Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:14 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Question, Strong Side, OWB, hip draw 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Add me to the list of fans of the carry locks. I think Bianchi nailed the retention on this one, works much better than the Serpa version. It is a comfortable and secure rig.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject: New Favorite Holster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:58 pm 

Last week received my Bulman QRH QUICK RELEASE HOLSTER for my HK PSK.40 and outstanding. Include a good belt from beltman.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Advantages of 4:00 carry:
1. less visible if your covering garment is displaced by the wind, or you digging in your pockets, etc.
2. less likely to bang your gun into a doorframe or person or whatever while walking around.

Advantages of 3:00 carry:
1. faster draw.
2. especially if you're belted into your car seat.

So a lot of people, including me, wind up somewhere in between.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Or with a paddle holster that can be adjusted as needed.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 am 
Longtime Regular

jac714 wrote:
Add me to the list of fans of the carry locks. I think Bianchi nailed the retention on this one, works much better than the Serpa version. It is a comfortable and secure rig.

Can you elaborate on the concealability of the carryloks? I've read that since the locking mechanism is pretty stiff, they don't break in around the hip at 3 o'clock all that well and are better off for 4 o'clock carry...at least if your looking to minimize printing. True or not?

So I won't be accused of too much drift: as many others have done I switched my wallet location from right rear to front left, for both ease of access and maximizing distance between gun and wallet in case of LEO encounter. Took all of a day to get use to it. If I'm wearing cargo pants/shorts the wallet goes down low if will securely stay there. For jeans, it gets crammed in with other stuff in the regular front-left pocket.

At first I wanted to carry around 4-4:30, but I've gotten use to it at 3, probably because I spend too much time sitting and bending. Maybe you'll find that 3 works out okay in the end. FWIW, I agree with others that the SERPA is really only good as an OC rig (IMO); man does it stick out pretty far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

I wear my Carrylok around 8:30 (I'm a southpaw). I never tried it at the 9:00 position, but it does seem like it would be less comfortable that far forward on the hip.

Behind the hip is also the one way I've found to actually conceal a 92FS. Let's face it, that grip is BIG. When I'm in the car, I would have a devil of a time getting to it quickly. I should probably get a cheap holster to mount on the center console for when I'm driving.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:08 pm 

I wear at 3:00, sometimes 3:30 depending on the position of the belt loops on my pants that day. It has a pretty good FBI cant, so 3:30 still keeps it accessible. You are right, initially the rig feels stiff with the rigid locking mechanism, however once the saddle has acclimated to your weapon and the front & rear holster loops reshape, it hugs as tightly as any of my other pancakes for autos. I also find the release lever entirely intuitive for my middle finger. Thumb snaps annoy me, but I need the retention and this is a perfect hybrid (for me - and seemingly many others). FWIW, I rarely use any of the other holsters for my 24/7 anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Long Ago LEO wrote:
I wear at 3:00, sometimes 3:30 depending on the position of the belt loops on my pants that day. It has a pretty good FBI cant, so 3:30 still keeps it accessible. You are right, initially the rig feels stiff with the rigid locking mechanism, however once the saddle has acclimated to your weapon and the front & rear holster loops reshape, it hugs as tightly as any of my other pancakes for autos. ... FWIW, I rarely use any of the other holsters for my 24/7 anymore.

Do you think that sometime you (or anyone else with a Carry-lok) could snap some pictures of it all broken in on your person? All the photos I can find are marketing pictures. I'm in the market for some OWB holsters. If it conceals as well as others and can do double duty as an occasional OC rig with retention, that'd be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

<- Makes note to check their site for a M&P 40C holster when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:13 pm 

I carry about 4:30. If I can’t grab my pistol with both strong hand and week hand I’m not happy. I love those serpas but (I agree) they are bad for concealment. My choice is a the Galco Royal Guard (IWB). I’ve had mine for two years and its no worse for ware then the day I bought it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:07 pm 

Not good with this self portrait stuff; will try and get something better for you eventually (or someone else will).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

The carry lock is a great solution IMHO and it is made from leather so what is not to like. I would pass on a Blackhawk any day for a Carry Lock.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Long Ago LEO,
Thanks for taking the time to take and post the picture. It certainly looks like it does as good a job as a Galco Concealable or something comparable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:38 pm 
Gun-Toting Liberal

For OWB I have a Galco Fletch that I removed the retention strap from, I carry that at 9 o clock. I also have a Milt Sparks VMII for IWB that usually ends up at 8:30. I have carried my wallet in my left front pocket for years and am having a hard time getting it to stay in my right front. It seems I am a creature of habit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:45 am 
Longtime Regular

my preference is for the RM Holsters ECP.

www.rmholsters.com

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.