Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Host a Frat Party, get a Free SWAT Raid 
 Post subject: Host a Frat Party, get a Free SWAT Raid
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
SWAT team called in to search WSU fraternity
January 22, 2009, 10:58 am

The Pullman Police Department called in members of the regional SWAT team to execute a search warrant at a Washington State University fraternity Wednesday night.

Police responded to the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity shortly before 8:30 p.m. after receiving reports that members of the house located at 500 NE Colorado St. were furnishing alcohol to minors. When they arrived on scene, Pullman Cmdr. Chris Tennant said police found a crowd of intoxicated individuals playing with air soft guns.

An observing sergeant was notified that illegal substances were in a red Honda parked on the street. He flashed his light in the car and found a bong and bag of marijuana lying on the backseat floorboards, Tennant said.

A search warrant for the car was provided by the Whitman County District Court, and another warrant was granted for the house when the owner of the vehicle was later identified as a member of the fraternity.

Tennant said with four Pullman police officers and two from the Washington State University Police Department on scene, more law enforcement was needed to search the three-story house.

The regional SWAT team — made up of officers from the PPD, WSUPD and Whitman County Sheriff’s Office — were alerted shortly before midnight.

“We activated the SWAT team not because we needed special weapons and tactics, we just needed the bodies,” Tennant said.

Tennant said no one was hurt during the search, and no arrests were made. Officers did find marijuana, bongs and pipes in the house. He expects misdemeanor possession or unlawful use of drug paraphernalia charges to be filed against several individuals as the investigation continues.

Though no one present at the fraternity party was taken in to custody, a bystander, WSU student Ronald D. Gaydeski, 25, was cited for obstructing an officer.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:53 pm 

Thank God they got that bong off the street!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:02 pm 

Tax dollars at work. The city will probably thank the team for risking their lives in such a dangerous and hostile environment... Not taking away that they do in most cases, but in this instance... c'mon.

:?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm 
Poet Laureate

Don't forget the medals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

The article says they were activated for manpower, not their SWAT capabilites.
Did they attend the frat party in their battle gear? If yes, then I see a problem.
If no, then I don't see a problem.

I do however see it as a nice way to boost those SWAT callout stats to help increase funding next year. I'd imagine there is a standard way to request assisstance from surrounding agencies for non-emergency, but time-critical situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

As a former frat boy I'll tell you probably what happened:

When you throw a big party at your house, you already have more than enough guys there and you don't want to have more guys coming into your party and blowing the guy/girl ratio out of proportion and turning your cool party into a dreaded sausage party or festival of roosters.

So what you do is hire a bouncer at the door to only let a certain number of pre-invited guys in and any girl off the street in. Some guys (notably guys from other frats) get pissed that they can't get in so they call the cops or start a fight (which might result in the cops coming too). I'm pretty sure this was the case. Somebody knew that Biff McGillicuddy from I Felta Thigh had a bong in his car and thought that might help get the cops interested and the party busted up with the result of the aforementioned girls moving on to another party that Skip Johnson from I Eta Pi can get into.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:07 pm 
Raving Moderate

And let us not get into the parties thrown in my collegiate years by the brothers of Tappa Kegga Beera... :wink:

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
Tappa Kegga Beera

Great guys. I forgot about them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:18 am 

Jeremiah wrote:
And let us not get into the parties thrown in my collegiate years by the brothers of Tappa Kegga Beera... :wink:

They always throw the best parties..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.