Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Gage Gun Leather (from years ago)... 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Long Ago LEO wrote:
plblark - I can PM you a source of stays and other stock metals - probably tomorrow. Will check with some Orthotists that I know who are proficient in metal, plastic and leather. One of them made me an ankle holster for my M85 about 15-years or so ago. Would post pics, but I think that holster is on the boat somewhere.

Srigs - if interested in seeing this Gage holster up close, PM me with some info, so I can get it to you.

Will do. It looks do able with the right backing for the holster to hold it firm enough.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll gladly 'test' your first one. :D :wink:

Seriously, put my name on one that'll fit a full sized M1911A1. When ya get ready to sell them, lemme know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:32 am 

Gage Gun Leather is no longer in business. We had the opportunity to buy his inventory a couple of years ago. I have one of his last catalogs.

Srigs - you might want to think twice before doing that design. There is a patent on the design and it is currently still within the 20-year coverage. So you might want to think up your own holster design(s).

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:56 am 

How does patent infringement apply if one (some) of us make a similar holster to this for our own use? I understand that selling them would be a patent violation, but if we get together and make similar holsters is it a problem?

I was looking at an old holster of mine and if I combine it with stays from a post-surgery back brace, old boot leather, and some Chicago Screws I think I have the makings of a trial holster.

I'm thinking this may be a rainy day project. If I can get it done I'll try and post pics.

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:07 am 

K-Man - You have some good looking products on your website. I noticed you're not offering the holster being discussed here. Do you own the patent now or do you know what Gage officially called this design, so I can query it?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:14 am 

Possibly this one? (Gage made this one without the thumb break or I had it removed; can't remember.)

Inventor(s)
David Austin Gage
Charles Franklin Gage

Application
No. 205141 filed on 1998-12-03

Current US Class
224/587 , Holding article in concealment (e.g., money belt worn under clothing or having hidden pocket, etc.) 224/191 , Article held by receiver 224/911 , HANDGUN HOLDER FORMED OF LEATHER, FABRIC, OR OTHER FLEXIBLE MATERIAL 224/912 HANDGUN HOLDER FORMED OF METAL OR OTHER RIGID MATERIAL

Field of Search
224/191 , Article held by receiver 224/587 , Holding article in concealment (e.g., money belt worn under clothing or having hidden pocket, etc.) 224/911 , HANDGUN HOLDER FORMED OF LEATHER, FABRIC, OR OTHER FLEXIBLE MATERIAL 224/912 HANDGUN HOLDER FORMED OF METAL OR OTHER RIGID MATERIAL

Examiners
Primary: Linda J Sholl

Attorney, Agent or Firm
Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.

US Patent References
Holster safety snap assembly
Issued on: August 15, 1995
Inventor: Mixson

Abstract Claims Description Full Text

Abstract
A concealment holster constructed from a support member sandwiched between a glove and thumb break member and a paddle member having outwardly extending wings. The lower portion of the glove and thumb break and the wings are worn beneath the trousers of the wearer below the waist with the handgun enclosure extending above the waist of the trousers in such a manner as to be easily concealed by a coat, sweater, windbreaker, or the like. Other References

Leatherwood Holsters Catalog, "Specializing in Cocealed Carry", Summer 1992, pp. 1-3, 6-9, 14-17.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:29 am 

Not sure how this patent stuff works - I just know I'd like to replicate this design for a different weapon. I checked my records and the original holster (pictured at the beginning of this thread), included the thumb break retention system as described in the patent above. I had it removed. So, is it a violation of patent to make it without the retention (as the one I have pictured)?

And while on the subject, what is the work-around the plethora of holster manufacturers utilize to crank out virtually identical products; just the nearly insignificant nuances between them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Patents are generally a scam. I wouldn't worry about it if you are making it for personal use. If I was making them to sell I would follow my normal business policy around lawyer consultation. Holsters are a pretty common thing and I think there would be a tough time enforcing this or any patent on holsters. It may get expensive though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:12 pm 

Long Ago LEO: I'll look it up soon and link it. We had the opportunity to have the patent transferred to us in the sale of the inventory, but opted not to do that.

To make the holster for one's own personal use would not be an infringement. However, if someone made one like this and transferred ownership to another, for something of value in return, then there is the issue of infringement and profiting from the transfer.

The removal of the thumbbreak/retention strap would not alter the patented design.

Patents are hardly a scam. They're made to protect one's design and effort put into it.

If someone wants to make/sell this style of holster, then I would recommend they get the patent history and consult with legal counsel. The patent history provides all the details of the application for the patent, as well as the "elements" of the patent. Those elements are what you need to make sure you're not infringing on. Oftentimes there are more than one element to the patent.

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:54 pm 

K-Man - Thank you for your response. It has been a very accommodating holster for many years and seems a shame it is not readily available to the consumer. I may see if my friends and I can make a project night (as previously mentioned) and come up with something that addresses my current holstering needs. And hopefully, someone with the mind to do so will run with the legal end of it if the market seems to dictate it will sell. Hate to see a good (patented) idea buried away indifinitely.

Has your company considered adding this to your product line or did Gage seem to imply it was not a very successful platform?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good information Kevin. I would definitely look into it legally if it works or make my own design.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.