Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 SC: Sheriff Mike Hunt fires Deputy for assault 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:56 am 
On time out

Dick

he is clearly heard calling it DOC, and that must be an offense sufficient for a trip down town. I do not know the laws there, but some states have different laws than here.....

Andrew....making a hyperbolic argument is one logical way of representing that in some places, there are reasonable limits imposed by Governments on expressionistic behaviors.

Cops are not held to a higher standard, every man is equal under the law, so pushing that issue does not work

I would also say that seeing he already knows who the kids are, (he does say he knows their names) that these are not people who are unfamiliar with the legal system and might in fact be well known to the police for other actions they take.

Joel, as far as the making it hard for the next guy, I would say that it goes both ways, if you mess up and really cross the line, (kid gets in the cop car with nary a bruise, and shows up at the first pre trial looking like he did 14 rounds with a 1990 era mike tyson or similar blatant "he fell down the stairs" ) Yup then you get every body in the whole town against you. But likewise, if you let stuff go, let kids give you the finger without stopping them, not stop when you see kids smoking, not stopping when you see a couple of kids passing a little bottle in a brown bag, Soon you have NO control at all. Maybe its a silly ordinance by your standards, they may consider getting busted for a doobie a silly argument, but its the LAW and it has to be upheld,

All the time here we talk about upholding the law, well it seems that it was the law where this officer was working that underwear was not to be visible. This all started out with him trying to enforce it.

Frankly as I said, FROM just the video, I do not see enough to fire the guy,. and thats all I am saying

I am not saying..

the officer did a good job

that the kid was an angel

that the kid was a thug

that underwear laws are good or bad

that I agree with how he did his stop,

or that what he did was the way I would have done it

What I am saying is that

Based on what I saw in this video, I do not see enough to fire a veteran Police officer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
. . . .Soon you have NO control at all

That control belongs to the parents not the government. The job of law enforcement is to enforce laws. The laws that have been written to displace parental responsibility are a shame on our nation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:45 am 
Longtime Regular

It's hardly Disorderly Conduct, although most juridictions define that loosely. And there would need to be someone to be disorderly to, someone to be offended by the conduct, other than the cop driving by. It appears the street is empty. Did they get witnesses who had aroused anxiety level? No.

And if the government has an "underwear law" on the books the kid has an even better case against the police, then it CAN"T logically be called Disorderly Conduct, because the wise city council has already decided it's the lessor charge of "Underwear Offence", not a jailable matter.

These cops are dead ducks, and should be. How many people should be abused to save this guy's job, so that a more deserving person won't get it. We should err on the side of caution. The cop should get a job as a bouncer or rassler, not a public servant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
"Underwear Offense", not a jailable matter.

I haven't read all the details, but in Florida case I posted above it apparently is jailable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Andrew....making a hyperbolic argument is one logical way of representing that in some places, there are reasonable limits imposed by Governments on expressionistic behaviors.

Aure, but only if you ignore the difference between "reasonable" and "absurd."

Quote:
Cops are not held to a higher standard, every man is equal under the law, so pushing that issue does not work

No way. With great power comes great responsibility. To those that we trust with the power to use deadly force in a mostly unsupervised environment, damn right we need to expect more from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
So, he sees three guys walking down the street, one of them showing his shorts, and stops, gets out of the car, and says, "look -- we've got this silly ordinance, that says you can't show your underwear. Whether or not you and I think that makes any sense, either your pants go up, or I have to ticket you. Nothing personal; just my job."

Which is how he should've started the field contact to begin with.

I WOULD bet that in this case, the youths new the ordinance and were familiar with the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Couple things jump out at me from this video,

#1: This <strike>cop</strike> ex-cop needs to drop the drill sergeant bullshit mentality. He's not dealing with enlisted soliders or subordinates of any kind. The fact that he comes off like he is makes him unfit for the uniform.

#2: The only "thug" I see on the video is the one using his badge as an excuse for his thuggery.

#3: Not only did he commit assault (and battery) on the person he shoved, the line, "I'm gonna get my shotgun out and use that" when referring to the crowd gathering behind him is plainly assault (creating fear of bodily harm) on the crowd gathering in the driveway in the distance.

#4: What was the deal with the car that came rolling up in the background (through the yard, bounding over the driveway and coming to a stop)?

#5: Are the cops really so ignorant of the law to say that we're required to carry an ID when "walking around in broad daylight"?

This guy <strike>isn't</strike> wasn't a cop, he was a bigger thug than the three guys out taking a walk put together, and as soon as he got on the PA he was stumping for a confrontation.

It's sad that the video saw the light of day, not because it exposed the situation and exhonorates (in my opinion) the victim of his assault, but because he turned it in. I find that part sad because this bastard, in his own mind, did the right thing by pushing a kid around.

Granted, the kid should have kept his mouth shut, "I'm gonna get paid!" will surely weigh against him when it comes to settlement time. (There will be a settlement, just not quite as much.)

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:11 am 
The Man

tman065 wrote:
joelr wrote:
So, he sees three guys walking down the street, one of them showing his shorts, and stops, gets out of the car, and says, "look -- we've got this silly ordinance, that says you can't show your underwear. Whether or not you and I think that makes any sense, either your pants go up, or I have to ticket you. Nothing personal; just my job."

Which is how he should've started the field contact to begin with.

I WOULD bet that in this case, the youths new the ordinance and were familiar with the system.
As it turns out, according to the sheriff, there isn't an ordinance; Nation was freelancing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Even if the kids were cold guilty of a jailable offense, there is no excuse for treating people like these cops did. It's abuse, pure and simple.

How many "strikes" do we give an abuser, whether he abuses children or teen age thugs or adults? And should such a person EVER have the power of the State?

What we see on "COPS" is not a bunch of "heros" fighting crooks. They are usually deplorable examples of law enforcement. The cops emulate the crooks, trying to intimidate everyone they meet. Just like these cops.

The are the cause of trouble, not the solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
What we see on "COPS" is not a bunch of "heros" fighting crooks. They are usually deplorable examples of law enforcement. The cops emulate the crooks, trying to intimidate everyone they meet. Just like these cops.

Sometimes. And sometimes we see a cop put his ego in his back pocket for the duration of the contact and use the fine skills of persuasion and diplomacy (not to be confused with intimidation or taunt) instead. :oops: My inner geek is showing.

I suspect that American culture has a lot to do with why bad cops get away with acting like thugs, and get to do it with the approval of a lot of non-LEO observers. Unless the culture changes, bad cops won't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:24 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
As it turns out, according to the sheriff, there isn't an ordinance; Nation was freelancing.

A$$hole deserves what he's got coming. This is the other way that cops make the next guy's job harder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:56 am 
The Man

tman065 wrote:
joelr wrote:

A$$hole deserves what he's got coming. This is the other way that cops make the next guy's job harder.
Yup.

Doing a terrific job as a street cop requires a lot of knowledge, experience, and skill. Not everybody has all of that, and that's not the standard.

Avoiding bullying somebody -- and then framing him for assault, after assaulting him -- is a pretty low bar, and this clown ran right into it. (But just imagine, for a moment, how it likely would have turned out if the jerk with the badge had done exactly the same thing just outside of camera range. He wasn't turned in by the female deputy -- and, to be fair, perhaps she wasn't watching at the moment that the assault occured -- but got nailed by the tape, and by superiors who refused to cover this up.)

By the way, you're allowed to write "asshole" here; I prefer that people use the words that they mean -- and use such words sparingly, when appropriate (as it is in this case), rather than substitute numbers/characters.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.