Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:08 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Officer gets drunk, carrying a gun, gets fired 
 Post subject: Officer gets drunk, carrying a gun, gets fired
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:06 pm 

http://www.bms.state.mn.us/documents/aw ... egulia.pdf

I stumbled across this while looking for something else.

The officer in this case had his privlige to carry as a police officer revoked for violating the carrying while intoxicated section of the MPPA. In turn, he lost his job.

What is interesting is that a statute you would expect to be applied to permit holders was applied to a police officer who, one would assume - does not have/need a permit to carry.

(Yes, I know some cops get carry permits, but we all know they can carry whenever/wherever they want for the most part)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Officer gets drunk, carrying a gun, gets fired
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Erik_Pakieser wrote:
What is interesting is that a statute you would expect to be applied to permit holders was applied to a police officer who, one would assume - does not have/need a permit to carry.

Interesting indeed. This happened because 624.7142, which was added in 2003 as part of the carry law, is so very well written. Gleeful emphasis mine:

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/ ... n=624.7142

Quote:
...if a person violates subdivision 1, clauses (1) to (5), the person's authority to carry a pistol in a public place on or about the person's clothes or person under the provisions of a permit or otherwise is revoked...

Thanks are due once again to Linda Boudreau, David Gross, Joe Olson and Pat Parisau, among others. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:15 pm 

Hey, I'm all for it!

Personally, I am way more afraid of the poor judgment of off-duty police officers than permit holders. Having been a cop myself, I've seen some scary stuff. A lot of the "here's what not to do" examples I use in my classes are things off-duty cops did.

I have nothing but support and respect for people in law enforcement; but I think they should be held to the same - if not higher - standard of behavior as "ordinary" citizens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

It appears the limit for everyone is .04, not .10.

I'd bet 9 out of 10 police don't know THAT.

Of course, unless an officer is doing something to attract other charges, as here, we won't see a case.

Post subject: Re: Officer gets drunk, carrying a gun, gets fired
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:51 am 
Wise Elder

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Thanks are due once again to Linda Boudreau, David Gross, Joe Olson and Pat Parisau, among others. :)

Thank you. :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.