Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Need Advice on OWB Cross-Draw Holster 
 Post subject: Need Advice on OWB Cross-Draw Holster
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:45 pm 

Guys,
I have always pocket-carried, and found it works very well for me...except that I like to carry lots of junk in my pockets and simply don't have room for a gun (typically a snubby thirty-eight special) without cargo pants with multiple pockets. I have given some thought to what might work for an alternative and wondered if an OWB cross-draw holster for the snubby might work--say at about 11:00?
Can you guys give me some pros and cons of such an arrangement (is it hard to conceal, etc.?)? And I am wondering if anyone up in the northern suburbs might have such an holster sitting around unused in a drawer that I could try out for a few weeks to see if it fits my guns and my lifestyle? If so, I might offer to buy it for a reasonable price :twisted: from you! Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm curious how you got here. Why not conventional strong side OWB?

The usual objections to crossdraw are these:

* If it's far enough back to conceal, it's hard to reach around
* You sweep everyone in front of you during the draw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

Have you ruled out IWB? I carry my XD in this: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product ... ision.html

It's also available for a number of revolvers. I find it very comfortable at around 5:00.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:25 pm 

I'd discourage this carry method.
If you have a gut, it might be very difficult. In any case, a good cover garment is needed and the butt prints very readily. It's utterly fantastic if you're driving or standing around with a suit coat on and want a hand on a weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

I've just recently started carrying my S&W 13-2 (.357 mag, 3" barrel) in an OWB cross draw holster at almost exactly 9:00, which puts the grips at about 10:00. I really like it, and it is very easy to locate and draw without effort. (Hadn't given much thought to the 'sweeping' argument, but will. Thanks Andrew).

Previously, when I carried this gun, I used an Uncle Mikes IWB at about 1:00. This woirked OK, could reach it easily, but was damned uncomfortable to sit down with, and totally inaccessable in the car.

I tried OWB on the strong (RH) side, but I'm a tall guy with long arms, and found it very difficult to bring the gun up high enough to clear the holster in a fluid motion.

YRMV

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:56 am 

Thanks for the thoughts, guys! The reason I had wondered if this method might be good for me is that, exactly like Aquaholic, I have longish arms and a very short trunk from waist up--all my height is in my legs. In order to access any kind of OWB holster on the strong side (or at least any that I have thought about) I actually have to both throw my shoulder up and also get my elbow up higher than my shoulder on that side--not something that works so well anymore with various shoulder problems over the years and is extremely awkward and slow besides. I played around a little trying various positions and realized that the added length of reach it took to get to cross-draw was very comfortable and quick compared to the strong side, and soaked up the added length of my arms. But I acknowledge the concealment difficulty of 11:00. Perhaps I need to keep thinking?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.