Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 MN Trooper Dashcam:Legitimate traffic stop or abuse of power 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:32 pm 
The Man

Ronin069 wrote:
WTF WTF WTF

How did I miss this story? Where do I even start...who is going to even dare try to convince me that she should be listening to bleepin' loud music while in "hot pursuit?"
Well, I'm going to give her a bye on that; she was grooving on her choice of music, and although it's not to my taste, she wasn't making anybody else listen to it . . . and then, very quickly into the encounter, she turned it off or 'way down.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:46 pm 

joelr wrote:
Ronin069 wrote:
WTF WTF WTF

How did I miss this story? Where do I even start...who is going to even dare try to convince me that she should be listening to bleepin' loud music while in "hot pursuit?"
Well, I'm going to give her a bye on that; she was grooving on her choice of music, and although it's not to my taste, she wasn't making anybody else listen to it . . . and then, very quickly into the encounter, she turned it off or 'way down.

I don't know, Joel. Music is a proven emotion driver - I think that, and especially on new years eve, focus on what happening on the road - not what some dopy band is singing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

The "illegal lane change" is just a obvious pretext excuse for a DUI check. That happens only in the evening.

It is unsafe to stop on a freeway, that's what is probably the leading reason cops get killed.

The "pit manuver" would do nothing to stop him from fleeing. An uptight cop confused by her training. If he was DUI, as she suspected, she'd have gotten away with it. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm amazed that LEO's, by policy, are even allowed to listen to music. Don't they have to be able to listen to radio calls?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:57 pm 
The Man

Dick Unger wrote:
The "illegal lane change" is just a obvious pretext excuse for a DUI check. That happens only in the evening.

It is unsafe to stop on a freeway, that's what is probably the leading reason cops get killed.

The "pit manuver" would do nothing to stop him from fleeing. An uptight cop confused by her training. If he was DUI, as she suspected, she'd have gotten away with it. :evil:
I'm thinking "excuse" and "attempting to show the guys she's got a bigger penis than they do" rather than training. Not that it matters much.

Frankly, I'd have expected better from Captain Frandrup's people.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
On time out

Each time I see this I get madder and madder. I talked to two active LEOs today and both were shocked that she still on the job. Both made comments about the haircut. Both said a pit move will hardly ever work against a slow moving car and both said they were always hesitant to use it on a mini van because there was too much room for kids to fly around inside the vehicle. Both said they believed that militant sexual preference was a probable reason the leadership did not suspend or fire her.

I wrote a snail mail letter to the commandant and CCd it to pawlenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Both made comments about the haircut.

Thats funny. I was thinking the hair told a story of its own too!

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:31 am 
Longtime Regular

<embed src="http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf" flashvars="m=4769704&v=2&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="540" height="434"></embed><br />via <a href="http://www.videosift.com/video/Cartman-Respect-my-authoritaayy" title="Cartman: Respect my authoritaayy">videosift.com</a>

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I have always been under the impression that the PIT maneuver was restricted to situations where there were multiple police cars on the scene. I also thought you generally called for back up if you thought your target was fleeing and maintained a safe following distance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Just heard Fox News is going to run the story in a couple minutes on "Kelly's Court"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Policy! who needs policy!?! You don't get a reputation like Nash Bridges if you follow policy. Gotta get those speeding daddys and maybe score that big bust. What if he was a child abducter, a man with three kids in the car and no woman. . . . obviously a pedophile that needed an extreme stop.

Er, to quote Boondock Saints "Television. Television is the explanation for this - you see this in bad television. Little assault guys creeping through the vents, coming in through the ceiling - that James Bond shit never happens in real life! Professionals don't do that!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:47 pm 
Journeyman Member

I gotta say I was pretty miffed after watching this. It's pretty clear to me that someone who uses their turn signal and slows down, is not fleeing. Jumping out of the minivan probably wasn't smart, but if this bit$h hit my truck, I'd probably do the same.

She needs to be terminated, and charged. It's time that police start to become responsible for their actions. Not just some inside whitewash job. The police state is alive and well I'm afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:57 pm 

The one thing I noticed about the video is the time.

The video is chopped a couple times by Kare11, but you can see by the timestamps of the video, that Rindal initially maneuvered in behind Salter at 23:55:20 and activated her lights no earlier than that... he came to a stop at 23:56:57.

That "high-speed" "chase" lasted not longer than 1 minute and 37 seconds..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:01 am 

DeanC wrote:
I have always been under the impression that the PIT maneuver was restricted to situations where there were multiple police cars on the scene. I also thought you generally called for back up if you thought your target was fleeing and maintained a safe following distance.

Each department has their own policies regarding pursuits. Hopefully a licensed police officer - if there are any left on the board - can chime in for a more authoritative answer but it's been my impression from talking to those in public safety that police officers are encouraged to end pursuits as soon as possible. The longer the pursuit, the greater the risk to innocent bystanders, the police officers, and the person not stopping. While extremely dangerous for the officer involved, if he or she can terminate a pursuit with the PIT maneuver before backup arrives, most departments would appear to encourage that course of action. These days, a pursuit lasting more than a couple of minutes would be considered a long chase.

Not that it matters a whole lot, I think the Trooper involved did overreact. Given the distance traveled, I would have understood a high risk stop, or at the very least not approaching the vehicle until plenty of help arrived. As everyone has noted, the driver was certainly not attempting to get away by traveling at a high rate of speed. The poor attempt at the PIT maneuver is frankly embarrassing, but I have to give the caveat I've never attempted one myself, so I can't say I would do any better.

Someone mentioned this guy got arrested for doing what the police tell you to do if you don't feel safe. I have to admit, the only safety scenario regarding traffic stops that I've heard about is primarily directed at women, that if they are unsure the vehicle behind them is a real police car they are to head towards a well lit area with their four-way flashers on while calling 911 from a cell phone (if possible). It's up to the officer to decide if a location is safe for a traffic stop, especially since the officer is placed in the greatest danger by the motoring public during the stop. This guy didn't mention he didn't think the cop was real, only that he didn't like the location. He should have pulled over immediately like we all learned in driving school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:01 am 
1911 tainted

So next time the lights go on behind this guy, he should stop right where he is at, the far left lane of an interstate at night. :roll:

There is no excuse for this trooper, none.

Is it possible that everything was good, the trooper had no problem with what the driver was doing? At least not until she rear ended the guy because she wasn't paying attention and on the icy shoulder she was unable to stop? Maybe fast thinking on her part as to not wanting to admit that she just plain rear ended the guy.......

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.