out.

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:59 pm 
The Man

First of all, welcome aboard.

While I'm not a lady, I have found that many women -- including my wife -- find that pocket carry tends to work very well, most of the time, with SmartCarry/Thunderwear for those situations where dresses/skirts without pockets makes that impractical.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm a lad, not a lady but you might look at something like this.
http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=64&categoryID=21

Oh, Welcome.
:) :) :)

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:08 pm 
Delicate Flower

Welcome

Suggest you track down MsT she may be able to assist you.
(or chinakay or tickslayer or anyone else I missed) :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Welcome to the forum.

Smartcarry would be a good option for something without a belt. Others would be IWB or OWB would mean a good quality belt which you would need to dress for.

Pocket carry is another great option. IMHO.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:15 pm 

This might be a bit overwhelming but I used this link to track down my carry rig. I'm not a woman but I went with Kramer leather as I liked his holster designs.

I spent 2 weeks going through each and every link mulling over their options before I commited to throwing down $300 in holster and belt...

http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:14 am 

OK - I'll jump in, although I'm not sure what you mean by "a fairly curvy woman". Through winter I was carrying a Kahr 9mm in a holster OWB - figuring that sweaters and hoodie sweatshirts concealed. As summer approached, I started looking for an alternative (I don't wish to open carry). I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT because of it's compact size, and made a pocket holster (thanks to srigs inspiration), so that the gun would sit comfortably in my pocket - where I wanted it. Most of the guys I know who carry revolvers in their pockets just use an Uncle Mike's, but that didn't work for me. I keep reminding them that not only are we shaped different than they are, our clothes are cut different, too ! An alternative would be a fannypack made for carry. I believe that's what LH opted for.

And welcome ! Nice to see another gal posting here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:27 am 

Thanks for the welcome!!

I currently carry in my purse or jacket, in a pocket holster. I guess I'm having trouble trying to figure out the best way to conceal with nice weather upon us. I can't really put it in my jeans pocket because of my hourglass figure. Being blessed with hips doesn't help in this matter. I'd like to try to make it work without adding another firearm to the household. :)

Last edited by misspriss on Fri May 18, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:02 am 
Longtime Regular

My wife uses the pocket carry for her 642. Being pregnant has reduced the number of options for her to carry.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

How would you prefer to carry? Some friends at the Women & Guns site carry their Airweights with one or more of the following methods:
* Belly band (often around the hips) -- no belt, hooray!
* Uncle Mike's soft IWB
* SmartCarry (my current method, works under dress clothes) -- again no belt!
* leather IWB holster (now being custom designed for me) -- one of the women at W&G has a leather holster so well designed it just stays in place without any belt. And her carry is much larger than yours. I'm in awe of her holstermaker.

I'm currently about a size 16, blessed with quite curvy hips :roll: and have zero trouble hiding this on me. The key seems to be a semi-loose top. Peasant tops, tunics and empire-waist blouses are all popular this season. Additionally, you can go the tank/cami & buttoned shirt route. I've also found that semi-fitted top over the gun and a sheer shirt seem to conceal well.

I've found that my Taurus 85 hides better if I wear it at 3:30 (just behind the ball of the femur) with the grips angled forward a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:23 pm 

I almost made this very same thread for the wife, don't know how I just happened upon it now, I'm very interested in what you do come up with Misspriss (welcome aboard) The wife doesn't have her permit yet, so we have a little time on our side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 pm 

although i'm not a gal, i too carry a taurus 85..... and as stated, a IWB at 3:30 is golden. if you have it any further foward it will dig a bit on the muzzle end when you sit. an uncle mikes for this application only runs $15-$20, well worth it in my opinion. even if to give it a try.... if your not happy with it you haven't lost much.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.