Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Next Holster Session June 28th 7pm 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:19 pm 

Yeah, I have them. I just thought - I'll be really careful. It isn't that big. I won't need the glove.

Until it bled through the swab. Now I am a purplish brown color. :roll:

I was able to get the single punch from the St Paul store this afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:00 am 
Longtime Regular

hypertech wrote:
OK - so the Tandy guys did a really good job separating me from my money.

I am also now dyed dark mohogany :(. For some dumb reason I didn't think the dye would soak through the little sheepskin swab the guy suggested I use. I have to figure that out - it left fuzz all over everything.

So how many weeks is my hand gonna look funny?

About a week! :lol: :lol: :lol: I told you :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Harbor Freight just recently had them on sale IIRC. you can borrow 10 or so from me if you don't want to buy a whole box. (that's how I got started :-))

I have a shirt, a light switch, and both hands along with a smudge on my cheek that were black for some length of time after my first attempt. The light switch and shirt were permanent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:

Wet wool pants weigh a ton and you will walk around smelling like a sheep all day.

There are parts of the country that this could be a bad thing to do.. :P

But you wouldn't be lonely. :)

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:52 pm 

It turns out that you can get most of it off with a lot of acetone and a lot of soap. Its all gone now.

Post subject: Another idea for you...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:03 am 

I picked up a 12-pack of foam brushes at Wal-Mart for $1... it's got 4 or 5 small 1" wide brushes that seem to work really well for applying the dye. I tried out the Eco-Flow stuff last night - seemed to do a decent job, but there were a couple spots that I will probably re-coat tonight. I LIKE the water based aspects of this - made clean up really easy!!! As long as the dye job doesn't react with sweat in the pocket and turn my leg black!!!

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 am 
Longtime Regular

That's what the sealant is for ;-)
I've gotten away with a couple single coat dye jobs but there's generally some spot that's either too thin or too purplish or whatever. two coats makes it much more even in my experience. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I generally dip my holsters completely in dye but it take a lot of dye to do it.

You will want 2 to 3 coats of sealant to protect. Black does bleed more than some colors I have found. We need pictures of the finished products!!! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: second coat...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:43 am 

looked like it covered well. hopefully I can get finish coats applied the next couple nights with similar results! I'm happy with how it's looking so far - only change I would make to a re-do would be to extend the upper cover slightly wider so that it would cover the edge of the belt clip more. As is, it is partly exposed and I suspect it may be a lint catcher.

gun control means hitting where you aim!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.