Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:52 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Jail shut after cops discover recliners in cells 
 Post subject: Jail shut after cops discover recliners in cells
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Total incompetence!
Quote:
Jail shut after cops discover recliners in cells
Texas site also had rooms that lock from inside, rack made of nails

updated 1:38 a.m. CT, Sat., Jan. 3, 2009

FORT WORTH, Texas - A jail has been closed and its nearly 60 inmates transferred as authorities investigate what they call dangerous conditions for jailers and those behind bars — including cells that locked from the inside or contained recliners.

Five inmates had already been moved from the Montague County jail to one in a nearby county this month after an FBI raid, said Jack McGaughey, district attorney for Montague, Clay and Archer counties.

McGaughey declined to say what prompted the investigation, also being conducted by the Texas Rangers. But he said authorities found contraband in the jail. New Sheriff Paul Cunningham moved the inmates to the Wise County jail on Thursday a few hours after he was sworn in.

McGaughey said some surveillance cameras' cords had been disconnected; recliners were in cells; some bathrooms and cells could be locked from the inside; and inmates had made partitions out of paper towels to block jailers' views inside their cells. One alarming discovery was a type of rack made of nails, he said.

'Safety'
"This action was taken because there was a concern for the safety of the prisoners and the jail personnel," McGaughey said Friday.

Some inmates had apparently used extension cords to lock deputies out, and unidentified pills were strewn about other jail cells, Dallas-Fort Worth television station WFAA reported.

No one has been arrested, but McGaughey plans to present evidence to a grand jury and said "a number of people" — inmates as well as jailers — could be indicted.

The U.S. attorney's office also is working with the FBI and may bring federal charges, McGaughey said. The FBI in Dallas did not immediately return calls seeking comment Friday.

Cunningham told WFAA-TV that the conditions made him "shiver" but said he hopes the jail will reopen in two months, with repairs made and inmates back under a new set of rules.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28475274

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:43 am 

Jails and prisons are awful places. In Texas the chronic underfunding of penal facilities is particularly bad. That the poor working conditions and low pay fail to attract COs with any sort of work ethic, intellect, or moral compass should come as a surprise to no one.

Sounds like Fort Worth is one step away from a system built entirely on corruption and graft like the one south of the border.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

So how does a recliner make it into a jail in the first place. Furniture should consist of indestructible molded plastic with very little concern for comfort.

Even paper towels is pushing it. A few squares of TP per day ought to cover it no?

I don't even have a darn recliner in my house, and I have not violated any laws to my knowledge. Where is my government funded recliner? Time to write a letter.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.