Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 TN Cops help thieves identify easy marks 
 Post subject: TN Cops help thieves identify easy marks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
FRANKLIN— In an effort to reduce the number of vehicle break-ins occurring in Franklin, police are going to start looking for items that would appeal to thieves.

Officers will walk through parking lots and streets looking in cars for things like ipods, cell phones, GPS devices and satellite radios that a thief would want to snatch. Officers will leave “crime prevention cards” on the cars they feel are targets for theft.

“We want to enlist the community as a partner in this initiative,” said Deputy Police Chief David Rahinsky. “Helping to make citizens more aware of how they can prevent themselves from becoming the victim of a crime like auto burglary can definitely reduce the number of them that occur in our city. A friendly reminder from alert and responsive Franklin Police Officers may be all it takes to help keep someone from leaving their purse or phone on their front seat while running into the store.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: TN Cops help thieves identify easy marks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:37 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Quote:
FRANKLIN— In an effort to reduce the number of vehicle break-ins occurring in Franklin, police are going to start looking for items that would appeal to thieves.

Officers will walk through parking lots and streets looking in cars for things like ipods, cell phones, GPS devices and satellite radios that a thief would want to snatch. Officers will leave “crime prevention cards” on the cars they feel are targets for theft.“We want to enlist the community as a partner in this initiative,” said Deputy Police Chief David Rahinsky. “Helping to make citizens more aware of how they can prevent themselves from becoming the victim of a crime like auto burglary can definitely reduce the number of them that occur in our city. A friendly reminder from alert and responsive Franklin Police Officers may be all it takes to help keep someone from leaving their purse or phone on their front seat while running into the store.”

I think I just had a minor aneurysm reading that. The cops, the one who are supposed to be protecting and serving, are actually putting bullseyes on potential victims? Are they THAT BORED!? MAYBE THEY SHOULD FOCUS ON CATCHING THE THIEVES INSTEAD OF MAKING THEIR JOBS EASIER!!!

GAAAAAAHHHHHH!

[ETA:] Are the cops really this fucking stupid!? Now a criminal who might have just passed a car will know it's ripe pickings. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!?

[Further ETA:] Note to self-switch to decaf for a while...

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Last edited by Binky .357 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:14 pm 
The Man

Well, they've got a chance to redeem themselves -- set up a bait car. Hunting over bait isn't always unethical or illegal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:10 pm 

In the past, I've left such cards while patrolling as a reserve officer, mostly in parking lots in parks. However, I would leave a card on EVERY car in the lot. (Hence only in smaller lots.) I'd either check a box indicating that something of value was visible or a box saying essentially "Good job. Nothing of value was visible."

Only leaving a card on cars with items visible isn't too bright.

DJ

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.